Thread: 1 skate for all
View Single Post
Old June 21st, 2019, 04:34 PM   #11
Sir Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient1 View Post
I never liked stiff boots.
Yes, a lot of old timers like yourself love the 297s. One guy I know skates with his boots untied and can do loops with a cup of coffee in his hand. And I've sold a number of pairs to old timers who love the boots and love the updated 297s. Also had a lot of success putting those same people into custom boots for dance and figures based on their unique needs. Riedell makes an excellent custom boot, if you like the traditional leather. Honestly, the shop I used to work for made more money off the Riedell's than other boots. If you a traditional leather boot, they're a fantastic company. I think their custom boots are better than Harlick.

Quote:
Yes, Super deluxe is old school and they are heavy, and I will agree to that. That still doesn't negate that many gold level skaters used them in the day and swore by them.
LOL. Back in the day.... I love it.

There is something to be said for the heavy weight of the plate. A lot of coaches now swear by the Hudor plate because of the very heavy weight. However, the super deluxe is ugly, difficult to adjust on the fly, and only uses rubber cushions.

Quote:
It feels better for me on the heavier old school. Some people love liver, some don't. On the old school, I could do triples and my spins and footwork. I could dance and figures. I also felt better on them and I could rex and speed skate in sessions with them very well.
Well, you did all those things because you were a good skater. A good skater can overcome a lot of deficiencies. The skate technology of the new frames has significantly improved in every measure. Sure, you're comfortable in what you've been wearing since childhood. I get it. And your comfort might be the most important aspect of fitting you for a decent skate now. But I'd never recommend a new skater start with that setup.

Quote:
Overall you are looking more at a realistic price of $800 to $1,200 for a good pair of competition setup skates because you also need toe stops, bearings and wheels to add to that and also tax and shipping and handling and build cost of you buy from a place like Connies Skate Place. And just a plug for Connies: They are long time competition skaters and will do a correct build and provide good advice if you would like it. I would trust them more than the local rink of today who has a kid off the street putting the skates together.
If you want to go with an Edea/Roll Line setup, that would be less expensive and allow for more flexibility. That's another advantage of the newer boots and plates. You can't overboot and the frames are much easier to adjust with click action. I put all new skaters in Edea now. (whereas before, I used to put everyone in Riedell or Jackson).

I've also done much business with Connie's. Very good people.
Sir Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote