View Single Post
Old March 15th, 2012, 06:14 AM   #16
Jim

On a trail rule list, the most important safety rule (and probably the most forgotten) that should come right after "Stay to the right except for passing" is "DO NOT PASS ON BLIND CURVES".

My local trail is the most fun trail I've ever been on, and one of the most fun things about it are the steep curvy downhills. They really eliminate the monotony that I get when skating on roads.

I agree with everybody who said that we must be courteous to other trail users. Hikers are the worst but I try to understand them. They don't use the trail nearly as much as the fitness users do, so they're not as aware of the dangers as we are. They come to the trail to get away from their everyday lives. As they experience the beautiful pristine settings of the park, their troubles, worries, fears, and anxieties recede into the background, and their minds become absorbed by the sights, sounds, and smells of nature.

And then suddenly out of nowhere, I appear.....A skater coming around a high speed downhill turn at 30-40 MPH.....and they turn into mortified scream queens. Even some of the guys turn into scream queens. I have seen eyeballs get so big I thought they were going to explode. I have seen leashed dogs nearly get beheaded as their panicky owners frantically jerk the poor critters out of my path.

I have seen all that and more, and that's why I wear a helmet and pads on most trails. Yes, it would be a good rule to post, but don't count on a whole lot of these people to bother reading signs.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote