S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum > Outdoor Quads
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Quads Discussions about outdoor quad skates and any discussion relatd to skating on quad roller skatse outdoors.

Old April 9th, 2012, 04:16 AM   #1
Armadillo

Default 70mm Mini Zombie Hawgs are now available

New Landyachtz Mini Zombie Hawgs 70mm Freeride are now available.
The hub is different from the 76mm Z-Hawgs, and the contact patch is 38mm. They are clearly narrower then the 76mm and are much less radiused on the corners. The urethane seems to be the same as the full size 76mm Z-Hawgs too.
This is a nice alternative for those who find the 76mm version to be a bit too heavy, or too big to fit their plates.

http://www.nordboards.com/minizombiehawg.html

-Armadillo

Last edited by Armadillo; April 11th, 2012 at 02:17 AM.
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 02:24 AM   #2
pvasques
PVasques

Default PLS NOTE

Just got a pair, not yet tested..... Pls note that these wheels are side set but have an internal lip, had to cut mine..... Cheers!
pvasques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 03:05 AM   #3
Christopher-T
Quad Skater

with these wheels having a negative offset what about running long magnum axles with a couple of washers on each side between the speed nut and trucks housing? would that be enough to use them w/o cutting them down???

if that doesnt help, how much clearance would a man need on the inside to clear the trucks? could someone measure the offset for me? sorry for all the questions but having these available in 70mm makes me want to buy a set but i need some info on 'em..
Christopher-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 04:03 AM   #4
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvasques View Post
Just got a pair, not yet tested..... Pls note that these wheels are side set but have an internal lip, had to cut mine..... Cheers!
Thanks for the update. Hard to tell from the PICs. Let us know how they roll. The 76mm 84A are terrific and I assume these will be similar.

How much were the inside bearing faces recessed back from the urethane face? How much urethane did you need to remove?

If inner bearing is not recessed back too much, as Christopher suggests, a longer style axle and some speed washers (or speed nuts - grind away their internal threads with a Dremel tool) placed between truck and inner bearing will resolve the problem.

-Armadillo

Last edited by Armadillo; April 17th, 2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old April 17th, 2012, 11:14 AM   #5
jbgerman

What is the weight of one wheel?
jbgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2012, 12:18 PM   #6
swolltitan
Getting Back Into It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher-T View Post
with these wheels having a negative offset what about running long magnum axles with a couple of washers on each side between the speed nut and trucks housing? would that be enough to use them w/o cutting them down???
Seems like that would be similar to their intended use with skate boards, so it could work, but may effect performance.
Old April 17th, 2012, 04:44 PM   #7
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by swolltitan View Post
Seems like that would be similar to their intended use with skate boards, so it could work, but may effect performance.
Performance should not be affected too much by a narrow spacer of say 1mm or so, since the wheels are already reasonably narrow at 38mm.

-Armadillo
Old June 6th, 2012, 05:40 AM   #8
Armadillo

OK, got my hands on the Mini Zombie Hawgs today, and yes they do need some material removed on the inside.

There is a 2+mm hub material lip that sticks out past the face of the bearing, and an additional wheel urethane lip that sticks out another 2+mm beyond the hub lip. So a total of 4.5 mm of hub+wheel material protruding beyond the bearing face plane on the inside of the wheel.

Wheels are a too-wide 45mm anyway, so cutting 4-5mm off the inside makes perfect sense. The outside also has a 3mm urethane lip protruding there, so by also removing it, we get down to a very respectable outdoor wheel width of 37mm.

So bottom line is to not just think you can purchase these and slap them right on your skates. They will need some machining for sure.

-Armadillo
Old June 16th, 2012, 01:16 AM   #9
passman

My wife attempted the mini yellow's and could not stop complaining that they are too fast! I have the larger zombies and assume she feels what I'm feeling which is perfect, but I adapted from the rental rink skates a little faster than she did.
Old June 18th, 2012, 03:04 PM   #10
Armadillo

Wow, I am surprised that the Mini Hawgs could fit on her Rannalli plates.
Did you have to get some urethane cut away on the back sides to make them fit?

I am machining a set of the 84A Mini Hawgs today and will be taking off material from both sides, sacrificing the logos, to narrow them down to the 36-37mm range.

Will post some PICs of the process and when they are done.

-Armadillo
Old June 20th, 2012, 01:05 AM   #11
passman

Not needed for the trial run and no weight issue.
I will machine them down to try to dupe what you did (as close as I can) sometime this week probably.

Crummy pic but best I can do on the fly

Old June 21st, 2012, 10:32 AM   #12
Armadillo

Default Thinning the MZH wheels to 37mm

These PICs document the wheel thinning process.
Removed 3mm from inside and 5mm from outside, giving a new width of just over 37mm.
Wheels started out at 158 grams and removed material lowered them to ~135 grams so 23 grams saved
Adding the bearings puts them right back up to the 158 gram level, so the total of wheels & bearings is 632 grams, which is only about one ounce less than 1-1/2 LBS
Just a little bit of the hub edges came off with the urethane ring slices.

Note that despite the 70mm wheel diameter, the deck height of the Laser plate still has plenty of wheel clearance breathing room.

-Armadillo

Last edited by Armadillo; June 22nd, 2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 01:34 AM   #13
passman

Wow - real nice
Old July 2nd, 2012, 04:01 PM   #14
Armadillo

I was able to skate these Mini Hawgs for a few miles on mainly very smooth asphalt, and I must say they do roll extremely well, just as well as my RD Twister 70mm wheels as best I can tell. At 37mm wide they were still a couple mm wider than the Twisters.
When I finally get a set of these for myself, or the larger 76mm Hawgs, I will probably narrow them down a bit mote, into the 32-33mm range, just to minimize the impact of their greater weight.

With them being so much heavier, after 4 miles they began to wear me down and my overall speed dropped off measurably. I do think they will make excellent training wheels for me though, as I tend to rely too much on fast foot cadence instead of getting more power into each stroke. So, by limiting my leg speed some, I will be forced to concentrate more on the power aspect.

Their urethane formula seems like a perfect balance between rebound/roll, firmness (@84A), toughness (no cuts or nicks), and durability.

Right now, for production wheels, I really don't see anything else out there I like better.

-Armadillo

-Armadillo