S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old July 23rd, 2010, 04:49 AM   #21
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileySk8s View Post
Armadillo- I skated the course last weekend. There is one rough choppy part on Central Rd east of Huntington to watch out for... heads up. And hopefully the dead raccoon will be picked up by Sunday too

Remember- registration/packet pick up on Friday night is not at the Village Hall like last yr, but at the Prairie Stone Sports and Wellness Center in Hoffman Estates. Sat/Sun is at the course center circle (see map).

Also, FYI, another fun Chicago skate opportunity is coming Sept 18 - Blackhawks (you know those guys on skates that won the Stanley Cup this yr?) Mad Dash to Madison 10K skate. http://www.chicagoevents.com/event.cfm?eid=175
Thanks for the heads up, and I will be getting my packet on Fri. to hopefully avoid the rush.

I could not find any course map for the Mad Dash to Madison.
Knowing the sad quality of Chicago street paving, I would only consider participating in such an event on QUADS if I can scope out just how bad the course's pavement surface will be in advance of registering.
I have already hit the pavement one too many times this year with two broken kingpins, so a rough surfaced 10K race is not exactly that appealing to me. If the street surface quality is decent though, I am all in fot this race.

-Armadillo
Old July 23rd, 2010, 01:10 PM   #22
SmileySk8s

Armadillo - I can do some asking. I know there are several Team Rainbo skaters that did it the past couple of yrs. According to the Blackhawks site, the course hasn't been finalized yet (??)... it is Sept so I guess there is some time yet.

Last edited by SmileySk8s; July 26th, 2010 at 05:38 AM.
SmileySk8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2010, 08:45 PM   #23
kufman

Hey Armadillo,

If you were wondering, that was me that shouted out "Armadillo" when we were rounding the end of the track today. I saw the skates and I knew it was you How did you do?
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2010, 09:47 PM   #24
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman View Post
Hey Armadillo,

If you were wondering, that was me that shouted out "Armadillo" when we were rounding the end of the track today. I saw the skates and I knew it was you How did you do?
Hi kufman,
I wondered who that was. It was sure a perfect day weather wise!
Well after loosing the best part of a minute early in the race when my water bottle fell out of my fanny pack going fast on a downhill stretch, and then later getting messed up on the course route while skating alone & stopping for directions , I still finished the 1/2 Marathon in 1hr17min -- first Quad finisher.

The wind and the long gradual uphills knocked my normal time up a lot. I don't get that much long hill work from always skating on the lakefront, but I still hung in there and managed to pass a lot of inliners on the uphill stretches. I did group up with a pair of inliners for about 1/4 of the race to share with breaking the wind. That helped a lot.

How about you? How was your time?

-Richard, aka, Armadillo
Old July 25th, 2010, 10:40 PM   #25
kufman

I think I finished in 1 hr 22min don't remember the seconds. The hills were interesting as was the intermittent patches of rough stuff. All in all it was a good race. There were several skaters who got directed in the wrong directions during the race. I think some of the volunteers got the different races confused. Even a couple of the pros got turned around and headed in the wrong direction.

It was good to see the weather finally decided to cooperate for the last day of the weekend. I would like to thank Rainbow for all the work they put into the event and hope it will continue for many years to come.
Old July 25th, 2010, 11:34 PM   #26
online inline

please tell me that Herb won the Men's Vet marathon. Hope Rob Bell did well, too, in the Open category of marathon.
Checked earlier for results, but the marathon finishes weren't up at that time. just checked and that's still the case.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 12:33 AM   #27
kufman

Here are some results

http://www.inlineplanet.com/10/07/ch...-marathon.html
Old July 26th, 2010, 02:10 AM   #28
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

What Matt fails to mention is that he won the men's advanced marathon, and his wife won the women's half mary. Nice work, Kufman and Kufgirl!
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 03:06 AM   #29
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
What Matt fails to mention is that he won the men's advanced marathon, and his wife won the women's half mary. Nice work, Kufman and Kufgirl!
Thanks Bill
Old July 26th, 2010, 05:33 AM   #30
SmileySk8s

Great job, Matt! And Mrs. Matt!
http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=396333
SmileySk8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 05:44 AM   #31
online inline

impressive time. Nice Job, Matt!
Good to hear that Jessica and Candy were right up there in Women's pack.
Old July 26th, 2010, 06:36 PM   #32
SkateMO

This race was a real treat...

When I went to the starting line, I honestly couldn't believe some of the names that were up there...you had the World Inline Marathon record holder (Roger Schneider from Switzerland)...a Canadian gold medalist (Olivier Jean)...a US Olympic silver medalist (Trever Marsicano)...the winner of the 2009 NY100K (Maricio Sierra from Columbia)...and Justin Stelly, who is a hopeful for the 2014 Olympic team and a skater in the Pro NSC (with Joey Mantia)...not to mention many other big names in US marathon skating (Rob Bell, Alex Fedak, and some canadian skaters that competed in the World Championships).

It was a very awesome experience to skate with these guys. Thank you to the race directors (Cale and Peter) for hosting this great event. Despite the rain on Saturday, the marathon made up for it on Sunday.
SkateMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 01:10 AM   #33
online inline

i was hoping to hear some race reports.
Sounds like there was plenty to tell about. What's with the wrong turns? The fall off the start? How 'bout that 'raging cajun'?
Old July 27th, 2010, 01:29 AM   #34
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
me too.
could be that some skaters are still getting home. Maybe they ran out of gas...

<laughing so hard, fell out of chair>
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 01:39 AM   #35
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

It's easy to run out of gas when you haven't fully recovered yet. Pppbbbteeheehee....

Seriously, though, I think most people are still on the way home, or still recovering from the trip.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 04:17 AM   #36
SkateMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
Sounds like there was plenty to tell about. What's with the wrong turns? The fall off the start? How 'bout that 'raging cajun'?
I was actually only two spots behind Olivier when he clicked skates with Roger Schneider and fell. At the time, I didn't know who went down...it happend so fast and all I saw was a guy in a green jersey go down. Also, on the first lap, at least two of the skaters in the lead pack went straight instead of making the last turn at the end of the course. However, everyone waited so they didn't lose much time.

In terms of Justin Stelly, he was really good. Not to take anything away from him, but I was actually surprised he won. I skated with the group throughout the race, and I was super impressed with Olivier Jean. He appeared to be the strongest skater (in the field). In addition, I thought Roger would lay down the hammer at the end (but he didn't or couldn't - not sure which). Obviously, Justin was really strong to have won the field sprint - not to mention the fact that Justin swept the Tour events (meaning he won first in everything).

For the lead group, there were a lot of attacks. It seemed like every 30 seconds or so, someone would take off (especially on the hills). Chicago is a pretty tough course, so the attacks start to get to you after a while.

This race continues to get better...it seems like Chicago has become the "hot spot" for Olympic speed skaters. Last year, Paul Dyrud (US long track skater) competed. And, this year, we had four Olympians (+ Justin Stelly who I think will make the team in 2014). So, I anticipate the competition to be even stronger next year.

Last edited by SkateMO; July 27th, 2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old July 27th, 2010, 04:45 AM   #37
chaos4ever

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio -- where the wheezing just never goes away

Personal report:
It may take the better part of the week for me to recover myself. (Sore ankles (to be explained later), sore lower back, sore quads(though not so much)) I'm glad I flew, or I probably wouldn't have made the trip back home in my car without some serious rest area time. This is the second time this year I have skated 20+ miles. Previous time was in March on a personal skate.

Should have conditioned more over the summer... and broken in the new Jets more (came in 2 weeks ago), but it was still a blast. Time: 2:09:54 in a 4x90 setup in 110 frames.. yeah, go ahead and laugh. Not bad, though I was probably unrealistically hoping for a sub 2hr time, as I was able to hit a sub-1hr time in my 4x90 fitness skates in a halfie (on a much flatter and smoother course last month). Considering how fatigued and slow I was a some points, especially with the "all hills all the time" mantra, I'm amazed how fast I still went. I usually averaged 10-11mph on my 15 mile workouts before using the Jets (12.1mph here). My form took some serious willpower to maintain on the 3rd loop, though. It was a real test of will to finish.

Did I mention about the hills? Whoever mentioned about hills at Chicago wasn't kidding x.x I was pretty much dead on the third lap, but willpower and focus on technique to avoid excessive left foot eversion kept me going (my left skate frame still needs to be brought in (and better heatmolding)... or I need more ankle strength in the foot). Trails were a bit rough, and there was a good amount of roadkill along the course

Personally had a pre-race collision with another skater. We both somehow managed to not eat tar. I was also that guy who ended up neck-and-neck with another skater (who was in rec skates >.<) over the finish line and managed to beat her by a few inches with my extended left foot... "The foot wins the race."

One paramedic call for a downed skater at the bottom of the hill about 1.5-2 miles from the finish line.

And to top off the marathon, I went for an additional 7 mile skate along gorgeous Lake Michigan later that afternoon. The weather was just amazing (minus that crazy wind) the whole day.

Overall tally:
Miles skated Sunday: 26.2 mi (marathon) (+ 7-ish miles with lake skate)
Water downed: 2.7 L during the marathon (+ 1L for the lake skate)
FiberOne bars eaten during the skate: 2 (those things were life-savers for refueling)
Collisions: 1 (pre-race)
Downed skaters: 1
Bont speed skates: a lot; noticed a lot of fitness folks preferred the SemiRace
Roadkill: too numerous to count
Blisters/hot spots: 0 (booties for the win)
Crushed foot arches: 1 (right)

Lessons learned: need to replenish electrolytes better (pack bananas next time?) as my quads were starting to sieze toward the end of the second lap.

Synopsis: Would condition a little better for next time and would do again if I can find a weekend to do it. And in the Jets (next time properly broken in and heatmolded). Unfortunately, I have no more summers of fun in sight for a very long time, so I'll have to play it by ear.

Regarding the pros(?): A couple who were leading the lead pack turned off from the start/finish loop too early when they were rounding for their second lap? (I had just finished my marathon) Not sure what caused it, as there was a guy standing in that section of road and some buckets (holding the time chips) were blocking half of that two-lane section. They lost about 15 seconds on the detour.

After the pro race ended, I got to see the guy who took the at the start. He got some serious road rash at the shoulder, elbow, and knee. And they were pretty mean rashes. Not sure if his jersey survived. However, he was able to finish with the lead pack. Not sure what place he was in.

Missed the 'raging cajun'
[/endreport]
chaos4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 12:23 PM   #38
bubbaskate

So, for my first marathon this was exciting for me. Also this was my first race back in 6 years, so my nerves were up for that fact alone
(3 months ago, I started skating again)

I did the tour on the advanced side, and the advanced field itself was pretty strong - Any one of us could have probably fit right in with the bottom of the pro pack

It Rained, Rained, Rained. Friday, it dumped on us right as we started the 340 meter dash. I had never skated in the rain before so it was an experience. Fortunately, for an amatuer I consider myself to have pretty decent form. That helps more then anything since you know where your body is. Thank goodness Cado/MTC had a booth there

Mini Review - GET SOME STORM SURGES in your arsenal, even if its just 4 like I did on the ends. They are AMAZING

I got stupid in the 10k, led more then I should of, and Kaufman helped educate me on why I dont do that(as he and the pack left me at 800 meters) :P Naa...I just positioned bad from the start, and had nothing left

For the 2 mile time trial, I honestly think had I not fell, I would have had a chance to win that stage (and dont get me wrong, I am not taking anything away from my field) . I hit the turn around hard, and hit a giant puddle at an angle. Use your imagination. However, years of indoor instinct said "GET UP AND RUN LIKE HECK!!!!" , and I did, still got 4th for that stage, call me the Eric Liddell of skating haha

The marathon - which I honestly thought was going to be my biggest struggle, given my conditioning right now, and my outdoor experience - Actually was the highlight of the tour for me - The Advanced men had an excellent pack , which I hung with till just before the end. Those guys just had more kick then I did that day, and I am working on that for duluth. I posted a time of 1:23:05 - I wanted to do under 1:30, so I hit that mark beautifully. Trick was just working through the pack , never letting myself get pushed to the back. Talking with Chad ahead of time, I knew he was the guy to stay with and work with. There was one guy who I guess wasnt a pack skater at all shall we say, but, thats also part of racing, not everything is going to be perfect

Rainbo did a good showing at this meet as far as getting everything together (and most importantly, they ALL skated well. ) However there were some time issues - I am not sure if this was Rainbo or the MTEC folks, but alot of people were aggravated at time sheets being wrong, points being off.

In the end I got 4th for the Tour - I would have liked to place better, but it is what it is. I really enjoyed myself, and am looking forward to duluth. I think in Duluth I can get under 1:20 as its a flatter course. The hills werent too much a struggle for me, but I know obviously they slowed me up
bubbaskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 01:17 PM   #39
kufman

I only skated the marathon so I did have an advantage over the folks who skated the tour. I was coming into the race fresh where they had skated the previous two days in the rain.

The advanced marathon started out pretty slow. I went to the lead from the start and stayed there for a couple miles. I was expecting someone to go out on an early flyer, but it didn't happen. I eventually dropped back to about 5th or 6th and let someone else lead for a while. It seems that there was no instruction given to the rec skaters as to the proper way to move over when being passed. I think we nearly gave some poor girl a heart attack when we went by. Not her fault for not knowing but it could have been a bad situation.

The advanced pack was about 20 skaters for most of the race, maybe more. 4 or 5 guys lead most of the race. I led the hills for two of the laps and then intentionally didn't lead them on the last lap to save some energy for the end.

About half way through the last lap, after the last major hill(on Freeman Road), someone from about mid pack made a dash for the lead and kept on going. I didn't want him to get away so I jumped on and chased him. I figured he wouldn't last that long but I was wrong. He kept a firm pace for about 2 miles and well into the infield portion of the track. He almost eat the back of an ambulance as we descended the long sweeping left hander that brings you back to the horseshoe portion of the track. By the time we got to that portion of the track, there were 5 of us near the lead. A group of 3 and a group of 2 just behind that. As we rounded the corner onto Central Road, I decided that it was time to turn and burn to the finish line which was a little over half a mile away. When we made the turn into the horseshoe (AT&T Center Drive), I could see Chad right with me but I didn't look farther back, I just kept skating. I think I slightly dropped him as we got to the small incline on the horseshoe. At the finish line, there was maybe 30 meters between us. I know he skated the tour so if he had been fresh he probably would have beaten me on the finish.

Overall, it was a pretty good race. In my opinion, there wasn't going to be anyone that could beat Stelly. I saw him at indoor nationals and he was very strong. When I saw it come down to a sprint, I knew it was lights out for anyone that was trying to out sprint him. I believe he was in the lead at the end of the first two laps as well (there were points awarded each lap for pro and tour skaters).

I have to say that this was the first time I have ever had to skate through dead frogs, lol! Apparently, with all the rain there had a been a lot of frogs crossing Central road. Most of them were just little splat marks, but there were a few mostly whole ones as well near the edges of the road. It took me a while at the end of the race to figure out what was splattered on my lower legs.

The one thing the organizers need to work on is directions. I applaud the volunteers for volunteering, but tons of people got misdirected on the track including some of the Elite skaters. My wife studied the track before the race and had to argue with the course workers as to which direction they (the half marathoners) should be going. I think part of the confusion was that the half marathoners and the 10k folks had the same numbers on their hips (same color and label) but their tracks were different. Hopefully this can be resolved in the future.
Old July 27th, 2010, 01:41 PM   #40
SkateMO

The Chicago race directors did their best, so I applaud their efforts entirely. My only recommendation would be to add a larger "staff." From the looks of everything, they appeared to be trying to do way too much with too little people. After all, Chicago is now the second largest marathon in the US. If you want to host a marathon like that, you need the people around to help support it. From my standpoint, it appeared that a few race organizers were working together to pull off this giant event.

I wasn't too disappointed with the course markings, simply because I had skated it before. However, there was one spot that I got completely confused on (the spot where you turn around in the Jersey Pizza parking lot). On the first lap, I didn't know whether to go straight after coming out of the parking lot or to turn right. It looked like we were supposed to go right (because of how the cones were set-up), but later in the race they re-arranged the cones so that you couldn't go right. I thought this section was really confusing though.