View Single Post
Old May 21st, 2016, 06:26 AM   #19
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
I don't think body weight is an issue (for the op) for "any" wheel other then say radar wheels (soft hubs), I don't think the roll line helium wheel's hub, is inferior (actually it's superior) and I've never heard of a roll line helium, hub failing, I do hear conjecture of the urethane getting cut's, (I have three very used set's no cut's), by "speed skaters", well, using them for dancing and exercising on a court is a best case scenario, I mounted up a new set today and with my Trucks (aftermarket D/A45's) had wheel bite for a 1/2 hour (it was weird,and a lot of work to keep moving), 64mm, great hub, outstanding urethane and a slim footprint, putting a set on a roll line plate is a win win situation, but, a 59mm or less wheel is a good learning tool, 56mm with a 10 or 18 degree action is fun and a great way to learn.
The thicker the urethane the more loss of energy, and the more weight carried, and wheel weight is the most critical to diminish.

Thick urethane only steals energy, it's doesn't have a "wave" between hub and ground that mystically gives back anything, it simply uses energy compressing and un-compressing, just like cushions, less is more
Here we go again. : /

If you were right about the roll line style wheels being so fast and good, why do long boarders who are after downhill speed use wheels with such thick urethane that "steals energy"?

Sometime tomorrow Ill be taking the roll lines vs atom poisons vs road hogs on several different surfaces. Finally got some time off work.

This "wave" is real. Its what happens when you roll over a surface. I never said that it propelled you. What happens is the urethane absorbs imperfect road and skating surfaces of outdoors, smoothing out the ride immensely. The roll lines cannot do this because the urethame is so flippin thin. The moment it starts to deflect/deform, its already at its limit for compression, everything else becomes vertical lift or it damages the urethanes crosslinking. Ontop of that the urethane doesnt seem to be very good, just from dropping a wheel you can see the energy potential of a wheel to maintain its roll. Good wheels bounce like crazy. Poor quality urethane wheels don't.

The wave of pressure and deflection travels around the wheel and inwards to the hub, since the wheels have ridges inside there if the urethane is thin , even on smooth ground mind you its like riding over a bunch of small ridges. This again falls back to the urethane being too thin. Simply put , the compressive wave has nowhere to go. If you watch iceroad truckers, you can see how compressive waves work as a semi drives across a road of ice. Granted its not the exact same, but the wave is there and the radial energy absorbed and ultimately consumed by such a thin layer is more in the roll lines than in any other wheel I have skated on outdoors.

To be fair ill test them thoroughly tomorrow.