Thread: Nordic or not
View Single Post
Old July 7th, 2018, 11:59 AM   #9
Monkeybeaver

Been out on them both now a few times & my feelings haven't really changed.
I've had to adjust both pairs in order to get a centre edge, which I find very odd as in both my ice & inline hockey skates I do not have a problem with that at all (thankfully as there is no way to adjust them).
I'm getting used to the Powerslides braking system, the cuff is still very stiff & I have to push forward on the cuff to kind of reset the brake after using it. After using them for a while I don't think another cuff brake would be usable at the same time, the motion to operate both is in the manual but it means sitting back over the rear of the skates & at this point in time I know that would not end well for me. The only advantage would be that you could alternate which foot does the braking. The Skike brakes are still easier to use but because of the relative flatness of my local area I really don't need the stopping power, starting to use the same 1 foot braking style that the Powerslides need in the Skikes.
I still feel much more unstable on the Skikes, although its getting better. The Powerslides are still a much more enjoyable skate pure because of the support the boot give. I am regretting selling my old ice skates now as I think that mounting the boots to the Skikes (without the tendon guard) would have solved most of the issues. So far I have skated them both 4 times each, every time I've been out in the Skikes I've had a fall, I've yet to have a fall in the Powerslides. All the falls I've had have been due to the terrain shifting the balance of the skates & me not being able to correct it in time, I'm sure this is due to the lack of ankle support they give. It may be better in higher boots but I don't have anything that will fit so have been skating them in running shoes. I also have very thin ankles & high insertion calfs so the calf strap doesn't really go around my calf & is a little on the big side, that might also have an impact on the stability.
I'm going to continue to skate both, for different reasons. I do find the Powerslides more fun, mainly because they are easier for me to control at the moment. I will probably use these for longer skates.
I can feel the extra effort the Skikes require to stabilise them & as I said before that can only be a good thing for the rest of my skating.
I have used the poles almost from day 1. In the first 7 times I managed to get out I have snapped 2 pole tips by getting the end caught in a crack or manhole cover. That level of tip replacement is not sustainable so I have fitted some rubber feet instead of the carbide tips, skated them yesterday & they seemed to slip a lot. I think I may have mounted them backwards however, on a bit off a steep learning curve here, no instructions with the tips & not much information out there in English. I have turned them round today, see how that goes on tomorrows skate. I have also ordered, from a different shop, some more new tips & a rubber foot that is designed to push fit over the carbide tip. From the pictures online it looks like the tip just protrudes so hopefully I'll still get the grip the carbide tip provides but the rubber will limit how far into ay crack it will go & stop it snapping & ion I decide to go a bit off road I can just slip off the rubber instead of having to do a complete re-glueing of tips.
The plan of using these as transport skates is a bit of a non starter. The rolling resistance is quite high & so the effort required to keep moving is also quite high, even on relatively smooth tarmac skating them without the poles is an amazing leg workout. Thats good in a piece of exercise equipment, not so much for transportation. There are 150mm PU wheels available for both (think the Skikes are actually 145mm), I'm sure they would be a much better option if I were to start using them as transportation skates.
Monkeybeaver is offline   Reply With Quote