S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old April 26th, 2013, 04:59 PM   #61
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Indeed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
There are other, better ways then over-loosening to accomplish free turning near neutral, while still having a rapid rise in cushion resistance initiated at a certain point in the truck swing away from neutral.

-Armadillo
Yessir. It's called the correct cushions, properly adjusted. Did 3 sets of sk8s at practice last night and Kennedy helped out with one...
Old April 29th, 2013, 10:19 PM   #62
Marlo Brandon
Great BALLS of FIRE

Understood. I'm going to continue to experiment. I got some cushions this weekend so I now have cushions in three different durometers: 82a, 85a and 88a. I want to try the 88 barrels with the 82 cones next.
Marlo Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 10:08 PM   #63
VioletBuckle
Most Ill

Default Foot pain/ Inserts/ improper boots

I've experienced the same pain that you're feeling due to two of the things that you described.

1) Get a correct Reidell footbed insert. I have tried gels and other off the shelf/ after market inserts and they all have caused me foot pain...with exception to the actual Reidell insert.

2)When I was breaking my 265's in, I wore thick and sometimes two pairs of socks to stretch them. This caused me massive, and I mean massive, blisters on the inside of my arch. The friction from several pairs of socks can be a serious problem.

3)A boot that is too big or too small can cause foot pain. If the corresponding plate is too big for your actual foot size, that can also cause an issue.

4)Cushions/suspensions that are tightened down too much or are too hard. Try a range of suspensions in different durometers. I thought I liked medium and it turns out that soft cushions cause me less pain and greater ease of motion.

5) Lower quality boot. All Reidell boots are pretty nice IMHO. I will say I have experience more foot pain from 126's and 265's. I just bought some 695 Reidell Redlines and they are incredibly comfortable. There is extra support and cushioning below the footbed to mitigate vibration to the foot. Very much like skating in fluffy kittens.

I was able to fix this problem in my 265 and 595 boot by lining them in Dr. Scholl's Moleskin. It can be cut and affixed to the inside of your boot and feels very much like the inside of a Redline boot if you do it properly.
http://s1233.photobucket.com/user/Vi...ml?sort=3&o=29

Hope that helps. I know foot pain can really cut in to quality skate time.
VioletBuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 09:15 PM   #64
Marlo Brandon
Great BALLS of FIRE

VioletBuckle, thanks for all of that. It certainly made a lot of sense to me. I'm going to try to build up the width of my right boot with moleskin and see if that helps me with my foot shifting problem, and I hope fixing that foot shift will eliminate the rest of my pain.

I tried the purple (88) cushions with the yellow (85) cones. I set my action to zero lash and outside I seemed to have the range and power I had with my problematic too-hard set-up, but without jangly trucks. Tonight I have practice so I can give this a whirl indoors. I'll be bringing my orange (82) comes to swap out if I think I want more action. I agree the white barrel was too hard, and I think I like the purple one in there.

While I was away I tried on boots and what honestly felt best was the 595. I tried this on in Sept as well and also remember liking it, but needed to sleep on it. The 595 was recommended for me on the weekend, and I walked away with the boots.

Since then I've been wearing them around the house, sitting or standing with my feet in skating stance. I mink oiled them and worked at the toe area where my big toe needs extra space. I heat molded the arch supports, heel counters and right counter to form them better around my foot. They feel amazing with only the thinnest of socks. So far I prefer them with only nylons and after heating them up with my hair dryer, pushing in the counters and lacing them up tight, they've felt like warm, tight gloves.

The 595s feel so different from my 126s. The amount of support holding my foot is amazing and completely lacking in the 126. Violet, I will take your advice and once these boots have plates on them, I will keep the original insole in there as well. Until then, I'll give the moleskin a try in the old ones and see if that prevents me from needing 2prs of socks.

I'll keep you posted on my cushion experiments.

Hopefully I'll be able to order and mount some Mg Avengers to my new 595s in a month. By then I'll have worked them in quite well manually.
Old May 8th, 2013, 05:01 PM   #65
Marlo Brandon
Great BALLS of FIRE

Default Cushion update

I have skated a couple of practices with purple barrels and yellow cones set to zero lash and liked it A LOT. I maintain my preference for having a harder cushion on top, but the white was clearly too hard and I am enjoying the purple (yellow on top was too soft). So, for next time I'm going to swap the yellow cone out for orange and see what I think. At this time I'm just happy to report what an improvement the purple has made.

I'm still having the pain, and at this point I admit I'm concerned that there is a nerve I'm hitting that's at least part of the problem. As soon as I have cash to see a sports podiatrist, I'm making an appointment.
Old May 14th, 2013, 03:39 AM   #66
Marlo Brandon
Great BALLS of FIRE

Default Improvement!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2thvCjKuHo

The link above is to a video showing how to modify one's insole to provide relief from sesamoiditis, which I now think is my problem.

I didn't have the materials handy so I built a prototype using cardboard and wore it under my insole for my co-ed scrimmage yesterday. It wasn't perfect, but it afforded me tons of relief. Not only was I able to join the men's practice for 1.5 hours, I was then able to play a full-length scrimmage with minimal pain. I had my best scrimmage of all time.

Near the end of the scrim I started feeling the familiar pain, but it was tolerable through to the end. And today, instead of having a bruised, painful 1st metatarsophalangeal joint, my foot felt fine. FINE!

Tonight I went out and got a sheet of foam and felt, and built a more comfortable and better-shaped version of the prototype. I'm wearing the skates around the house and they feel just fine. Wednesday I'm going to hit the rink with a couple of my fresh meat buddies to help them work on some skills, and I'll get to test it out.

The boots I have are still too wide for me (my feet still move inside the skates when I'm leaning in and skating my laps hard), but the pain relief was so incredible I wanted to cry tears of joy. I've suffered from skates too big, too small, too wide, badly mounted plates and the resulting issues and pain literally caused me to lose a whole season of derby in 2011 (would have been my first that year) because I was hurting too bad to perform the skills. By strengthening and preservering as well as practicing skills on dry land, I passed my skills and played all of 2012, but it was excruciating. The improvement I experienced yesterday showed me that I HAVE still been picking up the skills all along, because with the pain gone, I was able to do all the things! I can do it.

Once I get my plates mounted onto my 595s which fit so much better, and with the help of my homemade sesamoid insert, I'm going to be unstoppable.

I can't begin to describe my elation.

The first step in this was the advice to get my plates remounted. I'm so thankful to you all for that advice. My skating got so much more intuitive. And now this pain relief...I am ecstatic. I will check in again for an update once I experiment further with my cushions.
Old May 14th, 2013, 06:47 PM   #67
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Great post. Glad things are going better. It is great to get a good skate setup right from the start. But after one has struggled with bad setups, and you have really strugled, you can REALLY appreciate a good setup that much more. It really made a big difference for me when I went from a package skate to a properly mounted plate that provided better turning and I had a blast. Still am.
Old May 15th, 2013, 12:51 AM   #68
Darkjester
On a hot summer night..

WOW VERY great post, I think this is the first we've discussed this resolution/issue on Skatelog. !! +1
Old May 16th, 2013, 05:34 AM   #69
Marlo Brandon
Great BALLS of FIRE

Tonight I hit the rink and spent 2.5 hours skating entirely pain free. It's real. The insert works. It was amazing, and now my hip flexors are tired and sore from all that toestop running I can do! I just can't get over it. I'm so happy...exhausted and happy.
Old May 18th, 2013, 03:04 PM   #70
VioletBuckle
Most Ill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo Brandon View Post
Tonight I hit the rink and spent 2.5 hours skating entirely pain free. It's real. The insert works. It was amazing, and now my hip flexors are tired and sore from all that toestop running I can do! I just can't get over it. I'm so happy...exhausted and happy.
I am so happy that worked out for you! That's amazing and will be passing this information along. Thank you for finding solutions.

I had another thought about your boot being too wide. Initially I suggested the Dr. Scholl's Mole Skin. Try cutting the Mole Foam to fit the inside walls of your boot instead. It's thicker and has more cushioning. It suggests that you apply it directly to your foot but I like it as a semi-permanent inner padding. Mine typically last me one year of hard skating and then I pull them out and re-line the boot.
VioletBuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2013, 10:23 PM   #71
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Keep Working The OTHER Boot/Plate/? Ideas

Hi Marlo Brandon,

Ref: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00164

Just read from my post forward to your feeling of better skating.

I am not too sure that you have this problem fixed, understood, and DO think you should still investigate adding and improving on the other options given to you. Boot fit, , truck adjustment, thin socks, , doctor visit to provide firm support and more knowledge.

Now, I have an interesting protrusion on my upper right foot that only occurs when hard skating. Since I haven't been doing as much as before that bubble is harder to find which I find WEIRD. I protected it with various podiatry pads to create local protection. Won't go into the name yet the sheath got ruptured according to my podiatry guy.

OK, I guess what I am getting at are two things. One is that you in Canada with Universal Health Care should go to a foot guy that can tell you what is happening on the bottom of your foot. You might have something similar to mine and then again you might not. Not is GOOD. BTW schedule an appointment when you know you will be inflamed. These guys need a hammer to figure out stuff. And Don't be alarmed come visit Doc Skater (all of us) after his opinion.

Second make sure you do the other stuff given by many long term skaters. You might also want to add some foot PT. Curling up a towel with your toes is one of many great PT ideas.

BTW I do not agree with our buddy Violet on using Moleskin as she suggested. I do use moleskin on my left arch, under my sock over my orthothodic, and use podiatry padding on the right arch also under a sock taped to my foot.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave

Edit-01: Bandaides; I guess what I see is that you have created a band aide to your problem and are still not addressing all of the underlying reasons and solutions for this unusual problem. In an Engineering lifetime I saw and still see this many times over.. Yes you have fixed it for NOW, yet have you fixed it for LIFE.

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; May 19th, 2013 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Bandaides other adds
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2013, 05:08 AM   #72
Marlo Brandon
Great BALLS of FIRE

Thanks Dave, I have actually read that page before. Let me help YOU to understand all the endeavours I'm taking, as per suggestions in this very thread, to solve my skating problems.

First and foremost, I had my plates remounted correctly to my existing boots. That in itself made a world of difference in my skating, if not for my pain.

I have already purchased better fitting skate boots: 595s (see upthread). They are waiting for me to afford a plate, so that I can keep my current plates on my current boots as outdoor skates. In the meantime I must continue to use them or stop skating altogether, and that is simply not an option. I have found a way to do that with the sesamoid pad I built. So far I have skated a number of practices and two scrimmages without any pain. I consider that a great improvement from before.

Universal health care in Canada means we are all entitled to the same level of health care but unfortunately it does not mean podiatry is 100% covered. I need to pay $75 upfront to see a podiatrist. (Similarly, I need to pay $85 upfront to see an optometrist.) I've mentioned in a previous post that as soon as I have that in my wallet, I will be seeing one. Obviously I want to make sure my feet are healthy! I expect that a properly custom-made athletic orthotic will prove much more comfortable and efficient than the one I built for myself, but we'll wait to see what the podiatrist says. I intend to bring my skates with me and show the doctor the sesamoid pad I made.

I'm continuing to experiment with my cushions as I've mentioned a few times upthread, and now that my "bandaid" solution, as you call it, has given me the opportunity to skate pain free (for now, as you say), I can actually experiment with different cushions without being barred from understanding the results of that experimentation due to the pain I was previously experiencing.

The molefoam is worth a try to make my current skate boots fit so that I can continue to get use out of them. It's inexpensive and if it can help me wear my boots WITHOUT two pairs of socks and WITHOUT causing me an additional problem, I will consider that successful as well. I don't see any harm in giving it a shot.

I don't know if I have fixed my problem for life...time will definitely tell.

I know you are trying to be helpful by sharing your experiences and I do very much appreciate that. But I think you may have missed a few important posts if you don't think I have followed all the suggestions made available to me. I came to Skatelog FOR the suggestions, after all.

If my pain comes back or my solution stops working, I will be back to let you all know. I will also be back to let you know what happens at the podiatrist, because I think it's important for the full resolution to be available to readers of the forum in case it can help them, too.

This forum is a wonderful resource.
Old May 21st, 2013, 08:53 PM   #73
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Orthotics vs What you have Done

Hi Again,

Thanks for the note, and back later.

Two kinds of orthotics exist, the hard and the soft. I had the soft which is bendable and now I have the hard. The hard creates more problems on the arch when we skate hard and with boot fit. Won't go into it yet I have a problem finding a boot that the hard-ortho sits flat.

The thing to me is that someone trained looks at your under foot. It could be something we are all missing.

I do think it is a good idea to take your skates with you, yet even though I did it, I am not sure my podiatrist changed his plan of attack. If I have to do orthotics again, which I might, I might go back to the bendable ones to lessen the problem on the arches.

Old May 23rd, 2013, 04:21 PM   #74
Marlo Brandon
Great BALLS of FIRE

Yes to all you said. I am lucky enough to have access to a good sports clinic with a podiatrist that is geared toward these types of situations. I'm planning to go in there prepared with notes about my experiences, my current skates as well as my new skate boots and I hope to have an in-depth dialogue about my options and the doctor's suggestions.

If I'm lucky, sesamoids are the extent of my issues and if so, the problem can be corrected easily enough. If there's something more to it, we'll find out!

I can report that I am still pain-free, my feet feel great while skating and afterward when my skates come off, there's no residual pain or soreness or feeling of bruising at all. The past 10 or so days have been wonderful.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 11:59 PM   #75
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default You know this is Great RIGHT!

Thanks,

You know we like happy accomplished skaters even if in pain, yet here
you are now painless. And still I guess with no new boots.

First off you must know your report is great, suberbe in fact.
Feet after a hard skate can feel great. They are like famished and
it feels great.

EXCEPT. I am just wondering if this isn't a break YOU in problem,
or the 'Go Away'. I really have to spend the time looking at all the notes.

I got a link on another computer about nerves that can cause the same problem in the lower foot. It is from Podiatry Today. The extent of your pain when you first posted is my greatest concern.

Won't add more yet I got thoughts about why you don't see a Podiatry person toot sweet.

Old May 28th, 2013, 09:43 PM   #76
big-red

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
Thanks,

You know we like happy accomplished skaters even if in pain, yet here
you are now painless. And still I guess with no new boots.

First off you must know your report is great, suberbe in fact.
Feet after a hard skate can feel great. They are like famished and
it feels great.

EXCEPT. I am just wondering if this isn't a break YOU in problem,
or the 'Go Away'. I really have to spend the time looking at all the notes.

I got a link on another computer about nerves that can cause the same problem in the lower foot. It is from Podiatry Today. The extent of your pain when you first posted is my greatest concern.

Won't add more yet I got thoughts about why you don't see a Podiatry person toot sweet.

speaking as a trained orthotist if hes made insoles and they make him comfortable they are probably doing right.

I think youre thinking of neuromas, possibly mortons neuroma, this probably wouldnt go away by cutting reliefs by the sesimoid bones, but can be relieved by recreating the transverse arch in your foot.
Gay Fawkes #511
big-red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2013, 08:56 PM   #77
Marlo Brandon
Great BALLS of FIRE

Hi guys, bit of an update!

I am still in the financial toilet so I still have not managed a trip to a podiatrist. Until then, I am making do.

The "orthotic" that I built for myself continues to work and offer me pain-free skating, but because the materials I made it with compress with use, I have to build a new one every so often. This has been working out great, but I do look forward to being seen and properly evaluated by a podiatrist.

As for my cushion issue, I think I've solved that problem too! To remind you, I was running hard cushions loosely enough for them to jangle a bit. It was the only way I could get the range of motion and lateral cuts that I wanted without feeling like I was losing speed/power. I've been trying softer combinations at zero lash and just being rather unhappy with the result.

Fast forward to me noticing a crack in my front left pivot cup. I got some new ones. Removing the old ones showed me that even though they looked fine at a glance, they were worn and ruined on the inside, and my pivot pin was sitting too far into the hole. I swapped them out and found the old cups to be deteriorated well beyond what I'd expected upon visual inspection. Replacing the cups gave me so much more manoeuvrability and control and fluidity. I am now really happy with the softer bushings at zero lash and intend to go softer soonish.

I kinda feel like I have brand-new, smooth, responsive skates now. I check out my skates and maintain them regularly, and thought my pivot cups were fine because they looked fine. But they were toast. Replacing them made ALL the difference!
Old July 8th, 2013, 10:03 PM   #78
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Ahh, the pivot cups! That is an angle I don't think anyone mentioned. Filing that away in my mental database.

Glad to hear things are going well.
Old July 9th, 2013, 04:53 PM   #79
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Glad you are Doing SO Great

Hi Marlo Brando f/Toronto, and Hi Big Red,

Well with absolutely no pain this long it looks like your solution which includes working your equipment is working. Also IF With no pain in bare foot walking and arching on that big toe it seems like you have all under control. I guess the podiatrist could make you a longer lasting pad yet I don't have any good knowledge on it.

Big Red this is the article.
http://www.podiatrytoday.com/blogged...rve-entrapment

BTW, Since my own problem elsewhere, I have seen a lot more and some sesamoid shaving surgeries described. Maybe on one of these sites yet unsure since I have looked piles of places including NIH (National Institute of Health database) Ref: http:www.acfas.org http://www.jfas.org/issues http://www.foothealthfacts.org/

P.S. Marlo keep up the good work.

Edit:02 Podiatry Today: Can Sesamoiditis And Hallux Valgus Be A Nerve Entrapment? by Stephen Barrett DPM FACFAS
Appears to be published in 2012 yet can't find the date fast. Thought I better give this just in case the link from podiatry goes away in the future.

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; July 9th, 2013 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Minor stuff / Reference
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote