S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old April 12th, 2012, 05:35 PM   #1
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Rink Rules in Hispanic

Hi ALL,

Another Quick One

Rink Rules are a problem from what I have seen, yet them and the signs and some appropriate flexible enforcement can work well. Usually I have seen the speakers not positioned so bystanders can hear the announcement is one rink complaint. Anyway onto my Tread Start.

I think RSA should come up with an Hispanic Rink Rules. Got a lot of cute gals that could do the vocals, and some guys. Many men I have met do not speak of the English, and the women/moms are a bit, to a lot too bossy. They still might not listen due to culture yet it would be a good start to add to Rink Rules in Hispanic so the GUYS(Dads/Husbands I guess) can maybe understand the rules. Like going in the Same Normal Skate Direction.

I have some incidents, yet that is not important. What is important is communicating to a rink's customers behavior norms.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
P.S. Again add to the topic mostly and have only a little bit of fun so we stay mostly On-Topic. And again I got taxes, lawn, other to do so I might not be back for awhile.
Old April 12th, 2012, 09:45 PM   #2
HK47
Roll Player

By "Hispanic" I hope you mean in Spanish
Old April 12th, 2012, 11:29 PM   #3
Master.Discord

Probably trying to be politically correct, and ended up politically incorrect. XD

Hispanic technically means 'of Spanish descent' so it doesn't even really apply to most people of Central American descent.
Master.Discord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 12:03 AM   #4
rhetttro
Owner, Pop's Skateland

Hispanic is not a language and.....

Hell No!
Old April 13th, 2012, 03:36 AM   #5
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Just like your aren't supposed to call an Asian Oriental. They'll get pissed and tell you Oriental is what you'd call a rug, not a person.
Old April 14th, 2012, 03:01 AM   #6
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Probably a Spanish based Dialect

Hi HK47

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK47 View Post
By "Hispanic" I hope you mean in Spanish
Well were I skate DomincanR and PuertoR people are in the greatest of numbers. Their language and habits are not quite like Madrid cultured Spanish.

So every place probably has to do something a bit different using the Spanish Conquistadors language as the base. Take you guys in the UK and your influx. You have got to communicate the best you can to communicate to different dialects from the Middle East and Upper Africa.

Old April 14th, 2012, 11:27 AM   #7
rwsz

time for everybody to learn english in this country,,,geez
Old April 14th, 2012, 07:19 PM   #8
HK47
Roll Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
Hi HK47

Well were I skate DomincanR and PuertoR people are in the greatest of numbers. Their language and habits are not quite like Madrid cultured Spanish.

So every place probably has to do something a bit different using the Spanish Conquistadors language as the base. Take you guys in the UK and your influx. You have got to communicate the best you can to communicate to different dialects from the Middle East and Upper Africa.

"Hispanic" is not a language. You speak English - a derivation from "The Queens English", but that doesn't matter - the words and grammar are adequately similar that it has the same name. How would you feel if I said the language you're speaking is "Of British Descent" rather than English? It doesn't make any sense, does it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
time for everybody to learn english in this country,,,geez
I really hope you have taken the time to learn at least one Native American dialect, then.
Old April 15th, 2012, 06:12 AM   #9
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default SO USA has No Hispanic Rink_Rules

Geez with FL, TX, AZ, CA, having that Central American influx and piles up here in MAss and places in the MidWest.

I thought someone would have created a Rink Rules in Hispanic that worked for their area's non_english language speakers. I don't except Mandarin or one of the Pakistan ones yet with 17million plus illegals. .

Rick, Too many come here that don't speak english and will soon go back being rich for a bit and then return for another cycle. Some of them are illiterate in their own official, or local spoken language. The gals seem to speak somewhat yet many of their guys are totally lost

On a FAR_Far aside since this is about the USA.
HK47 Do you even have Rink Rules announcements in the UK? Do you have entry huge signs like 3 or 4.

Old April 15th, 2012, 11:01 AM   #10
Elysarian
Ex-Pat Wiganer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
Geez with FL, TX, AZ, CA, having that Central American influx and piles up here in MAss and places in the MidWest.

I thought someone would have created a Rink Rules in Hispanic that worked for their area's non_english language speakers. I don't except Mandarin or one of the Pakistan ones yet with 17million plus illegals. .

Rick, Too many come here that don't speak english and will soon go back being rich for a bit and then return for another cycle. Some of them are illiterate in their own official, or local spoken language. The gals seem to speak somewhat yet many of their guys are totally lost

On a FAR_Far aside since this is about the USA.
HK47 Do you even have Rink Rules announcements in the UK? Do you have entry huge signs like 3 or 4.

The rink I go to has the rules posted up by the door, by the paybooth, by the snack kiosk, by the lockers and by the bar as well as in other places around the rink.

Announcements are made at the beginning of the night and if things get a little out of hand but most policing of the rules is carried out by the floor guards.

Multilingual (printed) rules would cause issues in my view as, to keep within the footprint of the current posters, the font size would have to be reduced making them harder to read.

We have (sort of) similar issues in many parts of England - I've had letters from the local council that are 3 or more times bigger than they need to be because everyone gets copies in English, Urdu (I think) and Arabic (in wales they also get everything in Welsh too).

My opinion is this: If you want to move to a country to live you should make an effort to learn the lingo - I wouldn't dream of moving to (for example) France or Germany without at least being able to hold simple conversations in their respective native tongues.

Now with added Daughter!
Elysarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2012, 11:21 AM   #11
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK47 View Post
"Hispanic" is not a language. You speak English - a derivation from "The Queens English", but that doesn't matter - the words and grammar are adequately similar that it has the same name. How would you feel if I said the language you're speaking is "Of British Descent" rather than English? It doesn't make any sense, does it?

I really hope you have taken the time to learn at least one Native American dialect, then.
yes i did,,,,,,American English,,,,the language of the land for a long time for those born here,,,,we are all native Americans
Old April 15th, 2012, 11:51 AM   #12
HK47
Roll Player

Both the rinks near here have rules posted, both only in English, only one actually enforces them. Judging by the ethnicity of kids at my nearest rink, it's the white kids who more commonly have a problem reading, understanding and following rules. If there was another language commonly used then it would make sense to post rules in that language too (ie. if one were in Switzerland then rules could be posted in Swiss, German and French, for instance).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
yes i did,,,,,,American English,,,,the language of the land for a long time for those born here,,,,we are all native Americans
Then why is your English grammar substandard?
Old April 15th, 2012, 02:22 PM   #13
Ricky

rules in 1945:-)
Ricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 03:51 AM   #14
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Pictorials Yet Still 'Rink Rules'

Hi All,

You too Ricky f/Warwick. Geez I thought of you when I went to Providence on 146 on 31March.

Well I want to keep this alive JUST in case I find a Rink on our Southern Border that has done Rink Rules in one of the Hispanic dialects. It is always possible, even though no one has added a multilingual rink rules announcement.

We in the USA use the term Hispanic as a huge umbrella term which covers some languages that are not in the least connected to spanish/native to the Americas cultures. The history of the term is quite interesting. Initially when it was used I thought it odd. I remember studying it with the Haiti Disaster. Hispanola http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hispaniola

Anyway all those huge signs at the door, and all those words DO NOT do diddly EXCEPT to protect the owner just a smidgen. They do nothing to change skater behaviours. And particularly Hispanic parents mentoring their kids on what is acceptable in this new to them USA culture.

SO Pictorials like Ricky has shown us in a 1948 poster might be a great communication tool compared to lots of words that are not read my most of the people that enter a rink.

Those Rink Rules announcements is what I am really stuck on as one of the saving adaptation graces. I know some of these male adults connected to these females are illegals working for little pay and NO opportunity to learn English unless in prison. SO I would like to give these Hispanic males the opportunity to help their kids adapt.
Old April 16th, 2012, 11:23 AM   #15
rwsz

LMAO,,,,must be the Boston schools,,,,just try to keep things short online
Old April 18th, 2012, 04:38 AM   #16
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master.Discord View Post
Probably trying to be politically correct, and ended up politically incorrect. XD

Hispanic technically means 'of Spanish descent' so it doesn't even really apply to most people of Central American descent.
By Central America do you mean Nebraska?
Old April 18th, 2012, 04:39 AM   #17
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky View Post

What the hell do sideburns have to do with a roller skate?
Old April 19th, 2012, 10:28 AM   #18
SwisherTONE
I 'do' Swisher Sweet #143

Location: North Los Angeles Quad Speed Skater www.SwisherSkate.com SWISHER Skating Products (coming soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master.Discord View Post

"Hispanic" has two or three broader target meanings, but just FYI, on the contrary, Central American countries do derive (in sur name and language and lineage) in large majority, from Spanish decent with a variant mixture of West African and indigenous lineages

I <3 Speed Skating & Derby ~ Swisher Sweet#143 (best Jammer EVER)

Last edited by SwisherTONE; April 23rd, 2012 at 11:07 AM.
SwisherTONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 10:30 AM   #19
SwisherTONE
I 'do' Swisher Sweet #143

Location: North Los Angeles Quad Speed Skater www.SwisherSkate.com SWISHER Skating Products (coming soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky View Post

Wowww. Lol

I <3 Speed Skating & Derby ~ Swisher Sweet#143 (best Jammer EVER)
SwisherTONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 03:29 AM   #20
rcbarry
I Gotta Be Me At Holiday!

why not just announce - todo el patín en la dirección normal que patina, responda al reloj sabio

Don't laugh, I try hard!
rcbarry is offline   Reply With Quote