View Single Post
Old October 5th, 2017, 10:53 PM   #5
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmil2 View Post
Hey again, gang! I go 5-10/250 lb. and need to find the right combination to get a decent roll so I don't feel like I'm fighting my equipment to get around the floor. I recently bought a combo with Riedell 120's, Century plates, Bones Art Elite 57mm/101A wheels, Bones Super Reds and Snyder toes and I can't seem to get these things to roll worth a crap. I've tried 62mm/98A wheels on maple and it feels like I'm skating on marshmallows. Last night after I got back from the rink I pulled wheels and bearings, cleaned out the original Bones Speed Cream and replaced it with 3-in-1 oil. If that doesn't do much for them I'm going to try a set of Qube 8-balls. Maybe having the extra ball in there will distribute and hold up under the load of my big arse better? Or maybe I just need to lose some weight...
Even @ your weight, the Bones wheels should roll @ 101. As far as the bearings, I don't think 3 in 1 will make any difference in roll. I typically use synthetic (Royal Purple) wheel bearing grease in my bearings but I'm lazy, have lots of sk8s and hate cleaning bearings. Grease is a big plus there.

Personally I (as in the derby league Jam'N'Speed sponsors) have had better luck w/ Qube 8 balls that Bones Reds, but Qubes come lubed w/ Kluber grease.

So why don't we roll?? Could be a lot of other things. How tight are the axle nuts? Are the plates correctly aligned? How long has it been since you sk8ed??

Lots of guesses but without having the sk8s in my hands I cannot say for certain.

OK Marshall, your shot.