S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > About This Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

About This Forum Forum announcements plus how to do things like editing your user profile and dealing with images.

Old November 10th, 2009, 12:03 AM   #21
speedysktr
President of Everything

Make it like a tweet. If you can't make your
point in X amount of characters than shut the he
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 01:29 AM   #22
Smartin
Cerebrally Dismembered

ll up.
Smartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 05:18 AM   #23
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Personal Skating Only - Signatures

Hi Once Again CA-Kathie,
Hey had any floods lately...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie Fry View Post
I just deleted a 32-line, multiple-color, skate shop advertisement one of our forum visitors was using as their signature. Why do people keep doing things like this? o - o - o Sigh...
- Kathie
Advertisements and making money off others is part of our USA life.

As you know mine is simple and I don't add much nor does MA-Rick. I do like it when skaters tell their personal skating story in their signature line. Yet that is about all I like in the Signature Line. Now I don't give mine yet I do like seeing others. I use Swiss Bones yet big deal...
1)Wheels, 2)Bearings 3)Boots 4)Plates 5)Other 6)Other

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 03:25 AM   #24
A-Town Sk8er
theultimateskatesupply

Quote:
Signatures are (probably temporarily) turned off because so many people have been using unbelievably long signatures. It was really getting to be too much. Our forum visitors don't enjoy seeing the same huge signature advertisements repeated over and over in the forum. I think the forum posts are easier to read without all of those signatures, but I would be willing to bring them back if people will limit them to 2 or 3 lines. I think we also need a new policy... no advertising in signature lines, either for your own business or somebody else's. The name of your business would be OK, and your Web site's URL (Web site address) would be OK but no promotional language.

Comments?

- Kathie

I think that it really helped my website do business. Because i think people seen how many people supported me. Its not like people just stuck that in there signatures for nothing. They obviously liked the business we done with each other. I for one cant afford to pay outrageous advertising promotions through google/yahoo etc... simply because im unemployed and my website doesnt make a ton of money. Im not gonna rant though... its your website ... ill contribute like i always have. Do whatever it is that you need to do...
A-Town Sk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 03:05 PM   #25
speedysktr
President of Everything

I think the cataloging of skates, wheels etc that people own could easily be put in their profile. Furthermore, an icon of some sort in the signature indicating that a member was a seller or vendor could be a clue that the person's profile contained information about their website or business.

I don't quite get the listing of all of one's wheels, boots, plates etc., but that's okay as long as it makes the quaddies happy, it's all good. Seeing it in a sig is a little much and it seems better suited for a profile.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 05:49 PM   #26
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Default Why we want to disallow ads in signatures

We need to keep advertising out of forum signatures, because doing so eliminates a lot of problems, such as skate sellers creating multiple user accounts to advertise their businesses or sellers asking forum users to promote them in their signatures in exchange for free merchandise (both of these things have happened in the past).

- Kathie
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 05:54 PM   #27
ncsk8rgirl
Discovered SEDS on 1/1/08

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysktr View Post
I don't quite get the listing of all of one's wheels, boots, plates etc., but that's okay as long as it makes the quaddies happy, it's all good. Seeing it in a sig is a little much and it seems better suited for a profile.
I think that has something to do with a male chicken and a ruler

I'm fine with no adverts and 3 lines
Old November 11th, 2009, 06:10 PM   #28
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Default New Signature Guidelines

I'm going to turn signatures back on in the next few days with these limitations:

THREE LINE MAXIMUM
Signatures can have no more then three lines, including blank lines.

PLAIN TEXT ONLY
Signatures must be plain, unadorned text. No images and no BB Code or HTML, including sizing, coloring, linking code etc. (linking code is disallowed because we want forum visitors to to know what Web site your link goes to)

LINKS IN SIGNATURES
You can include a link to your own Web site, blog, Facebook page, or MySpace page, but not to anyone else's. You can only link to a skate shop or other selling site if it's yours (we will not expect to have more then one forum visitor linking to each skate shop). Exceptions: You may consider your local skating club, skating rink, or other local club or venue to be "your own" site, but not your favorite shop or seller.

What do you think?

- Kathie

Last edited by Kathie Fry; November 11th, 2009 at 07:25 PM.
Old November 11th, 2009, 06:14 PM   #29
ncsk8rgirl
Discovered SEDS on 1/1/08

I like it
Old November 11th, 2009, 06:27 PM   #30
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Default New Signature Guidelines

I'm going to turn signatures back on in the next few days with these limitations:

THREE LINE MAXIMUM
Signatures can have no more then three lines, including blank lines.

PLAIN TEXT ONLY
Signatures must be plain, unadorned text. No images and no BB Code or HTML, including sizing, coloring, linking code etc. (linking code is disallowed because we want forum visitors to to know what Web site your link goes to)

LINKS IN SIGNATURES
You can include a link to your own Web site, blog, Facebook page, or MySpace page, but not to anyone else's. You can only link to a skate shop or other selling shop if it belongs to you. Exceptions: You may consider your local skating club, skating rink, or other local club or venue to be "your own" site, but not your favorite shop or seller.

NO PROMOTIONAL LANGUAGE
You can include a link to your own Web site or shop, and the name of that site, but no language promoting it.

What do you think?

- Kathie
Old November 11th, 2009, 06:54 PM   #31
A-Town Sk8er
theultimateskatesupply

Quote:
LINKS IN SIGNATURES
You can include a link to your own Web site, blog, Facebook page, or MySpace page, but not to anyone else's. You can only link to a skate shop or other selling shop if it belongs to you. Exceptions: You may consider your local skating club, skating rink, or other local club or venue to be "your own" site, but not your favorite shop or seller.
- Kathie

Im going to ask a simple question... and then im done here. Why was linking someone's website a problem?
A-Town Sk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 07:07 PM   #32
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

A-Town, you asked a simple question, so I'll try to give a simple answer... Allowing only links to your own Web site is one of the ways we keep advertising out of the non-advertising forums.

- Kathie
Old November 11th, 2009, 08:16 PM   #33
73watermutt
I skate in circles

Sounds good to me
73watermutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 09:07 PM   #34
Smartin
Cerebrally Dismembered

I think a little color in the signature line would be nice to differentiate it more from the body of the post. I suppose that would cause some formatting issues though, in regard to which bells and whistles you disable.
Old November 11th, 2009, 09:15 PM   #35
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Hmmm... Good point, Smartin, that's definitely an issue. I wish there was a way to automatically end all messages with a ____________ or make all signatures a color that was slightly different, or a size that was slightly smaller then the rest of the post. I'll have to think about that one.

In the meantime, I guess people wil have to use the old fashioned ways of differentiating their signature from their post. Here are some ideas...

- Kathie Fry Forum Host
- SkateLog Forum
- http://www.skatelogforum.com

_ Kathie Fry, Forum Host
_ SkateLog Forum
_ http://www.skatelogforum.com

~ Kathie Fry Forum Host
~ SkateLog Forum
~ http://www.skatelogforum.com

* Kathie Fry Forum Host
* SkateLog Forum
* http://www.skatelogforum.com
Old November 11th, 2009, 09:22 PM   #36
Smartin
Cerebrally Dismembered

Color me blonde but the same page comes up for me in each of the links.. I don't see any signature examples. What am I missing??
Old November 11th, 2009, 10:35 PM   #37
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Those are four examples of how a signature could look. Sorry if I am missing what you are trying to tell me... LOL...

-K
Old November 11th, 2009, 11:49 PM   #38
Smartin
Cerebrally Dismembered

Each link takes me to the Skatelog Forum home page- After clicking on a "topic" I'm only seeing the short solid line _____ separation example.
Either it's my browser settings not allowing me to see what you're talking about, or I'm having a "duh" moment here.
Old November 12th, 2009, 12:04 AM   #39
Dec8rSk8r

I think she is just showing some examples of how you could start the signature out. Like with a - _ ~ * to differentiate the signature from the rest of your post. She isn't going to different places on the http://www.skatelogforum.com links if that is what you were thinking.

Male chicken and a ruler... yeah, that's a pretty good description of it alright.
Dec8rSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 12:28 AM   #40
Smartin
Cerebrally Dismembered

Thank you Dec8tr- I had the contrast set really low on my screen and didn't pick up on the - * ~ ect. differences.
That and apparently my brain is on autopilot today-- See link, click-- huh what??