View Single Post
Old April 29th, 2010, 09:03 PM   #19
Armadillo

Default I doubt these outdoor skates are still availabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakelin View Post
Armadillo, I am considering picking these up for outdoor trail endurance practice. I know I am dragging this out of the depths a year later but I was hoping you could answer a few questions.

1) You mention putting the 70mm wheels up front. Are you saying to buy an extra set so that you have 70mm front and back? Or are you saying to just swap and have 70mm front, 65mm back? If you meant the latter, would it be better to have 70mm/70mm instead?

2) Would I notice a big difference between moving the front truck into the fullest forward position and ditching the traction control bar versus just leaving it where it comes right out of the box? If yes, what would the difference be?

My friend just bought outdoor wheels for his indoor skates and he said the trail was vibrating his feet to death. I was thinking that these would cost about the same as outdoor wheels and might be more cushioned. I also wouldn't have to mess with changing out my wheels. I wish I were more mechanically inclined, you guys have made some killer looking outdoor skates from the posts I have seen.
Good luck finding these skates anymore! If you can, let me know where please. [ ***WOW I checked LINK and they are still out there!]
You are correct that these skates come with a Hi/Lo wheel setup with 70mm in the rear and 65mm up front. The suggestion to swap wheels however demands that you either remove the toe stops or file them away where the 70mm wheels will rub against them (not a simple task).

Yes, for outdoor skating, dumping the bar and moving front truck full forward is the way to go. You will notice a big reduction in the tendency of your front wheels to stick in cracks or on surface debris. This is also why the 70mm wheels belong in the front.

BTW, I am also offering to do custom outdoor skate builds mounting any style of shoe/boot to any suitable plates (preferably NYLON), at any position that is workable for outdoor use (preferably reversed for heel stop). I especially advise people to find their ultimately comfortable well cushioned sport shoe, and then have it glue mounted to the nylon plate of their choice (screws can work - just not as well).

-Armadillo