View Single Post
Old November 26th, 2009, 11:52 PM   #13
Curious Cat
Hockey Nut

Sorry, I got in late on this topic

Mini bearings require wheels that support them (668 micro hub wheels) e.g. rink rat mb816 and apropriate spacers (6mm or 8mm) - spacers are what sits between the bearings inside the wheels, you need these.

wheel -> bearing -> spacer -> bearing -> wheel

I have never used sleves... they are an adapter part and generally not needed. I believe these sit on the axel to convert a 6mm axel to 8mm if you are using an 8mm set up (I have never had to use them).

Personally, I dont think the micro route is worth it at all. I dont know anyone who has tried it and ultimately stuck with it.

IMO the best thing to do is simply, put some standard size swiss bearings in there (bsb or bones depending on what side of the fence you sit). (have you noticed that top of the line skates have swiss bearings (or titanium, of which Im not a huge fan of))

A good set of bearings are worth their weight in gold and swiss bearings are where its at for hockey

When you put a wheel into the chassis and tighten it up (do not over tighten or you will stip the axels), it will always apperar to rotate slower.

Trust me, a good stride is more beneficial than the top of the line bearings or wheels. When it feels funny, is that after you have been skating a while? It may be that your ankles are getting tired and you are riding you inside edges - hockey skates suck when it comes to ankle support, it will take you a while to strengthen these up (not as much as propper speed skates).

Speed is also influenced by the "hardness" of your wheels. For hockey harder wheels == more speed but less grip. Depending on your surface and skill level you may want to run harder wheels at the back and softer wheels at the front.

Any specific questions, ask away and Ill do my best to answer them

I assume you are playing hockey.

Hockey generally a game about short bursts of speed, stopping and turning, so you dont really want a speed set up. The better you get, the less likely you are to get a breakaway and be given the space to go coast to coast with the puck

Last edited by Curious Cat; November 27th, 2009 at 05:43 AM.
Curious Cat is offline   Reply With Quote