View Single Post
Old February 5th, 2019, 07:15 PM   #13
Ancient1

For me the harder wheels are better for spins and turns. you won't have to lift your non pivot wheels so high to get your turn or spin to do a tight pivot because the harder wheels slide and not grab or at least the grab less. Also using a harder wheel, you will be standing straighter with a more correct edge and lean, where a softer wheel allows you to twist and bend and still maintain somewhat of a turn or spin. The downside to the soft wheel also is it is slower and the spin stops sooner. That's my 2 pennies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oicusk82huh View Post
Hey! Thanks for the responses. You can't imagine how many times I re-read this thread. I wanted a plate to feel just like the Mistral, but I didn't want the toe stopper.

The Giotto was the right decision. I could never go back to toe-stoppers. I don't jump.

The boot/plate and wheels I ended up with are my current gold-standard
They are level-appropriate. I know everyone's skate set up is constantly evolving, and I'm sure mine will too again, but right now I've found my Nirvana.

I ended up on a Riedell 172 boot, Roll Line Giotto plate with my old Varsity Plus wheels (with the metal rim). The Roll Line Ice wheels 95A were just a little to soft for multiple 3turns. If anything at this point I'd try an All American Plus wheel. I do like spinning on one foot. Would that extra hardness help?