View Single Post
Old May 13th, 2016, 04:29 AM   #57
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
Perpetual motion,
perpetual motion, the action of a device that, once set in motion, would continue in motion forever, with no additional energy required to maintain it. Such devices are impossible on grounds stated by the first and second laws of thermodynamics.

Perpetual motion, although impossible to produce, has fascinated both inventors and the general public for hundreds of years. The enormous appeal of perpetual motion resides in the promise of a virtually free and limitless source of power. The fact that perpetual-motion machines cannot work because they violate the laws of thermodynamics has not discouraged inventors and hucksters from attempting to break, circumvent, or ignore those laws.

And btw, if cold fusion were to exist, it would be breaking Newton's third law, not to speak of perpetual motion being a pipe dream, but I don't mind endlessly pointing out that these pseudo-science seeking people are indeed blowing smoke up yer butt.
Tell me again about the wave of urethane contained energy between the bottom of the hub and the ground accelerating a person, I so love fairy tales, and need convincing that someone isn't outright lying

Why in the hell you keep on this perpetual motion thing, like anyone on here believes it, is beyond me.

The setup on roll line heliums puts the urethane at such a constraint it cannot deal with the compressive wave which occurs when a person rolls on a wheel. This increases its rolling resistance. Take a good look at your wheels ursle(Mike ). Youll see a lot of raised ridges in the hub. This is a necessity of course to have something to lock the urethane in the hubs OD, however since it's so thin its rebound is significantly less. Uea im sure it makes no sense to you, but imagine a trampoline that needs a 10 inch spring that can expand to 2x its length for good bounceing properties. Now you cut that spring in half and expect the same performance from the trampoline. Its not going to happen.

I had a pair of mongoose inlines for my kid, they didnt fit right so I used the wheels for myself. Fairly decent wheels, or so I thought. They were 80 mm with a very large od hub and thin urethane. The urethane quality was good, little suckera would bounce well when dropped from a few inches, but not from a few feet. I figured going from the 72 mm hockey wheels I had on would be an kmprovement. Totally wrong. After about 12 to 15 mph it didnt matter how hard I pushed, the skates just wouldn't go any faster. I couldnt figure out why a larger wheel would be so slow. When I checked tje urethane thickness on them in comparison the 72s had a very small core and almost 1/2 inch of urethane between the hub od and the wheels od. The i0 mm wheels had half that. Only 1/4 inch of urethane around the hub..

What happens here is simply too much strain on the urethane because it is too thin, much like a spring that is too short on a trampoline will ueild a "dead" feeling. We arent talking about making energy from nothing, we are talking about rebound %. And the thinner the urethane gets the hard it has to work and the more likely rebound will drop.

Personally I dont have a problem with the roll line wheels not having good wear characteristics, i wouldnt really know, i did not skate them much, once outdoors for about an hour and for the skate session that night. They felt horrible, like hard plasticy fisher price wheels or something.

Ill get the kids review on poisons vs road hogs vs heliums. We got some rough and smooth asphalt sports right by the house.

If roll line had such breakthrough wheel tech and setuos for quad skates, the longboardwrs would have wheels that looked the same, giant hubs with no urethane. I think we all know that wouldnt work at all, and would be slow as mud. I do have a longboard, maybe ill play around with it soon. Too much OT right now tho :/