S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old April 8th, 2012, 10:00 PM   #21
Legacysage

Yeah, I've actually been spinning them quite a bit. I'll give them a spin in my cleaning solution, hit them with a brush, run them in the solution again, spin them till they dry (mine also reverberate after a certain speed when dry? Is that normal?) , and then hit them with the brush again after they are completely dry... under a blow dryer of course, haha.

Also, can cracked hubs affect a bearings ability to spin? I've just cleaned and reinstalled my bearings in a pair of old wheels, but noticed that the hubs had small cracks running across them. The bearings were a little bit more difficult to slide in... As well, now that I have them installed on my skates, they don't want to spin at all. I haven't tightened the axles anymore than I normally would, either...Then again, I have just cleaned them...

Last edited by Legacysage; April 9th, 2012 at 01:21 AM.
Legacysage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2012, 04:01 AM   #22
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Love Bearing Questions

Hi Legacy,

First post and then I will read the back and forth. I like doing this..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacysage View Post
I know o -o I apologize for that... o-o
Thanks yet unless you ticked off someone, like I do from time to time, OR you don't get back to notes you started, like I do...

Quote:
o -o The problem that I now face, however, is the extremely frequent contamination of the bearings. After removing the shields after only one short ride, it's not rare that I find fair sized little pebbles and dirt inside of the bearing races. o-o
Replace the Bearings.

If you are getting pebbles in the bearings with One Shield facing outward and the other shield facing inward. Too many good bearings are out there.

OK Back to Reading,
Old April 9th, 2012, 04:17 AM   #23
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Buy some Bones Swiss, or Qube Gold OR

Hi Again,

OK I am going to BLAST. Which in Engineering Speak means to go past the problem details to a Better Way. I see some already gave you the One Shield Method good even for cheaper bearings.

Buy some Bones Swiss Bearings, or Qube-Gold, or other Higher End Bearings with tighter clearances and the problem you describe disappears.

Never in my life did I get stones in my bearings yet I did get tons of hairs in certain bearings of lower class quality. I also damaged some outdoor skate bearings pretty bad that had 2 shields on them SO were difficult to clean. In those days I just stuck them in a citrus cleaner, which didn't clean for diddly.

Anyway get some new bearings and if you still want cheap ones remove one of the shields. My 8mm Bones Swiss only comes with one shield.

BTW I do need to buy some Bones Ceramics, yet am Lazy. My Priorities seem to be Skate, SkateLog, then lastly R&D, then Buy

SO Don't be like me Lazy. Shoot I got the same problem with selecting a plate for my new 595 boots.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old April 9th, 2012, 07:35 PM   #24
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Re: MA/NY Skating Dave's suggestion, the stock bearings in cheaper K2 skates are probably your problem. They aren't made as well. ILQ7s or ILQ9s would be much better, and more cost efficient options if you can get them easily. BSB also makes good bearings, or if you are really hard up on the money front, $16 for a set of Glen Kashi's buck bearings. I have them for rain skates, and they are similar to ILQs. Also, very cost effective. Otherwise, just keep skating and cleaning.

Oh, if you have cracked hubs, replace those wheels ASAP, lest the failure increase and result in serious injury. I had a set of Atom One IQ wheels that had hairline cracks in them, likely a production problem, and immediately stopped skating on them though the cracks didn't seem to effect their use. The point was to avoid serious injury for a significant wheel failure. BNumerick can tell you all about hub failure, he had it happen on a set of MPC Storm Surge race wheels last year and it wasn't pretty.
theDonnybrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2012, 10:23 PM   #25
Legacysage

$16?! Damn... I need to stop shopping in sports stores. Those ILQ bearings do look like a good way to go, given the consideration they were manufactured with inline skating in mind... or so I'd read. You guys wouldn't happen to know of any trusted sites that ship to Canada, would you? I'm pretty skeptical about buying stuff online, as I've been ripped off in the past.
Legacysage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2012, 02:18 AM   #26
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Inline Warehouse is a great option, and Stan posts on here on occasion. I have had good results with Adam's Inline also. I think Il Peloton may also be an option, and they are in Canada. I don't know if Il Peloton carries ILQs, though.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 06:20 AM   #27
cass38a

Ensure that any bearings you buy for outdoor use are not shielded bearings but sealed ones. They will have RS or 2RS in the description (608 2RS) and run them with grease instead of oil and your life will improve.

RS means only sealed on one side and no prize for guessing 2RS is sealed on both sides.

The combo of the seal and grease stops them getting dirty for ages and then water becomes your only enemy. They will still roll exactly the same after a couple of minutes skating.

The bont cleaner is the ants pants and is worth the $$$$$$ if you want your bearings clean quickly.
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 01:44 AM   #28
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Speaking of ILQs, I have the Classics from 2006 that came with my K2 Radicals. I went out this afternoon for a skate and hit a section of trail with blowing drifts of sand. At least one of my bearings is now gritty, and I just cleaned them. These are my training bearings, and I don't feel bad about letting them go a while between cleanings. Just a heads up that these things aren't impregnable.
Old April 24th, 2012, 03:36 AM   #29
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Lots of Good Sites

Hi Again,

Quote:
$16?! Damn... I need to stop shopping in sports stores. Those ILQ bearings do look like a good way to go, given the consideration they were manufactured with inline skating in mind... or so I'd read. You guys wouldn't happen to know of any trusted sites that ship to Canada, would you? I'm pretty skeptical about buying stuff online, as I've been ripped off in the past.
OK your choices for good OnLine Sellers are beyond belief. If I could buy from all the good ones I know about, I would be a champion buyer.

OK I like LowPriced http://www.lowpriceskates.com/
They sent me Bones Reds when I ordered Bones Swiss one Christmas and they dealt with it nicely. Took a bit too long in shipment back and such after we talked was the only problem. So that is one place I know is good and I will buy from again.

Connies is also listed by many as good. http://connieskates.com/

NetSkate is also listed by many I skate with personally as good.
http://netskate.com/ . Don't hear a lot about it on SLF yet I do in live skating.

And with all the Derby places I know about you have tons of choices for good performing shippers/returners.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old May 3rd, 2012, 03:42 PM   #30
Code Monkey

Hey Legacysage,

As you can tell there are many solutions. Sort of depends on money.

For the least expensive solution try Hoppes gun oil M-Pro 7. You can get it at any sporting goods store that sells gun equipment. Or amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/M-Pro-Gun-Oil-...ef=pd_sim_sg_1

Clean your bearings well and then apply the Hoppes with a drop of 3-in-1 oil.

You will notice a big difference right away. In fact I'll be surprised if the gritty sound doesn't go away. If you do this, let me know how it works for you.

The next is go to VXB.com and get a set of the inexpensive stainless steel bearings.

http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PRO...arings/Kit7926

A must in your case! Since you use your skates for transportation you need something that you don't have to pamper all the time. Stainless steel is the option and with the Hoppes and 3-in-1 oil mix, you will be so happy. The stainless will enable you to skate threw water puddles or rain and not have to clean your bearings right when you get home. And with the Hoppes mixture I mentioned you most likely won't have to bother cleaning them after getting stuck in rain.

I skate in all kinds of weather and I like skating in the rain. I have a pair of skates just for that and they have stainless steel bearings in them and have for years, same set by the way, and I just clean them when I feel like it, not because I have to.

The Hoppes and 3-in-1 or any oil will last a very long time, years, because you only use two maybe three drops per bearing. So it is very inexpensive. Also do this first on your current bearings and see if it saves them. Then save up some change and get the stainless steels, you will be very glad you did.

Take care and skate on!
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote