S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > About This Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

About This Forum Forum announcements plus how to do things like editing your user profile and dealing with images.

Old August 22nd, 2009, 02:06 PM   #1
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Default Forum Changes

Our forum has gotten really huge, and we have enabled quite a few bells and whistles in the forum, and for both of those reasons our forum is starting to use a lot of server resources. I am tweaking some of our forum settings and pruning some old threads today to see if that situation can be improved. If you don't like the way the forum is behaving be sure to let me know.

- Kathie
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2009, 03:09 AM   #2
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

i noticed that i only see 20 posts per page instead of 40. i guess that cuts the size of a page about in half. okay by me...
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2009, 05:31 PM   #3
GaSk8r
The rink floor HURTS !!!!

I also notice that once you get to the bottom of a thread, there use to be a link for a drop down menu at the bottom right to take you back into the forum section you were reading, now that link is gone and you have to scroll all the way back to the top of the page to be able to get back into the forum section, or sub-section, you were reading.

Any way to put that drop down menu back at the bottom of the threads so you can get back into the forum sections without having to scroll all the way back to the top of the page ??

Last edited by GaSk8r; August 23rd, 2009 at 10:41 PM.
GaSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2009, 01:54 PM   #4
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

<< i noticed that i only see 20 posts per page instead of 40. i guess that cuts the size of a page about in half. okay by me... >>

Yes, reducing the number of posts displayed per page can make a significance in different in server load fore a large forum like ours.

<< I also notice that once you get to the bottom of a thread, there use to be a link for a drop down menu at the bottom right to take you back into the forum section you were reading, now that link is gone and you have to scroll all the way back to the top of the page to be able to get back into the forum section, or sub-section, you were reading. Any way to put that drop down menu back at the bottom of the threads so you can get back into the forum sections? >>

I think that menu is what vBulletin calls the Jump Menu. I'll try to get it back.

- Kathie
Old August 24th, 2009, 02:10 PM   #5
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

I think two of the changes I made this weekend will do the most to reduce this forum's load on the server, because they will prevent bots and spammers from abusing our forum.
  • You now have to be a forum member and logged on to use vBulletin search.

• New user registration has been turned off. For now, I am only registering people who send a registration request and their preferred user name (two choices) to skatelogadmin@gmail.com. I'm trying to figure out how to change the message users see when they try to register, so it includes the new instructions for requesting a new SkateLog Forum account.
If we can keep the above two changes in place, I'm pretty sure the forum abuse problems and huge server load spikes we have been seeing will go away.

Turning off new user registrations is the most inconvenient of the two above changes, but if we can keep automatic registration turned off, the bots and spammers won't be able to create zillions of fake accounts like they've been doing.

If any of your friends want to join the forum, please ask them to send a message to skatelogadmin@gmail.com and if you can send a separate message vouching for them, that would be great too.

- Kathie
Old August 28th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #6
GaSk8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie Fry View Post

<< I also notice that once you get to the bottom of a thread, there use to be a link for a drop down menu at the bottom right to take you back into the forum section you were reading, now that link is gone and you have to scroll all the way back to the top of the page to be able to get back into the forum section, or sub-section, you were reading. Any way to put that drop down menu back at the bottom of the threads so you can get back into the forum sections? >>

I think that menu is what vBulletin calls the Jump Menu. I'll try to get it back.

- Kathie
Kathie....... any update on getting the JUMP BAR back at the bottom of the page. I REALLY miss that function.
Old August 28th, 2009, 07:14 PM   #7
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

GaSk8r, the jump menu should be back now. Are you seeing it?

- Kathie
Old August 28th, 2009, 08:32 PM   #8
MRDUSTIN123
Hi! how are ya?

ive been getting "the server is too busy" everytime i try to pull up skatelog for most of the day
Old August 28th, 2009, 09:26 PM   #9
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Hmmm... I got a database error once when I tried to connect (which surprised me because I thought we were done with those) but the outage only lasted less then a minute. Has anyone else been having problems connecting to the forum?

- Kathie
Old August 28th, 2009, 09:32 PM   #10
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

I spoke too soon. I just encountered another database error when I tried to connect. I will be trying to implement some of the suggestions made in the "deleting old threads" discussion this weekend, to find out if those things can help us get past these problems. Sigh...

- K
Old August 28th, 2009, 09:50 PM   #11
Armadillo

Default On whose server is the SLF hosted?

Kathie,

Is the SLF hosted by a 3rd party service with an advanced redundant server farm operation, or is it just running from a single dedicated server?

If it is a single dedicated server (with Linux O/S most likely), I would be starting to suspect that server hardware problems might be corrupting the database.

-Armadillo
Old August 29th, 2009, 12:39 AM   #12
GaSk8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie Fry View Post
GaSk8r, the jump menu should be back now. Are you seeing it?

- Kathie

Yes mam, I see it back now. You are awesome, thank you so much !!!

Lee