View Single Post
Old March 31st, 2016, 05:48 AM   #14
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsk8s View Post
I have been trying to follow my wife outdoors now for the last 3 years and cannot keep up with her because she is way better at running over acorns, pebbles and squirrels than I am. That is due to a few things; her ability to skate very well and her plate length. If her plate was any longer (keeping the front axles in place and moving the rear further back) she would most assuredly fall, well maybe not fall but ...

If the rear axles are further back to just beyond the heels or even more you lose the ease of being able to lift the front of your skate to roll over those little obstacles that you encounter along the trails.

Here's a comparison: Long board skateboard down hill with drop through trucks vs a long board with a kick tail.

Another thing, Dillo, how would side surfing at 30+ mph downhill work out for ya with a skateboard mount? Or those heel spins? Not everyone skates like you I'm sure (thank goodness).

A properly placed/length plate can be loads of fun, not work, outside.
For one minute here, let's all just forget about rear axle locations, and efficiency at transferring more (or less) weight onto the rear wheels/axles, and how this helps to get the front wheels to go up and over the nasties coming at us as we roll outdoors.

Imagine just two identical statues fitted up on quads rolling down a slight uniform slope of medium rough asphalt. The laws of PHYSICS dictate that, if:

1) BOTH the front AND rear axles of both statues are carrying the same load and only their rear axles are at same locations;
2) The plates of one statue are longer giving a wheelbase that puts its front axles a full INCH further forward than the other statue (one inch shorter WB);
3) Then the statue with the longer wheelbase will ALWAYS roll faster down the slope, because the longer plate has better leverage for pushing the front wheels up, out of, over, and past any surface imperfections that the urethane drops down into as the front wheels roll.

Outdoors, quad plates rolling on rough surfaces are continuously rocking and bouncing up and down from the bumps and dips encountered.
With only two axles, the plate has NO OPTION but to rock, unlike inlines.

When a longer wheelbase plate gets rocked upward, from surface imperfections, it takes less WORK to be driven upward as it deals with transitioning over those imperfections.

This means the statue rolling on the longer WB plates will roll further & faster.
No "wheelies" are required in this scenario, but the principle of how & why longer wheelbase plates roll better, especially when the front axles are forward to the max, should be more clear. Momentum is more efficiently conserved, with vertically oscillating axles, by having a longer wheelbase plate.

I agree though that making your outdoor quad plate too excessively long toward the rear is going to hinder a skater's ability to make quick, rearward weight shifting adjustments when the front wheels are about to encounter something upward protruding, and when getting most of the load OFF the front axle(s) would help most for preventing a face plant.

-Armadillo

Last edited by Armadillo; April 1st, 2016 at 07:36 PM.
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote