View Single Post
Old May 15th, 2007, 09:27 PM   #20
IraSiegel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGwinner View Post
Nice pics, sorry for your booboo.

Hi, I'm a beginner down in Torrance.

I went to Venice beach to buy my skates, but I'm just getting up to parallel turns, so I didn't try skating there. While I was there I went running on the path and was told by a bicycler that only bikes could be on the path.

There ARE big signs that say "bicycles only" with an arrow but that could mean "bicycles can only go this direction in this lane".

Is that true? There's no WAY I'm skating in the pedestrian area once I get good enough, it was hard enough to run through the crowd on the 'pedestrian path' It's just nuts.

I'm in Torrance so I'd be on the Redondo end, but want to make sure I don't piss people off by skating (or running) on the wrong path.

Thanks,

== John ==
Hi John,
The signs, where they exist, are pretty easy to understand. Your interpretation gave me a laugh. According to a police officer I spoke to about the issue, only bicycles are allowed on the bike path in Santa Monica where there is a footpath relatively nearby and, technically, skaters are prohibited just like walkers. Bicyclists on the Venice and Santa Monica bike paths generally don't mind skaters. (See this web page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Strand_(bicycle_path)) for a funny comment about what happens if a bicyclist hits a skater.) It's the walkers that cause many of the problems. (People who let their kids run across the bike paths when they are going from the parking lots to the beaches cause problems, too.) Walkers are often 3 and 4 abreast, amazingly oblivious to the traffic whizzing by them at 10-20 mph. Where there is a separate, parallel walkway (as is the case for most, but not all, of the 6 mile stretch from Temescal Canyon to Washington Boulevard), there is no excuse for walkers on the bike paths. Runners are generally tolerated as are skaters since runners are moving fast enough and generally are smart enough to stay far to the right, while walkers, amazingly, are not smart enough.
As it turns out, however, the police stopped enforcing the rule against pedestrians on the bike paths a long time ago.

Last edited by Kathie Fry; June 28th, 2007 at 02:57 PM.
IraSiegel is offline   Reply With Quote