View Single Post
Old January 20th, 2016, 03:50 PM   #2
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Ya need a local expert to show you where your going wrong, or to video yourself and watch videos of expert skaters to see what your doing wrong.

Stopping skills are #1 priority, always. If they are good enough, virtually no downhill obstacle is too much.

Dont roll feet side by side. Stagger them, one in front, one slightly behind. The forward foot "searches" if you will, for bad ground. If it gets hung up it gives you time to lift the rear foot and exchange it with the forward foot that gets stuck. Like catching yourself during a trip up when walking. Imagine trying to take a 30 inch step, but your foot got snagged at 25 inches out instead of the full stride, well, its similar. The ground tries to drag your foot back, and out from under you, with it forward, youll feel that resistance sooner and be able to adjust for it.

One can keep their feet pretty close together(just dont clip your own wheels), your not going to be negotiating lateral disturbaces, mainly fore/aft stability issues. So constant striding, or feet staggered with the body in the middle of them is prime.

Falling does suck. Learn to fall correctly. EVERYONE FALLS. 20 years of skating and I still fall once in a while, usually from simple things lol.

Spend time just walking around on carpet in your skates. Learn where your clearances are, and how the skates differ from barefoot or shoes. This way you get used to their proximity in various situations and stepping. This will minimize clipping them and reduce fall potential.

When standing still, ALWAYS hold 2 different angles of attack. Skates should never be parallel to each other. That is a recipe for disaster. If skates are positioned pointing at differe t anggles you will be able to hold your position or modulate it by squeezing ypur legs together, or pushing them apart.

When you execute a T stop, do it slowly. Speed will come.

There are some "prerequisites " though.
#1 balance on 1 foot.

If you can't remain stable on one foot for a few seconds, doing a T stop will be difficult.

#2 edging.
If you cant use your edges to counter the braking torque from using only 1 side of your body, youll either turn while doing it, or end up doing a spin stop.

When doing a T stop with the right foot for instance , you will slow down the right side of your body and the left side that is just coasting will still be going slightly faster. This makes you turn to the right. To stop this from happening, simply use the "outside edge" with your left foot. IE- stand on the "blade" of your left foot and lift the arch (inside edge). This will cause the quad skate to turn to the left slightly and balance out the T stop, making it more stable.

Remember, less is more. Better form first, then you can add more weight and power to that braking foot. You will also need to stiffen your abs to keep your core from twisting.

During a T stop , dont try to make a perfect T. Thats actuslly a bad thing. Its more like an L or a 70 to 85 deg angle. If the skate is perpendicular to the line of travel you could develop flat spots on your wheels. They can stop spinning if they aren't held at an angle. I usually pull my heels toward each other, not my instep/arch in behind my heel. It makes for a constricted posture and is harder to recover from.

Faster stops are spin stops, plow stops, and hockey stops.

Last edited by Mort; January 20th, 2016 at 05:58 PM.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote