View Single Post
Old February 21st, 2018, 05:56 AM   #6
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oicusk82huh View Post
Actually, my current set up is (in my eyes) pure perfection. I'm in love with my skates. All I had to do was get a harder wheel for sliding and spinning on one foot (and loosen the action).

OK... I have always found the Power Dyne line kind of boring out of the box. I have a couple of sets of Reactors. Neither are stock.

The TRUTH is that I'd LOVE a pair of Riedell 172 boots, solely because they look sooooooooo cool.

They do.

Some of my favorite skaters skate on those, and we skate similarly. They bought their boots and frames separately.

Most sk8 builder like me see that as the way to personal perfection. The stuff that come already built is typically assembled to a generic recipe and you get a generic sk8. It may work well for you, it may suck..

Most of them (on that boot) have Snyder plates. So I've been looking at those Snyder frames. Here's what I've found....
https://www.skates.com/Snyder-roller...s-s/520390.htm

Pretty much covers the like. There are a couple off cool ones that are no longer made not shown any more, but the page you linked to is pretty complete.

Most of those are either 10 degree or 45 degree.

OK lets sort actual measurements from "advertising". Snyder plates are either 15 or 30. No 10s no 45s. They are all either based on the Super Deluxe action or the Imperial action.. They may have other names but when the DNA is traced back, those are the parents.

I believe my friends have the 10 degree, but they don't do cones. Also I have a jam plug. My friends don't have any toe stop at all. Do you have an opinion on that?

If a plate comes in an NTS version it is what I have. If it does not, Then it gets a plug. Some Jam Sk8rs do "plug spins" I don't get into that. The plugs just fills the hole so I don't wreck someones floor.

My real dream was the Roll Line Matrix, but then I saw that $800 price tag!

And?? I have built a few pair on speed boots. (not much into high tops) In most cases you get what you pay for however I am NOT a fan of the Matrix.. Without getting into a crap ton of details, it does not sk8 like any other Roll Line due to the shorter barrel cushions. Cool plate but needs the Energy suspension.

Plus I don't see anyone on 172's with Roll Lines.

I have done it. Put Energy's on 172 in North Carolina years back. Pro tip. Figure out what you think you would like, then find an expert and discuss it w/ them. Just because you don't see it does not mean it is not a good combo. You are just seeing the flock all rolling the same stuff. Not because it's the best either.

It looks like at the rinks I frequent, they mostly have the Roll Line's on an art-type boot.

And the 172 evolved from??? Arty boots. When you get right down to it all of Riedells line evolved from art boots. The first speed boot just had a shortened cuff. The shorter heels. Then they figured out that different types of sk8ing needed different details to get max performance.

So I think I've narrowed it down to a 172 Riedell boot with some type of Snyder plate. I'm thinking a 10 degree plate with soft cushions and I'd loosen the action.

Amusing concept... loosening the action. All my Snyder have the actions set to zero pre load. Any looser and you get rattle. That loose introduces a dead band in the middle which makes it really hard to roll straight.

Do you have any opinion on jam plug verse no stopper at all? Have you ever made that switch?

I spelled that out above..

I do a lot of spins where I put my right toe down on the floor while I sit and spin my left leg around and vice versa. Is my jam plug crucial for that?

I suspect having the plug keeps one from spinning on the toe of the boot..

I'm only asking you because you seem like a great resource.

Pro Tip. Go back and read my stuff. Pages and pages.. over 12000 posts.. Here, in the quad forum and the derby forum.... You may find many of your questions answered.

Again, I'm sorry if I'm making you nuts.

You're not. I do see I have to help you past some misconceptions, but I have made a career of that...

I'm dying now because I didn't know what you were referring to SEDS! HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA...... IT'S SOOOOOO TRUE

Word on the street is I'm patient Zero. I have 3rd stage SEDS or I am immune. I am never sure which.

I come from 30 years of slalom inline skating (that's why I always call the plate a "frame").

Figured as much. My daughter was a national level inline speed sk8r.. I cross vocabulary accidentally from time to time.

I thought I was having fun until I made the transition to quads. Now I know true love. HA!

Yeah I know that feeling. Look, shoot me a PM.... I'll be frank, I'm tired of typing. Maybe we can find another way to do this.