S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old July 13th, 2010, 03:35 AM   #1
inlinejinn

Unhappy Front of the ankle rub

New problem that arose with increasing distance. I have Bont Semi-Race skates and have been fine at distances of 26 miles or so. But last week I skated 36, and ended up with some skin rubbed off from the front of both ankles. I believe this stems in part from bending my knees more so that the ankle presses more against the tongue at the top of the boot. I'm using the thin ankle booties under thin-ish running socks. Some of the rub seems to be from the center seam of the ankle bootie.

Any suggestions for helping with this? I tried putting the ankle booties over the socks, but that wasn't at all comfortable.
inlinejinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 11:02 AM   #2
Villy57

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlinejinn View Post
... the ankle presses more against the tongue at the top of the boot. ... Some of the rub seems to be from the center seam of the ankle bootie.
I do suffer from "Lace Bite" , using my Vaypors.

I use some 'neoprene pads with a large slit' (similar to the pictures mentioned in article), and a special lock lacing.
(Sry, no photos available yet, but i plan making a tiny article about my experience 'someday'...

br Villy57

Last edited by Villy57; July 13th, 2010 at 01:00 PM. Reason: missspelling...
Villy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 07:24 PM   #3
pjmariner
Thinkin' of a master plan

Default duck tape under the booties

I put duck tape on all my "hot spot" before I go skating/blading. usually a smaller patch covered by a larger patch. after that I powered feet and put on socks.
pjmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2010, 03:22 PM   #4
inlinejinn

Hi Villy57 - I don't think it's lace bite, from what I read at the links you sent (but thanks 'cause I wasn't sure about lace bite before).

pjmariner - Duct tape sounds handy. Do you have problems with removing the duct tape? I skate 4 times or more a week, and I'd hate to start peeling the skin off with the tape. Perhaps I could get by with using it only for the longer skates.
Old July 14th, 2010, 03:51 PM   #5
pjmariner
Thinkin' of a master plan

Default Use it every time

I use it every time, Duct tape is great because it sticks very well to skin and is very slick on the outside but peels off easy enough without removing skin , hair might be a differnt story, but one you yank that off it won't happen again .

I put it on every time and if I don't I am fine for the first hour or so, but once you socks/boots get wet and you rub the skin raw it is already to late.

I put it on before I skate, make sure feet are really dry, I cut duct tape with sciorrors so it has nice clean edges. I put two patches on the ball of my foot, and make 2 passes (not tight, just enough to prevent wrinkles) around my big toe. when boot were new I did my instep as well. Distance runners have been using duct tape for years so it is definetly a proven concept.
pjmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 03:36 AM   #6
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

I have/had that problem on one skate. I split the laces. The bottom long lace goes from the bottom up to the second from top holes. This is tied tight. Then I put a very short lace just to tie the top holes enough for basic support but not enough to bite the skin.
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 04:46 AM   #7
online inline

if you have a seperate lace just for the top eyelet as Sheldon suggests, you might try what i do, whcih is to lace up to the second eyelet and leave the top one un-used. It takes a little more ankle support, but allows for greater manipulation of your edges.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2010, 04:06 PM   #8
inlinejinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmariner View Post
... I put it on before I skate, make sure feet are really dry, I cut duct tape with sciorrors so it has nice clean edges.
Guess I messed up some part of that. The duct tape ended up coming loose, bunching up, and giving me some very interesting looking new rubs, almost hieroglyphic in appearance. Wonder if I would have to wrap it all the way around my ankle (like a duct tape cuff).

I'll try the loose or un-laced top hole. The Semi-Race skates also have a velcro strap across the top above the top lace holes that I can leave loose. I'll have to see how the ankle support works out.
Old September 9th, 2010, 02:52 PM   #9
inlinejinn

Default Found the solution to ankle rub

Follow up:

Gave up on duct tape. When the temperature is above 60 F, I must sweat subliminally, because the duct tape always lifts off before I even leave the house. Once it's loose, it slides and wrinkles, creating its own rub spots.

Moleskin seems to stick a little better to my ankle, but it also lifted off easily at the end of skating. The difference seems to be that the moleskin is quite thick compared to the duct tape, and doesn't wrinkle. Since it's got that fuzzy texture on top, the friction with the ankle booties seems to hold it in place. Comfortable too - didn't notice it once I started skating. No new rub spots from yesterday's 14 mile skate, and the scabs on the old spots were still intact. Much more expensive than duct tape (cut one sheet in half and round the corners to do both ankles), but well worth it.

Also tried leaving the top lace hole undone, as o/i suggested. Didn't feel a difference in support, but I was able to get onto the left outside edge a little more than before. I fear this unlacing business is a slippery slope toward a pair of Jets or Zs that seem to be so popular on this forum.
Old September 13th, 2010, 02:19 AM   #10
bjvircks
Major Trouble

Not all duct tape ahesives are created equal! I've known some brands to be really poor and not stick to ANYTHING.

What I've done to deal with rubbing is apply a base layer of athletic tape (designed to stick to skin) and add an overlay of qualty duct tape.

Of course, it is important to make certain that the tapes are of appropriate size and positioned well to resist the scrubbing effects in the shoe which work to dislodge the tape and make problems worse.
Old September 13th, 2010, 01:28 PM   #11
Susu
Entice the ones you love

I have had really good luck with stretchy sport wrap - the disposable kind. It has a light wax coating so it sticks to itself and is reusable. You can even wash it - though it loses its stickiness. Its not cheap though
Yes, do wrap it all around your ankle. Wrap it heavier where you want more protection.
Susu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 06:41 AM   #12
MNGreene
No Witty Title

If your Semis are like my Apaches, be sure the problem isn't the tongue getting too vertical rather than anchored slightly off to the outside by the velcro like it should be. I had front ankle rubbing issues and that was the problem. I consiously made sure the tongue was off to the side a bit and the velcro was anchored securely and the problem went away.

Good luck!
MNGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 01:17 PM   #13
inlinejinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNGreene View Post
If your Semis are like my Apaches, be sure the problem isn't the tongue getting too vertical rather than anchored slightly off to the outside by the velcro like it should be. I had front ankle rubbing issues and that was the problem. I consiously made sure the tongue was off to the side a bit and the velcro was anchored securely and the problem went away.

Good luck!
Thanks MNGreene. I believe the tongue is OK--it seems to stay anchored, slightly off to the side as you wrote. It appears the seam on the ankle bootie (or any other edge like wrinkled duct tape) is the culprit. I have been using the moleskin for over 60 miles, and the fronts of my ankles are almost healed up from the earlier rubs. The stretchy sports wrap also sounds interesting, and probably no more expensive than the moleskin.
Old September 16th, 2010, 02:12 PM   #14
ONOU

http://www.tractorsupply.com/equine/...-black-5051412

Horse tape from the farm store.
ONOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 12:42 AM   #15
InlineWarehouse
InlineWarehouse.com

Default Ankle rub solution

I didn't read all the posts, but rub around the ankles is best remedied with EzeeFit boots. They work tremendously.

Link here.
http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/searc...chtext=ezeefit
InlineWarehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2010, 09:54 PM   #16
inlinejinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by InlineWarehouse View Post
I didn't read all the posts, but rub around the ankles is best remedied with EzeeFit boots. They work tremendously.

Link here.
http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/searc...chtext=ezeefit
Ah, you should'a read the posts. It's the seam on the EzeeFits that is rubbing away the skin. We're working on what to put under the EzeeFits.
Old September 19th, 2010, 12:21 PM   #17
Banzai
Unsafe at ANY speed

Ok this may sound funny but have you thought about a nylon knee high stocking? I've known a lot of runners that use them to reduce friction.
Old September 19th, 2010, 05:12 PM   #18
Jan van Deinze

Default Ezeefit

Hi all,

I never had blisters after starting use Ezeefit.
The ideal neoprene sock to prevent any blistering.

http://www.ezeefitsports.com/

Greetz,

Jan van Deinze
Jan van Deinze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2010, 02:29 AM   #19
inlinejinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONOU View Post
Got a roll from my sister the horse person and tried it today. First observation is that is was easy to put a single-layer wrap on each ankle. The stuff is nicely stretchy and really sticks to itself. I also liked the look of the bright purple Vetwrap showing above my Ezeefit booties

I then took my spiffy wrapped ankles out for a 16 mile trail skate. Careful examination after the skate showed that the Vetwrap didn't budge at all. No wrinkles, no rolling, and best of all, no skin rubbed off by the seam on the Ezeefits. Yay! I'll try 32 miles this weekend.

Best of all, it's much cheaper than moleskin - less than $2 a roll at Amazon, and it comes in a half-dozen colors to accessorize with your skates, wheels, or helmet