View Single Post
Old March 29th, 2016, 05:53 PM   #9
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

The farther forward an axle is on your boot the more lift you will receive from a given input from your ankles. Depending on where the rear axle is will change the pressure you need to lift the front up. As Richard pointed out about the aussie style forward mount, it makes it much easier to lift the front of the skate because more of the heel is on the other side of the rear axle. Now skating backwards in that damn setup, I can only imagine how that can go horribly wrong very quickly over the wrong terrain or a unseen stick etc.

For skating outdoors its not so much a concern of how high you can lift the front axle by lifting your toes and rearwardly shifting your weight to the heels, its how much movement you get from an opposing force or object that attempts to bump into your front axle and trip you up.

My preference is as far forward as possible, and the rear to pivot directly under my heel, just as if my heel was on the ground. For this I ended up with a ridiculously long plate by most peoples standards. 193mm wheelbase on a size 10 vanilla freestyle. My feet are 283mm long. The total plate le gth on a size 12 arius is 280mm