Thread: Photobucket
View Single Post
Old July 5th, 2017, 01:23 AM   #1
wired

Default Photobucket

Bad news!

Photobucket says photo-f**k-it, starts off-site image shakedown

Photobucket accused of blackmail after quietly requiring users to pay $400 a year to hotlink

Amazon and eBay images broken by Photobucket's 'ransom demand'

Photobucket Just Broke Billions of Photos Across the Web

I just saw the first "ransomware" image here in one of Doc's threads. I have looked at some of my posts and the images still show up even after dumping the cache. I did pay Photobucket some money a LONG time ago when I was hosting a bunch of pix. I'm sure that has expired and it was nowhere near $400/yr. I have never linked images on Photobucket to a commercial site like eBay.

While I sympathize with PB when the images they are hosting for free are used for commercial endeavors it is disheartening to see them destroy web content this way. Like many here I have spent considerable time consuming and hopefully adding to the skating hive mind. If all this content goes missing it is a loss to all.

I understand why site owners don't want the additional expense of storing images and the bandwidth required to host images. However that decision and resultant policy now has consequences. I wonder if Photobucket would allow a site to download all linked images as a fix?

Without a fix it is just another nail in the coffin of forums.

I tried copying a image location and using it as a URL hoping would allow me to go directly to the image on Photobucket but once there I still get the ransomware image along with a bombardment of ads. Truly evil...

What is happening to others?