View Single Post
Old September 11th, 2013, 10:27 PM   #25
shesk8

" I almost go crazy when I hear local coaches and young kids say that they don't want to inline because they are afraid of messing up their ice technique."
Ha! SkateMO, ya'd think I wrote that line... so true. (so, I will digress a bit into this) I am just not sure where that attitude comes from. We've seen it loosen up more and more as top inliners' come over to try their hand on the ice. And, you nailed it - inline talents do not all fare equal when transitioning to ice, no matter if you're 50 x world champ or not. Along with the humbling experience many have coming to ice is self-revelation of their skills, and it becomes a game of patience. (which is where I see Joey, trying to be patient and hone perfection, a bit like serving no wine before it's time). No top elite skaters wants to look like Bambi on ice, they want the fast-track path that Chad took, though it's rare for any to go that course. Freakishly strong played into Chad's favor, and as a good student, Chad did his homework and listened to his coaches. The irony here is that even Chad's ice coach, Bart, eventually had to succumb to the idea of double-push on ice. Bart was a very traditionally trained ice coach, with non inline background, so now imagine when he had a world champ of inline, 'the king of DP' as we all know him, land in his midst. You don't teach a guy like Chad traditional push - rather you take his talent, style, & strength and hone 'em! Back then the conversations of DP and differences in technique on ice vs inline got deeply engrossed. To this day I laugh at how hubby (my partner, who was also training under Bart at the time) would banter with Bart back/forth for hours in seemingly never-ending conversion to the Big DP on ice debate: "yes, you can" - "no, you can't". And, the answer: yes, you can. But, it's not really a Q of whether you can or cannot DP on ice, but the more important skill to posses is to know how to physically and technically move back/forth between the 2 different technical disciplines, and to find what works best for you. Roger Schneider comes to mind as a skater who executes shifting his DP between ice & inline technique very well, his ice style almost verbatim mimics his inline style. While other skaters posses clearly 2 different styles between ice & inline.

That said, and to circle back to SkaterMO's comment - those who whine that they will ruin their ice technique if they cross-train on inline probably don't posses very good ice technique as it is. There is a lot of 'muscling' of ones way thru it there. At some point strength & power are head-walled and all that is left is technique to pull you thru to that next level. If one cannot change up technique then they won't progress. Inline may benefit those nay-sayer ice skaters reluctant to try inline. While there are differences between ice & inline, in just engaging in both sports their awareness of those differences become heightened, and in turn their awareness of their own ice skills may start to be perceived differently, and just maybe that helps them progress forward to break thru technical issues they may be having. It's always worth the try, they just have to take that step onto wheels. The more we see ice/inline skaters like Michel Mulder, of Netherlands as a champion of both ice & inline, the more folks will come around and engage in both sports. And, with increased participation in both sports we would hope to see resulting growth in both disciplines. So, while events may come/go - though we'd like to see them stay - I think bringing more people into both ice & inline sports gives opportunity to help increase the # of events in years to come. Skating has certainly not gone away, but it has taken backseat to many other sports. From grass roots perspective, as skaters, we simply need to make commitment to attend events to support them.

Now, because this is always on my mind and Duluth is coming up... That Chad's Duluth course record still stands to day blows us all away. How can this be in the age of faster, technically advanced dual density wheels, carbon frames, and state of the art bearings and equipment? The one we joke we make with customers is that what we do not sell is the equipment needed to break those records. Now, will somebody please, please go to Duluth and squash that darn record!!
shesk8 is offline   Reply With Quote