View Single Post
Old October 10th, 2017, 02:20 AM   #13
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmil2 View Post
One point at a time:
Each wheel has about a millimeter of side-to-side on the axles.
The cushions are the factory ones for the plate (Sure-Grip, black, likely medium).
My trucks are adjusted to about half an inch deflection up and down on both sides (not tight, but not loose either) and I have the maneuverability and control I like without them feeling squirrely.
The plate is the Century, factory-mounted, back of the plate maybe 1/4" from the back edge of the heel, front axles pretty close at the ball of the foot. They aren't toe-heavy of heel-heavy, feel pretty well balanced (now me, that's another story).
The boots are brand-new Riedell 120's, not quite broken in yet and been trying to get the lacing like I like it and even on both feet. They don't hurt and I'm not having any trouble with numb toes or cramping, just a bit stiff still.
I think some of it could be the floor; the rink I've been going to has maple, not very well finished, over (?). Floors could be a big piece of the puzzle.
My last skates, which I'd had since high school, were 70's-vintage Gold Stars, Classic plates, Bones 57/101 wheels and original Fafnir bearings. I had the exact same trouble with them at the rink I was skating, same kind of floor.
I chose the Century plate this time because they're essentially the same plate as the Classic, just with regular pivots. I'm comfortable and familiar with the action on them. The boots are, while a step down in quality, still decent-quality Riedells. The wheels are a return to what worked before and the only major difference is the bearings in them.
In my opinion, you are comfortable on your skates, but, the skates are not behaving by giving you enough traction to lean on them for the required push to get speed out of them. The wheels break loose well before you can give a good stroke to increase speed. So you may be skating conservatively and lack of speed is becoming apparent. You may want to go to a more grippy wheel to take advantage of the hardwood. A 96 or 97 wheel set would be softer but the grip will get you up to speed.
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote