S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old April 25th, 2012, 11:14 AM   #1
crashpants
tingle

Default So glad I was wearing my gear.

I usually inline skate outdoors at the veloway, and have recently added a complete set of protective gear (including crashpants ) since I'm trying new stuff that puts me at risk of a fall. I've already crash-tested the crash gear three times, so it's working. Last night was adult night at the indoor rink. I usually delete the helmet there but lately felt too vulnerable without it since it's part of the gear set. Hardly anybody at the rink wears a helmet except the derby women, last night I was the only one.

I'm switching between 90mm wheels for outdoors and 76mm for indoors so I can work on my footwork indoors. The shorter frame for the 76mm means I have no leverage at the foot from the back, and I obviously haven't let that sink in because last night I fell backward, hard. The whack the back of my helmet made on the concrete floor was LOUD. The impact was so sudden that it warped my glasses against my face.

Anyway, I have a stiff neck this morning but no other symptoms.

I'll be wearing all my gear including the helmet at all times from now on.
crashpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2012, 12:32 PM   #2
K2Sk8er
Professional Bike Chaser

dang dude, be careful! glad you're ok!
K2Sk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2012, 12:36 PM   #3
BlackLace
Beautiful Snowflake

That's awesome that you dodged the bullet! I wear the full kit too - always. It's saved my knees, wrists, posterior and head more times than I care to count. I'm also usually the only helmet wearer too.
BlackLace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2012, 03:03 PM   #4
skaterdog

Good move, wearing the helmet at session. For some reason even the most ardent helmet wearers think helmets are only for outdoor skating. They will lecture about helmet use but go without during session. Go figure.
Old April 25th, 2012, 05:37 PM   #5
MachV

It will be safer to quit switching frames & wheels. Stay on the 90s all the time.

There's equipment for everybody, but not all equipment is for every BODY.
MachV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2012, 07:45 PM   #6
crashpants
tingle

MachV - I hear what you are saying, buuuut....

I'm about to get a set of speed skates at 100mm, so I won't be switching frames on my Seba Trix, which I bought to also try slalom skating. The Sebas were such an improvement over the Rollerblades I was using outdoors that they gave me the confidence to move up to a speed skate. I'd bought both frame sizes for the Sebas with the intention of using the 90mm for fitness and the 76mm to start practicing for slalom. So with the new speed skates I'll still be switching back and forth between the two frame sizes, with an even larger difference. It's an inherent difference between the two styles of skating that I'll just have to work with.
Old April 27th, 2012, 12:48 AM   #7
phatnsassy
Living on my EDGE

I always wear my helmet and wrists guards at session. Funny, kids ask me why. I say I'm too old to get hurt but really its because I'm a chicken. Errr, ummm, actually it's because I'm smart.
phatnsassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2012, 07:01 PM   #8
oel

I do outdoor recreational skating with my K2/84mm wheels and indoor slalom skating with Seba High/76+80mm rocker set up. It did feel a little unsettling switching skates initially. You get used to it and know the performance characteristics of each quickly (what tricks to do and not to do in each). This is not an issue. Just be careful during the initial period.

I always wear a full set of protection (minus helmet) ever since I started skating 2 decades ago. I do always wear a pair of crash pants slaloming. It has protected my ass/hip bones for more time than I could count! It is a good reminder that I should also wear a helmet when I start practicing slides & spins during slalom...

I also wear a pair of thin half gloves (w/o fingers) underneath the wrist guard. The rough outdoor asphalt ground will cut into and shave a layer of skin off your palm easily; learned that painful lesson, ouch! Straps of wrist guard are usually hard. I love the feel of the soft gloves protecting my palm from the rough edges of the straps that I wear them even at indoor.
oel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 09:42 PM   #9
motosk8ter
Senior Grand PooPah

I think it is a very good idea to wear all the gear all the time. That said I will go to the rink and only wear knee protection. That said it is a predictable surface and have always skated "naked" at the rink. Outside is a different matter where rocks, twigs and cracks lurk. My speed outside is higher as well. I have had only two crashes, knock on wood, outside in the past three years. In each case I had just put new wheels on, was going 20+ mph downhill going into a 90 degree curve and the wheels would not grip for the turn. The most recent crash resulted in cracked ribs and a jammed thumb despite my best efforts to control the points of contact. Might consider some of those fancy pants.
Old April 29th, 2012, 01:56 AM   #10
crashpants
tingle

The weird thing about my fall at the indoor rink is that I wasn't even moving. They had just ended a song and were clearing the floor for a specific event and I'd turned to head directly toward the side, a move I don't normally make. I'd stopped and turned when I lost leverage behind both heels and slammed backwards on the floor.
Old June 21st, 2012, 09:11 PM   #11
SanGabriel

Default le biff

Glad you saved your head! Had a similar experience on a motorcycle/patch of wet leaves once.

Last night, despite vigilantly dodging wheel-catching rocks and sticks, one of my axles loosened (got lazy and omitted the locktite) and the wheel seized, pitching me sprawling across the road. Got quite the road rash on a knee and elbow. Fortunately no traffic near. Pretty sore in general today. I'm going to resume using helmet and pads again after many years without. Just a matter of time I guess.
Thanks for the cautionary tale as reminder!
Old June 21st, 2012, 10:57 PM   #12
phatnsassy
Living on my EDGE

I'm going to resume using helmet and pads again after many years without. Just a matter of time I guess.
Thanks for the cautionary tale as reminder!

Like that idea! Glad you're okay..

I took fall at the rink the other night. I'm a lot more used to my inlines than my quads...I think I clipped my wheels together. Anyway, I did a nice side dive skinning my elbow and knee. Just adds character I guess. Oh well, my legs are not my stong point.
phatnsassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2012, 01:31 AM   #13
crashpants
tingle

SanGabriel - Glad you are okay!

I explained to one of our better skaters in the club here that I don't wear the gear because I'm afraid of falling, I expect to fall. So I might as well be prepared.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 01:48 AM   #14
asphalt piste

Glad you're ok. You should shop for a new helmet now.
asphalt piste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2012, 01:54 AM   #15
princessfluffhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashpants View Post
The weird thing about my fall at the indoor rink is that I wasn't even moving. They had just ended a song and were clearing the floor for a specific event and I'd turned to head directly toward the side, a move I don't normally make. I'd stopped and turned when I lost leverage behind both heels and slammed backwards on the floor.
The worst fall I ever had I was not moving either. Funny how that works. Lucky I was in full gear for derby. I had a hella bloody nose though.
princessfluffhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2012, 07:39 AM   #16
Jenne

Glad your gear worked! I skate in full gear, including mouthguard, which I HATE. When the little hooligans ask me why all the padding, I tell them it's because they're dangerous. They love that. :-) Along with the usual kit, I also wear soccer shin guards and a tailbone protector. (I skate indoors, on quads, on a floor that has some rough patches and some slick spots. I also like hard, slippy wheels. It's inevitable that I will fall.)
Jenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2012, 09:16 AM   #17
wolfsbane902

woo - that was terrible! it's lucky you were padded up!!

I nv pad up, should I start now? I feel so..noob if i pad up.. i was thinking just knee and wrist guards.
wolfsbane902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2012, 08:34 PM   #18
Jenne

Well, if I'm just tooling around on my art skates, I don't pad up, but if I'm going to push myself and work on something new, I want the pads! I just feel safer. I think, too, that if you know your fall will be somewhat cushioned, it helps you relax into it, so you don't get hurt as badly.
Old July 7th, 2012, 09:06 PM   #19
Code Monkey

Hey crash, long ago a neighbor kid who did stunt skating, there is another word for it just not thinking of it at the moment. He saw me out skating and saw that I was not terribly balanced so he gave me a few lessons which have saved me more than any equipment, although I wear helmet and wrist guards. Do this on a lawn and get a gymnasts mat. First thing is never stand up straight on skates. As soon as your hips get over your back wheels you are likely to go over. Instinct tells you to quickly move your hands back but what that does is give more momentum thus force to your already happening fall. Bad. I was taught as soon as you feel yourself going backwards, squat like you are going to sit on a toilet. This usually stops the backward fall and it becomes a non-issue. Throw your hands forward at the same time to add momentum to this sitting on toilet posture.

If already commited to the going backwards fall, rotate yourself fast and extend your hands and turn your fall into a sidewards roll. Do not stop your momentum. Roll. Practice this over and over again with all your pads on but no skates. At first roll close to the mat then progress up higher. Once you retrain your brain to do what is not instinctual you will never fall backwards again. Also, when standing immediately do a t-stop position with your skates. Meaning one pointed forward and the other directy (and touching) the back of the forward skate in a perpendicular way. This locks your skates up and keeps you from moving. Also, stand bent kneed, sort of Cromagnon like. I know, I know, that is easy for me.

This kid would come over and practice these falls and rolls a lot and you sort of have to to retrain the brain. But it is also great exercise and you will be developing all kinds of muscles that otherwise get neglected and these need to be developed in order to handle a fall well. I have had some really hard and fast falls and this practice saved me. I hit one time going almost 30 mph and just got a road rash burn about the size of a dime. Skates got torn up and helmet got some good gashes but I was fine.

Falling is going to happen. Practice how to fall correctly and you will be amazed how much you can withstand. Sort of like Judo. At first you practice how to deal with getting thrown and falling and then you can progress further.

Helmets and wrist guards only help not completely insure against injury. You hit your head hard enough and even though the helmet helps your brain still gets slammed against your cranium. Wrist guards help but you can still break your wrist and arms while wearing them.

You have to do both. Wear protective gear to a point and most of all practice and develop you coordination and muscular skeletal strength to withstand stress. Eddy Matzger has a video where he falls at a good speed and goes into a sideways roll and nothing happens and he is fine.

It may seem silly but this kid flips around and jumps over cars and all sorts of crazy stuff and he made me practice the toilet sit for fifteen minutes every day. Then came the sit and sideways roll. Then the frontal hit and roll.

Do not completely rely on protective gear, that alone will not save you.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2012, 05:18 AM   #20
Jenne

I agree that practicing the fall is super important! (I did Tae Kwon Do for a couple of years and will go back if I ever find another USTF/ITF club.) Falling right is so important.