S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old December 8th, 2011, 11:49 PM   #1
QuetzalPhoenix

Cool Twinkle Toes?! A question for free skaters xD

Howdy y'all - and Happy Holidays!

So, I've been thinking, during spins and when landing/taking off for jumps, how should you position your toes, and is it of great importance?

I noticed the other day at practice that I think I scrunch up the toes of my landing foot when I land jumps.

A random question, but it's been bugging me xD

Any thoughts?

Last edited by QuetzalPhoenix; December 8th, 2011 at 11:49 PM. Reason: grammar
QuetzalPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 11:50 AM   #2
Ancient1

Hi QP,
I would first think that if you have room to scrunch your toes that your boots are too loose. But that's a personal choice.

My toes just press. The pressing is more on the toes that favor the intended edge. This is especially true on one foot turns, edges, spins. On landing a jump, usually my right foot pinky toe is pressing harder than any other toe. The other toes are pressing, just not as hard.

But that's just me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuetzalPhoenix View Post
Howdy y'all - and Happy Holidays!

So, I've been thinking, during spins and when landing/taking off for jumps, how should you position your toes, and is it of great importance?

I noticed the other day at practice that I think I scrunch up the toes of my landing foot when I land jumps.

A random question, but it's been bugging me xD

Any thoughts?
Old December 9th, 2011, 01:26 PM   #3
KMA

I worked for months trying to unclench my toes.

Now I (unless I get really scared) press with my toes for edges, and grip the figure circle.

I used to get the most horrible foot cramps from clenching my toes while skating backwards.

Katy
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 06:11 PM   #4
DanSchallock

I actually get this question but Jim is also right.. hahaha... here is my take:

Your toes should actually have room to move much. However, thinking about moving your toes is a powerful tool.

One coach at my rink taught me when I am having trouble keeping the free leg foot from tapping down on landing, she says "when your in position in the air and your coming down to land, think about lifting your toes up". Obviously its just a visual tool that ends up lifting the whole foot position and angle a bit, but I tell you what.... it works brilliantly for me!

Also, on the salchow and the axel when I am lifting the right knee up and I am thinking about holding/checking the left side of my body so my right side can turn into it... I try to think about turning my right foots toes in.... or to the left... or towards the left side on my body. I try to keep my left leg relaxed for the most part so I don't lock it up, but I have found it helpful if it is having a tendency to open way up to think about doing the opposite with the left foot... pointing the left foots toes to the right a little bit.
That whole technique didn't make much sense to me till I tried it and found myself in the tightest position I have yet achieved in the air (which still isn't fantastic, but better for me) and found my rotation working ALOT better.

So I think of pointing and turning my toes as a powerful mental tool to initiate foot and leg position. Works for me.
-Dan
DanSchallock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2011, 04:30 PM   #5
QuetzalPhoenix

Wow, thanks so much guys, you give great advice

It was interesting when the thought crossed my mind because, thinking about it, toe position must make quite a big difference to your skating.

I think it may be a slight nervous habit with me, as I only notice that I do it on double jumps rather than singles. I'll try and study my toes (lol) next time I'm at skating and see what they for different elements
Old December 12th, 2011, 11:16 PM   #6
Footwork
Ray Ninness Bedford, NH

Cool I have to agree with Jim on this one!!

I have to agree with Jim on this one!! I can just barely move my toes in my skates. The boots are a full size under my current shoe size.. I think they were only a half size under when I bought them in the 1990's.. But as I have aged, my feet seem to have gotten larger.. I have always had to pay special attention that my toe nails are trimmed. Back in 2008 when I started skating again. I forgot that point and really messed up my big toe on one foot, and I only skates for 45 minutes. I missed the next three weeks curing my toe!!

For free style and figures especially boot fit is important, and I'm sure some dance skaters will feel the same way.. A proper fitting boot is a huge advantage and a requirement for serious skating!!

Footwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 12:06 PM   #7
Ancient1

Ray,
Sorry to hear your knees are giving you such problems. Age is a natural law that binds us all. I hope the warmer weather does help out over this summer. Take care of yourself Ray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footwork View Post
I have to agree with Jim on this one!! I can just barely move my toes in my skates. The boots are a full size under my current shoe size.. I think they were only a half size under when I bought them in the 1990's.. But as I have aged, my feet seem to have gotten larger.. I have always had to pay special attention that my toe nails are trimmed. Back in 2008 when I started skating again. I forgot that point and really messed up my big toe on one foot, and I only skates for 45 minutes. I missed the next three weeks curing my toe!!

For free style and figures especially boot fit is important, and I'm sure some dance skaters will feel the same way.. A proper fitting boot is a huge advantage and a requirement for serious skating!!

Old December 20th, 2011, 12:16 AM   #8
Footwork
Ray Ninness Bedford, NH

Red face I have to get back to working out!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient1 View Post
Ray,
Sorry to hear your knees are giving you such problems. Age is a natural law that binds us all. I hope the warmer weather does help out over this summer. Take care of yourself Ray.

I have to get back to working out!! I have slacked off quite a bit.. I need to get back to doing 30 minutes on the Techno GYM, of late all I have been doing is swimming, and that isn't enough workout. Nor the right kind of workout for skating!!

Old and Lazy me thinks??

Footwork is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
free, jumps, position, posture, spins