View Single Post
Old July 7th, 2011, 08:10 AM   #5
online inline

besides all the normal stuff about warning early, etc., i only want to add that you might as well adapt to what fate will throw you. You know that the trails are unusually crowded now for the upcoming event, and it will soon be over.
So do this: Schedule your trail visits so as to maximize your chances of getting the best skate experience in that you can. If you want to do unbridled speed, go at a time of the day when it's least crowded, and in addition, when you find that it is not, just schedule in a workout that emphasizes something that is do-able under the conditions, like long-steady-distance, or drills, or confine your workout to sprints on some isolated section of the trail with good visibility. Also, maybe now would be a good time to get some other training under your belt, and hit the trails hard once the trail-hogs are gone.
Maybe you need to build some diversity into your training anyways, and this temporary trail congestion is just the catalyst you need.
Another little trick is to find a cyclist that is going at a pace you feel comfortable at, and tag along behind him about 10 feet back, just far enough back that you are almost in his draft, but won't make him uncomfortable. Let him do the trail clearing for you, and you will soon discover that people get out of the way for an oncoming bike in a way they won't for a skater. But you need to be careful when and if the cyclist goes around someone at the same time their is an approaching group, or if the cyclist needs to stop, you have to be able to stop without colliding....
I need to schedule my workouts along these kind of considerations almost all the time. So go with the flow, my friend. After doing this for many years, i can tell you that fighting it takes just too much emotional energy, and it's a tough road to go down time after time.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote