View Single Post
Old August 14th, 2010, 07:55 PM   #10
online inline

80a is a little on the soft side, and i'd think the only reason to prefer such a soft wheel is if you were skating very rough terrain.

Go with at least an 84a for longer wheel life and faster roll, in general (but not in all cases)

Get a quality wheel, which makes a big difference. WHen i was on wheels of that size, Hyper were the wheels to get, and i think it was the +G that was a bullet proof sure bet.

Bad technique can also really shred a wheel fast, so you might want to see how you are wearing your wheels down. An even push through the full range of your stride, with all wheels theoretically in equal contact to the road, is the goal.

Avoid t-stops unless necessary, and rotate your wheels so the worn down wheels are not always taking the brunt of the wear, and thereby evening out the wear across all wheels.

Wheels that are worn will affect your form, so if form is something you are conscious of and trying to maximize, be aware that a wheel that is worn even about 1 1/2 mm can negatively impact your form (if profile is badly mis-shapen) and a wheel that's worn as much as 3 or 4 mm or more will just not skate at all like a new wheel. How long you can stand a worn wheel will depend on what you are trying to get from your skating, and how much your willing to drop to get back to optimal conditions.

With a little luck, assuming moderate trail conditions, moderate weight skater, 84mm/84a good quality wheel, rotated regularly, good form, a wheel could easily last you about 5 or 6 months of regular skating several times a week.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote