View Single Post
Old May 1st, 2012, 01:33 AM   #39
SwisherTONE
I 'do' Swisher Sweet #143

Location: North Los Angeles Quad Speed Skater www.SwisherSkate.com SWISHER Skating Products (coming soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
You could say any newer DA45 plate is "based off" the design of any earlier model 45 degree action plate, since it only takes a 30 degree kingpin angle to produce an ~45 degree action. Then just add a set of DA trucks.

As for the Avenger being based on the Magnum, I am really not seeing this, and if it was true, it would be best kept quiet.

-Armadillo
FROM THE SURE GRIP AVENGER Specs Sheet: (a quote verbatim) -

"The Avenger plate concept was derived from the 45 degree Magnum and 45 degree Invader skate plates of the late 70’s early 80’s. Over the last few years a lot of emphasis has been placed on strong light weight products for speed and derby. In the 80’s we developed the single action Magnum speed plate for this purpose, produced in both aluminum and magnesium, this plate was very light and very strong.
Recently we have seen a greater awareness for this style plate; we saw it fitting to redesign it using modern technology and what we came up with was the Avenger
"

Quote:
Magnum placed the toe stop socket very close to the front axle - good for forward mounts. Avenger sticks the stop out further.

Again, a quote, verbatim-

"Shortened front end: For those who want to get aggressive with their short forward mounts (Essentially a Speed Mount) can now do so with plenty of room to spare so the plate will not hang over the front of your boot. The Avenger is optimized for the short forward set up but a standard mount is still possible"

But Sure Grip may be wrong. lol

Quote:
If the Avenger plate design stands on the shoulders of the Magnum for its inspiration, then inspiration better mean seeing the shortcomings of a prior design and eliminating them for the next generation, because only in that role could the Magnum be much of an inspiration for designing a serious speed plate, which, IMO, the Avenger is clearly not.

Well, I'm a serious speed skater (over two decades competitively). I've skated SG Century's, Magnums, PD Reactors, Paioli plates, all competitively. All of them were good, all of them. Most recently, on the PD Reactor. I "Test Drove" an Avenger plate set up for a week before I decided to switch. I left the Reactor and I win Races on my Avenger 'speed plate'. I don't know what else to say to prove it? Sure Grip says it, I skate one successfully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
Just a quick reality check
The Magnum is an S/A45, not a D/A 45, and the trucks(to make it a D/A45 from an S/A45) cobbled into the magnum are arbitrary, so if the avenger is a coin flip of the magnum... that's two strikes.

The first strike is a pressed KP
THe Avenger is not a "new age Magnum". It's not a 'coin flip' of that plate (which was a preettty darn good plate anyway) But it's based off of the initial Magnum Speed plate conncept and technologically refined to modern specs and ideas of what a fast/light weight plate should be..... and People make assumptions who have never mounted one and raced one... I have. Buy one, mount one, race one, and THEN make a true experienced comment. Makes sense to me. And a pressed in Kingpin??? BIG EFFIN DEAL... it's past proven technology. Just because one or three have semi-failed, doesn't mean isht. Out of how many hundreds sold?? Gimme a break.

BTW, on another note: 'Dilla! Me and my Derby-sexy might be headin to Chi-town ( I have some business to handle there)... you gonna hang out with, and show us the good places to skate?

We wanna hit some really cool outdoor places (as well as Rinks) and I know that Chicago is one of the best places to skate outdoors !!

I <3 Speed Skating & Derby ~ Swisher Sweet#143 (best Jammer EVER)
SwisherTONE is offline   Reply With Quote