View Single Post
Old November 6th, 2015, 04:26 PM   #2
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

If you have done inlines, your probably used to no brakes, so... Need stoppers? Might want to do a NTS (No Toe Stop) build.

Id go for a proline with 8 mm axles. Im unsure nowadays, but once upon a time they came in 5 and 10 degree kingpin variants. I think some were made with NTS setup

A snyder advantage is a 15 deg plate, it would also work well and is the same price range.

Speaking from personal experience, what kingpin angle you choose will not be the determining factor to how much agility or maneuverability one will have. Certianly there are tradeoffs, at some point if 2 equivelant skaters using different gear, youll notice one has a bit more top end speed or one is a little faster to cut left to right or do a tight circle. However its practically unperceivable. That is once the plate is set up to allow the user to skate their way, there is little difference between say even a rental skate and a high end race setup. The longer the plate though the less it does turn, but you can get a steeper kingpin and a longer wheelbase to have a good middleground skate,

Firsr thing and the most important is, How long of a plate do you like? Basically where do you like your front and rear axles for pivoting. Like when you go on your toes or heels for some flashy dance or jam moves. A super long plate like my setup isnt good for iceberg, also the action angle makess it harder too. (Size 10 vanilla freestyle boot, size 12 arius plate :45 degree plate: with softer 80A cushions)

Leverages start to play into footwork moves, as your ankle must be strong enough to deal with how far forwars the axle is. Though a longer plate can in a way protect your boot because the pivot angle before the boot scrapes is increased. The farther forward the axle is the more top speed potential. So theres a lot of little things to decide as well that will factor into your skating.

Arius plate is under 400, its very light(359 grams for mine), can turn very well, is extremely precise, but.... it isnt good for outdoors if you ask me due to how solid it is. Its truck rides on a axis pin and bushings, not urethane cushions, so it doesnt absorb impacts and shocks as well.