S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Other Forums > Off-Topic Discussions
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic Discussions You can use this forum to talk about any non-skating topic you want.

Old April 24th, 2012, 11:33 AM   #21
bmb527
Old guy with mohawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rebel View Post
I noticed this as well. My Transform was very quick when I first got it and then as soon as I started adding apps it started slowing down. Now, even after ditching almost all un-needed apps, it's so slow I want to throw against a wall.

It seems I still have some more research to do. Thanks for the reviews and information guys. I appreciate it.
My issue is with the system updates. They are for the phone's operating system, kind of like Windows getting auto updates from Microsoft. If it was related to apps, I couldn't really complain, as it is me that downloaded them. I honestly think that when they come out with a new phone and it is so fast and yadda yadda, the processor used in the phone is already taxed about as far as it can go. Then they come out with an update, automatically installing more bells and whistles, and it is really more than the processor is designed to deal with and it just bogs down. I have had this issue with 3 Motorola Droid series phones. My wife's iPhone 4S gets the updates from Apple and just keeps on flying as fast as the day we opened the box. Plus, we own 3 Apple computers and 1 Windows machine, well, 2 of our MacBook Pros have Windows installed, but that don't count! Our Apple products are just made better. The fit and finish is top notch and they just last. In all honesty, it is like comparing a BMW 3 series to a Dodge Neon! I have no knowledge of the new Samsung Galaxy phones, but I have had their older phones and they make a very nice product, but the iPhone is really a great product.
Ariston hit the nail on the head by saying the iPhone just works!
bmb527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 03:28 PM   #22
Rogzilla

http://googlemobile.blogspot.com/201...Mobile+Blog%29
Rogzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2012, 09:03 AM   #23
Brianwheelies
Fun on 2 wheels or eight!

A vote for Android here. Or if you can get it, a Windows phone. The windows phone is the most polished user experience I have had with a mobile device.

That being said, I am a proponent of Android. Right now I am listening to music on my 32GB micro SD card while using the phone as a mobile hotspot to tether to my laptop for internet access. Running 4G on Verizon which is faster than most cable modems I have run against. In Seattle I would get up to 48mbps on my phone.

As another poster noted, Android can be hot-rodded. Root it, ROM it, over-clock and under-volt your kernel, do custom themes.

You don't have that freedom with an Apple product.

Oh, and Apple seems to be an over priced fashion statement...
Brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 01:37 AM   #24
Bill

note samsung replacement screens also have the display. you can't just get a screen. when my screen broke they wanted $200for the glass and display to fix it. vs 30-$50 for an I phoneglass replacement. pretty easy to get many items for the iphone. being so popular, many parts will be available.and many will have experience working on them. phones drop screens break. insurance covers typically have big deductables. I had insurance but the 5 day turn around time plus$100. I just got a new phone. seen a few iphone screens break they are pretty tough but do break easily. I just dropped my phone out of my pocket. instant @$200 not worth fixing. I phones glass is pretty easy to replace. All sam sung phones have screens and displays as one part. glass screeb is cheap , but display is very expensive. so break a $20 glass on a droid you might have a $200 repair I phones get the advantage here....
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2012, 04:29 AM   #25
Brianwheelies

I recently got the Droid RAZR MAXX. Best phone on the market from all that I have used(everything except the Samsung Note). Screen on this phone isn't the best but it is more than livable but the smooth operating system, lightning fast speeds, excellent reception, and battery life for days get top billing.

Of course there is a massive OS overhaul about to drop and things will only et better.

There is also the new HD version coming out which has the bigger better screen and better processor to boot.

Very satisfied with my choice though. This is the best phone yet and on Verizon it just dethroned the Iphone!
Old June 16th, 2012, 06:26 AM   #26
jackbkwikn
Altamura/Boen/Super/En

Default Galaxy s3

Got mine a week ago. Fantastic......
Very happy
Old June 18th, 2012, 01:08 AM   #27
Bill

just tried a bluetooth keyboard for my galexy2 , wasnt a big fan of the touch keyboard. loving the idea of a real keyboard, but I got a mini keyboard. takes getting used to the size having the full screen to view is nice. you can hide the virtual keyboard when emailing.
Old June 18th, 2012, 01:27 AM   #28
ursle
Street Skater

Last night the daughter and wife took away my smart phone and made it dumb, but I got an ipad, 3g, perfect, no more microsoft, away with the laptop, no more smart phone, autos have blue tooth and gps so a dunb phone is sufficient, out with the new in with the old...err, out with the smart in with the dumb, err, less money out of pocket for comunication.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 01:57 AM   #29
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
Last night the daughter and wife took away my smart phone and made it dumb, but I got an ipad, 3g, perfect, no more microsoft, away with the laptop, no more smart phone, autos have blue tooth and gps so a dunb phone is sufficient, out with the new in with the old...err, out with the smart in with the dumb, err, less money out of pocket for comunication.
good move. the device is like a drug to me. going to burning man means two weeks of no cell phone. it's not easy. but not a bad thing. cell phone bill is almost $100 a month. have unlimited data . more minuets then I use. most of my use is data. much is via wifi so an ipad will replace my cell phone pretty much. maybe in a few years. really spend too much time on the phone. doing everything but talk on the dang contraption.
Old July 15th, 2012, 03:28 PM   #30
8-Ball
CERTIFIED ANTI CRONIE!!!!

Surprised that your not liking the Razr Maxx screen.

I have the Droid Bionic.. and I know that screen isnt as crisp as the Razr.. but I am very impressed with the Bionic's screen...
8-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2012, 05:57 PM   #31
Jenne

I would like the Galaxy, but it's a very delicate device. My son, who had had an iPhone for almost two years with no problems, broke his Galaxy in the first two weeks. I've heard stories of screens cracking while being in someone's pocket and I don't doubt it. In my experience, the iPhone is much more rugged. I would not choose to buy another Samsung phone. (OTOH, my son LOVES the phone and the operating system.)

I came to my iPhone from an HTC with Windows mobile and the iPhone was just worlds better. It was a revelation.
Jenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2012, 08:27 PM   #32
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenne View Post
I would like the Galaxy, but it's a very delicate device. My son, who had had an iPhone for almost two years with no problems, broke his Galaxy in the first two weeks. I've heard stories of screens cracking while being in someone's pocket and I don't doubt it. In my experience, the iPhone is much more rugged. I would not choose to buy another Samsung phone. (OTOH, my son LOVES the phone and the operating system.)

I came to my iPhone from an HTC with Windows mobile and the iPhone was just worlds better. It was a revelation.
my phone slipped out of my pocket and the screen shattered. repair time quote,was about a week. it had to be shipped to get repaired. the displays are expensive. you cant just replace the glass. it was a costly repair and the local shops I inquired with did not stock parts. display glass will break. the bigger screens will be more delicate. enough I Phones out there to have a healthy repair infrastructure. world wide. and suspect most will stock common parts that fail.parts to fix a broken galexy screen come in at $100+ I could not find a shop that stocked the replacement display. while they had rates posted to replace a Iphone screen $40 repair in half an hour.
played with an Iphone4 I liked the camera. I can type easier on my ipod. for some reason the ipod keyboard works better for me. if I had to replace my galexy2, a iphone will be satisfactory. both are great products. my next phone will probably be an Iphone. for reasons stated. the Ipod I have works satisfactory.
Old July 17th, 2012, 06:32 AM   #33
Jenne

The big issue we had was that they fused the display with the glass. Which meant that repairing either the LCD problem he had OR the crack on the screen would cost as much as buying a new phone. I need a bit more ruggedness in my phone.
Jenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2012, 06:59 AM   #34
Brianwheelies

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-Ball View Post
Surprised that your not liking the Razr Maxx screen.

I have the Droid Bionic.. and I know that screen isnt as crisp as the Razr.. but I am very impressed with the Bionic's screen...
The screen isn't bad but the SAMOLED of my Droid Charge by Samsung was better(non-pentile).

This phone is so good that I have not needed to root, rom, overclock...or do anything other than try and get the battery to burn down in a single day(very difficult).

I use it to GPS track my workouts and did 41 miles yesterday all the while listening to music, using it at the bicycle shop waiting for them to do some quick repairs and when I was done with the ride a few hours later I still had 59% battery left.

My Droid Charge would have been fried after hour 3.

I just want the RAZR HD because it will have the screen technology I want along with a better camera and the same MAXX battery supposedly.

After that I am done buying phones for a long time!