S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old October 22nd, 2006, 11:33 AM   #1
skillwilly
flying shoes

Lightbulb New Prof video !! Great stuff see 24-3-2007

video back again; (old stuff)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pspylwsO7o

Last edited by skillwilly; March 24th, 2007 at 09:16 PM. Reason: youtube video's added
skillwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2006, 12:20 PM   #2
skillwilly
flying shoes

Lightbulb video ;Part two

video back again
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQumdhF6r04

Last edited by skillwilly; December 12th, 2006 at 06:17 PM. Reason: video back
Old October 22nd, 2006, 01:52 PM   #3
fablemaker2
Pathological skater

Wow! That has to be one of the best ideas I've seen. I just got those type of bearings not to long ago, and am now ready to clean them!

If anyone has video of changing frame (especially on aggressive skates), that would be really nice.

Thanks Skillwilly!!!
fablemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2006, 04:43 PM   #4
skillwilly
flying shoes

Thumbs up thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by fablemaker2 View Post
Wow! That has to be one of the best ideas I've seen. I just got those type of bearings not to long ago, and am now ready to clean them!

If anyone has video of changing frame (especially on aggressive skates), that would be really nice.

Thanks Skillwilly!!!
Appreciate your enthusiasm, in general as well, Iam pleased you've got some help from it too.By the way I don't wanna see blood on knees or fingers too
Uploading a movie on youtube is really peace of cake (''kinder werk'' in dutch), my wife made the movie with a simple photo camera and the quality is good enough

greet you with my hand.

Last edited by skillwilly; December 11th, 2006 at 10:41 PM.
Old October 28th, 2006, 10:59 PM   #5
NightWind

Great video!)) Thank you for such a good idea! It's really helpfull especially here in Moscow where we don't have many sunny days and have to clean bearings quite often!
Old October 29th, 2006, 12:12 PM   #6
skillwilly
flying shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWind View Post
Great video!)) Thank you for such a good idea! It's really helpful especially here in Moscow where we don't have many sunny days and have to clean bearings quite often!
Then you have a lot of time to do it!
By the way, you can reuse the cleaning stuff ,by filtering it again and again ,
by means off a (coffee) filter, its also less harmful for the environment.
Actually it's a necessity to filter out all the dirt and old grease in the processes of cleaning

Last edited by skillwilly; December 21st, 2006 at 11:57 PM. Reason: additional info
Old October 29th, 2006, 10:24 PM   #7
NightWind

Filtering is wonderful!

By the way, my friends boil bearings with some washing powder for 15 minutes on an old frying pan, then rinse them in clean warm water and dry on a hot iron! It works wonders! It's even friendlier to the environment!)) and you don't get this awfull smell!
Old October 29th, 2006, 11:59 PM   #8
NWGlenn

Quote:
Filtering is wonderful!

By the way, my friends boil bearings with some washing powder for 15 minutes on an old frying pan, then rinse them in clean warm water and dry on a hot iron! It works wonders! It's even friendlier to the environment!)) and you don't get this awfull smell!
Did their plastic ball cages deform? Seems like a warm oven and a cookie sheet would be a safer alternative.
NWGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 04:47 PM   #9
NightWind

I should have said - a warm iron, sorry!

No, nothing has been damaged!

And thank you for your advice about cooking sheets!
Old November 3rd, 2006, 09:30 PM   #10
skillwilly
flying shoes

Thumbs up

Quote:
Filtering is wonderful!

By the way, my friends boil bearings with some washing powder for 15 minutes on an old frying pan, then rinse them in clean warm water and dry on a hot iron! It works wonders! It's even friendlier to the environment!)) and you don't get this awful smell!
Water itself works wonders, it's one of the most dissolving flutes found in the universe and not yet fully understood by science.
I use to do my iron pair of tongs in warm water (exercise the pair of tongs open/close in the water ) leave it there for one night, then in the morning put it in boiling hot water for 5 minutes , after exercise the pair of tongs open/close again all the rust and dirt comes out and trough the heat ,the water is evaporated rapidly, then oil it directly, and you have a wonderful ''new'' pair of tongs, maybe it works for bearings as well ,just plain (hot) water , the environment is my boss for sure

Last edited by skillwilly; December 11th, 2006 at 10:42 PM.
Old November 3rd, 2006, 09:55 PM   #11
NightWind

Hi!))
Oh, water does work wonders!

I've tried to clean some old paint brushes by boiling them in water with some washing powder! It worked! It's saved me a lot of money!

I think... plain hot water is not going to work well on bearings! You'll have to use washing powder! But after all, it's not much.
Old November 4th, 2006, 12:31 PM   #12
skillwilly
flying shoes

Quote:
Hi!))
Oh, water does work wonders!

I've tried to clean some old paint brushes by boiling them in water with some washing powder! It worked! It's saved me a lot of money!

I think... plain hot water is not going to work well on bearings! You'll have to use washing powder! But after all, it's not much.
When your speaking of bearings its a different story, I shall try It with washing powder also.
Old November 4th, 2006, 01:07 PM   #13
fablemaker2
Pathological skater

Wouldn't you want to use liquid soap? I would think powder might be too abrasive, even if you're careful about dissolving it.
fablemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2006, 08:04 PM   #14
lee-mcdonald
the best member

The BEST stuff from bearing cleaning in my opininon is "goo gone" cleaner..leave the bearings in them over night and theyll spin faster than ever..spray em with a lil lube when done, let em dry and theyll spin 4 ever
lee-mcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2006, 11:58 PM   #15
NightWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by fablemaker2 View Post
Wouldn't you want to use liquid soap? I would think powder might be too abrasive, even if you're careful about dissolving it.
wonderful idea! I'll try it next time! Which is going to be soon... We are in for a big SNOOOOW!
Old November 5th, 2006, 12:00 AM   #16
NightWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee-mcdonald View Post
The BEST stuff from bearing cleaning in my opininon is "goo gone" cleaner..leave the bearings in them over night and theyll spin faster than ever..spray em with a lil lube when done, let em dry and theyll spin 4 ever
Thanks for your advice!)) But is the cleaner a smelly thing?
Old November 6th, 2006, 01:24 PM   #17
KeLLy

Very good idea to make a video.

Where did you find that nice tool to take the bearings out?
I failed taking my baerings out, as i was afraid to damage them (not sure how much pressure they can take), and i don't have any spairs atm.

Oh and, what brand of grease do you use?
KeLLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2006, 10:12 PM   #18
skillwilly
flying shoes

Thumbs up Swiss Bones bearings mantainance instructions

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee-mcdonald View Post

http://www.softlok.nl/content/nl/Cen...ailcleaner.htm

''GOO GONE reinigingsvloeistof 946 ml ; 20 Euro'' We can Buy it now in the Netherlands, expensive tough! It's a citrus concentrate ,probably it was in the original ''shake''bottle shown in the video , I never new what it was. Thanks.

''
Bones bearings the best there is on the skate market, i learned on this forum .
George A. Powell gives some very good advice in maintaining bearings (lost of re surge as i may believe)
Here i copied his instructions ;
''Clean your bearings when they become dirty or noisy with the most environmentally friendly cleaner you can find that is suitable for dissolving oil, grease, and removing dirt from the steel, plastic and rubber surfaces. We have tried many cleaners and solvents and many of them can be used safely. Citrus based cleaners can work, but they tend to leave behind a slight residue. Solvents are dangerous to use, but often provide a superior solution to cleaning very dirty bearings. If you use a water based cleaner like a citrus cleaner or a detergent, be sure to dry your bearings IMMEDIATELY and them re-coat them with lubricant to prevent rust. Some solvents/commercial products that we have used are: pure, or almost pure, isopropyl alcohol (The kind normally found in markets is only 10% pure and does not cut grease well.); Gumout® carburetor cleaner (found in auto parts stores); acetone (found in hardware stores). If you can’t find any of these solvents like acetone or pure alcohol, you can use paint thinner or lacquer thinner, but these cleaners are oil based and may leave an oily residue on the inner surfaces of your bearings.
If you use a solvent cleaner, please wear appropriate rubber gloves and work in a safe well ventilated area. When you are finished, please remember to dispose of your solvent in a safe, ecologically sound manner.
Do not add oil to dirty bearings. It will not clean the bearing, but merely flush the existing dirt further into the bearing. It may seem like they roll faster initially, but in reality you are only spreading the dirt around, and it will still be there to ruin the high precision rolling surfaces of your bearings. Clean your bearings before re-lubricating them.
Cleaning Instructions
Gently remove the non-contact rubber shield with a push pin or the edge of a small knife by prying the shield upwards from under the shield at the inner race.(this is a different construction as seen on my video) It should pop up and out quite easily, so handle them gently and don’t bend them or cut the seal. If you have the labyrinth shield bearings, make sure to remove both of them. Be careful not to bend or tear the shield as you remove them. Bent shields don’t fit right and may allow contaminants into the bearing. Don’t use solvents to clean the rubber shields! Doing so may cause the rubber to blister or swell from the solvents. Just wipe the rubber shields down with warm soapy water and a lint free cloth. Make sure the shields are completely clean and dry before re-installing.
(Optional Cage Removal). You can clean your bearings more thoroughly by removing the ball retainer or “cage.” We only recommend this if you are using the Bones Bearing Cleaning Unit or are an experienced bearing cleaner. When you remove the cage, the balls can all shift over to one side and in some cases, may fall completely out of the rings. The Bones Bearing Cleaner isolates each bearing with spacers, so there is less of a chance the balls may all come together on one side of the bearing and then fall out of the races. This is, however, somewhat common during bearing cleaning, and doesn’t mean the bearing is broken, merely 100% disassembled! If your balls fall out of the races, go to www.bonesbearings.com and then to the maintenance section. Towards the end, it explains how to reassemble a bearing from scratch. It is easy, and is how the bearings were assembled in the first place, so don’t panic. To remove the ball retainer, take a straightened paper clip or similar object and place it in the spaces between the ball seats, then push the ball retainer out. Pushing alternatively in several different spots is often helpful. We recommend ONLY pushing the retainers out. If you pry them out, you will damage the ball cavities, ruining the surface of that cavity. This will, at a minimum, create more vibration and a slower bearing, and at worst, cause the entire bearing to fail.
Clean your bearings and your ball retainers, (if you have chosen to remove them), by soaking them in your cleaning solution in a polyethylene, polypropylene, or metal jar. (We don’t recommend glass, because it is easy to break, but be aware that some plastics may melt in some solvents, so be sure to use one you know is safe.) Wear suitable rubber gloves and eye protection. Gently agitate the jar making the solution flush through the bearing. Keep replacing the dirty solution with clean solution until the solution no longer changes color and you are satisfied with the smoothness of the bearing roll. If you have the Bones Bearing Cleaning Unit, please revert to the instruction methods provided in the bottle.
Dry your bearings: Remove the bearings and the ball retainers from the cleaning solution and dry immediately. We recommend a can of compressed air to make sure all the dirt, grease, solvents, cleaners, etc. have left the inner workings of the bearing and no water is left. Do so carefully, so as to not get the cleaning agents in your eyes or anywhere but onto a cloth on your work area.
Reinstall your cages. If you have removed the ball retainers, use the paper clip to spread the balls out evenly and then insert the ball retainer so that each ball is over a ball seat. Then, gently snap the ball retainers back into place. Once you have all the retainers installed back into your bearings, check each bearing to be sure it spins freely. If not, repeat your cleaning cycle or replace the bearing.
Lubricate your bearings. We recommend 2 drops of Bones Speed Cream per bearing for bearings with steel balls. For Bones Swiss Ceramic bearings, only one drop per bearing is needed. Do not be tempted to use your bearings without any lubricant because they “spin faster without lubricant.” Although this is partly true in a superficial way, riding your bearings without lubricant will cause them to fail quickly and may cause them to “freeze up,” which is NOT something you want to happen to you when you are skating!
Reinstall your clean rubber shields. Place each one flat on the “open side” of a clean bearing where the balls are visible. Be sure the Bones name on the shield is facing outwards, then press the rubber shields gently into place using your thumb and a rolling action. Inspect the ring around the inner race making sure there are no dimples in the rubber shield. If there are, run your thumb around it to flatten it out. If you have Bones labyrinth shield bearings, the shields are identical so follow this procedure for both sides of the bearing. Spin each bearing for a couple of revolutions in your fingers to distribute the lubrication throughout the inner workings of the bearing. Leave a slight coat from your fingers on the outer sides of the bearing to prevent rusting.
Reinstall your bearings. When installing bearings into your wheels, be careful not to use a tool that will put direct pressure on the shield or the inner race only. Denting the shield will only cause friction and slow your bearing down. A proper bearing press or tool will only press on the outer ring of your bearing during insertion. Use a bearing press or your truck/axle to press the bearings back into your wheels. Be sure to check that your bearings are aligned properly so that your wheels spin freely, quietly, and smoothly. If they don’t, you will have to back track to seat the bearings parallel and fully into the wheel. If they still don’t spin smoothly and quietly, you will have to troubleshoot the cleaning process to find out which bearing component is incorrectly installed or worn out, and then replace that component or bearings as need be, before using the bearing in your wheel. ''

http://skateboard.about.com/gi/dynam...26s%3DBSCWBX88
(very useful information seems to me

Last edited by skillwilly; December 15th, 2006 at 10:13 PM. Reason: gramatic change
Old November 6th, 2006, 11:12 PM   #19
skillwilly
flying shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeLLy View Post
Very good idea to make a video.

Where did you find that nice tool to take the bearings out?
I failed taking my bearings out, as i was afraid to damage them (not sure how much pressure they can take), and i don't have any spairs atm.

Oh and, what brand of grease do you use?
Thanks Kelly
The bearing is pressed out by the spacer from the other side off the wheel.
The bearings can indeed be damaged ,if not taken out properly, its important to have the right tool!
This tool I bought at;Decathlon Amsterdam it's a French sports fabric
http://www.decathlon-usa.com/
But as you can see they are closing down in the USA(don't know where you are from?) Oh you are from Belgium; there must be a decathlon!
The brand of grease I use is standard grease commonly used for bearings , nothing special about it. But I have to say , speed is not the most important thing in Roller-soccer, its the comfort and the sound of silence, I have no experience with other stuff , don't believe the story that the wheels must keep spinning when you give them a heap ,they must spin smoothly when your weight is on it.(As you can see ,I press the grease into the warm bearings from both sides)
(don't forget the spacer between the bearings while putting the bearings back into the wheel, because you will have a hard time getting them out again)

Last edited by skillwilly; December 15th, 2006 at 10:14 PM.
Old November 11th, 2006, 12:10 AM   #20
NightWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillwilly View Post
the sound of silence[/I],
Can't agree more!!!