S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old April 9th, 2012, 02:38 PM   #1
scrapdaddy

Default super bushings and pivots wrong

i recently got a couple sets of da45 conversions, one with purple bushings, and they are not the supers, they dont say suregrip, dont have rounded corners on both ends, and the duro is way off, they are hard as rocks(94a)
is there any known supply problems going on? could i return these? they dont fit up right.......and upobn further investigation, the pivots on these trucks are long like the royal ones i got from you, i have a pile of parts, so i found short pivots and the right bushings, and i see now not all bushings are labeled. but these purples are also taller than regular purples that do have the suregrip stamp, do have some serious lack of qc going on?
Old April 9th, 2012, 03:25 PM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapdaddy View Post
i recently got a couple sets of da45 conversions, one with purple bushings, and they are not the supers, they dont say suregrip, dont have rounded corners on both ends, and the duro is way off, they are hard as rocks(94a)
is there any known supply problems going on? could i return these? they dont fit up right.......and upobn further investigation, the pivots on these trucks are long like the royal ones i got from you, i have a pile of parts, so i found short pivots and the right bushings, and i see now not all bushings are labeled. but these purples are also taller than regular purples that do have the suregrip stamp, do have some serious lack of qc going on?

Where did those come from?? Factory or distributor?? It sounds like you got the "kiddie" urethane cushions..all of which are the same rocks no matter what color.. Those cushions are strictly for looks, cost less and are wrong for DA45s..

As far as the mixed up pivots?? Could easily happen at the factory and it has before.. BTW I prefer the Imperial pivots on DA45s and order mine that way.. The real problem is when the Super D pivot gets put into the Imperial...
Old April 9th, 2012, 03:28 PM   #3
scrapdaddy

dvw....rcsports, all makes since.....are all the supers labeled? becouse i have others with no label but seem right, other colors?
not saying its dvw or rcsports fault, who ever assembled them got it wrong, does rc do this?

Last edited by scrapdaddy; April 9th, 2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old April 9th, 2012, 03:58 PM   #4
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapdaddy View Post
dvw....rcsports, all makes since.....are all the supers labeled? becouse i have others with no label but seem right, other colors?
The supers are translucent... You can see right through 'em when they are new.. They do get darker with age..

http://www.suregrip.com/products/accessories will tell ya all about 'em..
Old April 9th, 2012, 08:02 PM   #5
scrapdaddy

these are translucent, purple, but not exactly the same, like a cheap knock off, and HARD, well harder then they should be, just seems wierd when combined with the wrong pivots.....
Old April 9th, 2012, 08:51 PM   #6
SwisherTONE
I 'do' Swisher Sweet #143

Location: North Los Angeles Quad Speed Skater www.SwisherSkate.com SWISHER Skating Products (coming soon)

Hey Scrap. Not all the SG Super Bushings are marked. In fact I've never seen one marked or 'labeled' or 'logo'd'. I've mounted the purple 85A's on my build and I love them. Maybe it was a bad batch?? Hope you get the situation fixed

I <3 Speed Skating & Derby ~ Swisher Sweet#143 (best Jammer EVER)
SwisherTONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2012, 09:17 PM   #7
skate mech

Scrap, we got some of those the last time we ordered those purples. No SG and Taller.
skate mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2012, 09:30 PM   #8
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwisherTONE View Post
Hey Scrap. Not all the SG Super Bushings are marked.
In fact I've never seen one marked or 'labeled' or 'logo'd'. I've mounted the purple 85A's on my build and I love them.

Let's clarify marked. NONE of the Supers have the durometer rating on them. The early supers had no marks at all and no machine work. The later ones have Sure Grip molded in one end and are machined on the other.

Maybe it was a bad batch?? Hope you get the situation fixed
scrapdaddy, how about a pic please??
Old April 9th, 2012, 11:35 PM   #9
scrapdaddy

will grab pics on the way to practice, and post them after practice
Old April 10th, 2012, 02:07 AM   #10
Kennedy
Go fast, turn left

Just guessing.... It is possible this is an old DA45 kit. The original cushions were a bit taller and had no logos. As well, the hardnesses were a bit wonky at first. I did get a few sets of DA45 trucks with imperial pivots once or twice from sg. Anxiously awaiting pics.
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2012, 04:09 AM   #11
SwisherTONE
I 'do' Swisher Sweet #143

Location: North Los Angeles Quad Speed Skater www.SwisherSkate.com SWISHER Skating Products (coming soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
Let's clarify marked. NONE of the Supers have the durometer rating on them. The early supers had no marks at all and no machine work. The later ones have Sure Grip molded in one end and are machined on the other.
Doc, I've never seen Durometer ratings marked on the bushings at all either (obviously because they don't do that), but I was referring to the SG logo slapped blatantly across the side of the cushion. I'm still puzzled as to how he may have gotten 'non' SG Bushings in his order and received aftermarket or 'knock offs'? I've never had that happen. sucks

I <3 Speed Skating & Derby ~ Swisher Sweet#143 (best Jammer EVER)
SwisherTONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2012, 04:28 AM   #12
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwisherTONE View Post
Doc, I've never seen Durometer ratings marked on the bushings at all either (obviously because they don't do that), but I was referring to the SG logo slapped blatantly across the side of the cushion. I'm still puzzled as to how he may have gotten 'non' SG Bushings in his order and received aftermarket or 'knock offs'? I've never had that happen. sucks
That was the old SG urethane cushions back in the day... None of the new ones have printing.. The new Supers have Sure Grip molded in the end. I'm waiting for scrapdaddy to post his pix.
Old April 10th, 2012, 11:28 AM   #13
scrapdaddy

ok here are the purple's and i know they are from rcsports, i do not know when i got them, they are not on the trucks with the royal pivots, and to the pivots, these are exactly the same as the royal pivots i got from you, i do not know if that means they are the same as imperials, but with the royal pivots, the trucks sit to hi on the cushions, deff not right, works of you take out the set nut, but thats no good, pictures of purples, better to come if needed

those cups are stuck on them too
Old April 10th, 2012, 01:17 PM   #14
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Gen 1 Supers.

Those are the original Super Cushions. I have never had any trouble using those or the Imperial pivot. The Imperial pivot is the same as the Royal part since the Royal is a cut down Imperial..

Yeah I have had them stick in the cups before.... The first run of Supers was not as well made as the later ones.. As stated previously, they are taller than the current ones and not as regular in height..

Are you planning on using them on your Magnums?? If so, I'd like some installed pix please..

Old April 10th, 2012, 03:31 PM   #15
bolivia

Default Gen1/Gen2

Doc - if ordering supers, is there any way to guarantee I'll receive the Gen 2 run? I have some Gen 1's (got them from you early on), and even though I can use them, I would be more comfortable with Gen 2 product.

Seems to me that any skate vendor who orders from distributors such as RC Sports could get whatever their parts pickers pick. Should one specify Gen 2 or latest version only, and does the distributor even care or understand that?

Thanks, Bill
bolivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2012, 05:10 PM   #16
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolivia View Post
Doc - if ordering supers, is there any way to guarantee I'll receive the Gen 2 run? I have some Gen 1's (got them from you early on), and even though I can use them, I would be more comfortable with Gen 2 product.

Seems to me that any skate vendor who orders from distributors such as RC Sports could get whatever their parts pickers pick. Should one specify Gen 2 or latest version only, and does the distributor even care or understand that?

Thanks, Bill

Have your reseller get them direct from Sure Grip.. I do.. That will just about guarantee all the colors are the new style. I say just about because I have not ordered red in forever..
SeSS in Virgina has been sending me Gen 2 as well but I only ever order yellows and blues..
Old April 10th, 2012, 05:18 PM   #17
bolivia

Great - thanks for the tip Doc......
bolivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 02:46 PM   #18
wired

So what about these?

And yes, these photos are within 2-3 Shore A values as when tested individually.
wired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 03:53 PM   #19
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired View Post
So what about these?

And yes, these photos are within 2-3 Shore A values as when tested individually.
Hmm.... looks like the PU manufacturer is having trouble holding the spec?? I know the low reading yellow ones are a mistake... How many ya got??

Also, I have gone from hand held to using a test stand with a 1kg weight to insure I get repeatable readings..

I have never really inquired about what the +/- spec is... I shall do so..
Old April 11th, 2012, 04:14 PM   #20
scrapdaddy

out comes the piule of supers and my duro, now im curious if some of tuning mistakes were related to incorrect bushing duro........