S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > About This Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

About This Forum Forum announcements plus how to do things like editing your user profile and dealing with images.

Old October 14th, 2007, 07:03 PM   #21
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldiesk8er View Post
I wonder, apart from myself, who has made the most spelling and grammatical errors on the forum.
When I first got here, I expected the aggro boards to be the worst, but they are a ton better than the, well, I won't say. I'm just happy to see that most of the aggro folk actually can spell and use punctuation.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 02:05 PM   #22
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Quote:
I'm just happy to see that most of the aggro folk actually can spell and use punctuation
I'm just happy they are all still skating!

- Kathie
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 03:43 PM   #23
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie Fry View Post
I'm just happy they are all still skating!

- Kathie

Kathie you need to add a spell check lol.
Old October 15th, 2007, 07:19 PM   #24
eighteen_psi
Falcon Heavy

"Your stupid!"
My stupid what?

It's not that I mind the occasional typo, but people who can't get they're theirs and there's correct - these are the one's that really bother me. That, and the people who can't get apostrophe's in the right places.

eighteen_psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 04:09 AM   #25
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Yes I know the frustration, yet I lightened a little

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by eighteen_psi View Post
"Your stupid!"
My stupid what?

It's not that I mind the occasional typo, but people who can't get they're theirs and there's correct - these are the one's that really bother me. That, and the people who can't get apostrophe's in the right places.

Do you know that doing or objects versus eating in american english requires an extra letter. I use this as a spelling tool.
Super vs supper
Diner vs dinner

And humor is humour depending on where you live (US vs UK)
and there (or is that their) are many more.

The U we know now used to look like a V if you look at building architecture.

A ' or a " is a funny thing and was only recently invented; as well as, the comma "," Read some old stuff to have some fun with what used to exist. I still have trouble with conjunctions like ;as well as,

Years ago I had a dorm mate in college that I have never forgotten. Maybe he had a physical problem yet that isn't important. He has always amazed me that he could drop a full glass of water or almost anything and wasn't even the least bit frazled. He cleaned it up and went on to doing what he was about. I can't always do what he could do and probably still does, yet I strive to remember this lesson of perfection versus performance.

What I try to do on the internet is to listen as if someone is talking to you. The spelling, punctuation and sometimes the emotion then disappears and you can hear them speaking.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Dave
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 04:56 AM   #26
Cutemekat
Total Noob

I personally had, have, and will have lots of spelling and grammar errors, simply because English isn't my main language at home.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 02:12 PM   #27
oldiesk8er

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
Hi Scotland-Oldie,

We actually do have someone who historically has made a ton of errors. They have a couple of reading/writing brain problems that create a difficult challenge in communications.

Once, or maybe more than once, when I was overloaded with work expectations, stress, family problems, and other life problems so that it became difficult to stay organized and move through the mess called life at that moment, I finally understood how difficult a challenge it was for someone who couldn't write what they could think and say.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Dave
Most prophetic. Sometimes our comments are out of place when we don't know all the facts but think we do.
oldiesk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2007, 07:37 PM   #28
lightningstrike
who you callin' junior ?

Location: The stars and beyond - buy me some orange juice and I'll tell you exactly where.
Default Hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
When I first got here, I expected the aggro boards to be the worst, but they are a ton better than the, well, I won't say. I'm just happy to see that most of the aggro folk actually can spell and use punctuation.
Lol !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWI-Sheldon View Post
Nott me! becuas i utaliz the spel cheker in word programm and than i paiste it onto the thred post.
Brilliant !!!

Last edited by lightningstrike; December 11th, 2007 at 09:27 PM.
lightningstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 12:38 AM   #29
Alan

Ok, all the forum members who have spelling errors in "their" posts, have to send a dollar to Kathie....for each and every spelling error they make.

Errors such as the improper use of there, their or they're will be billed at the current "their" rate of 6 dollars per infraction!

All error payments are to be made at the end of the month, preferred currency is gold bouillon or Chinese Yen. Canadian currency is also accepted as it has increased in value substantially...thank you very much president Bush.

Failure to pay will result in a visit from Doc...and you don't want "Doc" to pay you a visit. He's coming to impound your skates...I know, brutal and vicious as it seems he's comin' fer yer skates, and he's gonna re-sell them to someone who can SPELL!!
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 11:54 AM   #30
Tremor
I tastes like chicken!

OK Bill I'm sorry, it may not have been you with the whole "there, their or they're" thing, and I accept the fact that I may have given the wrong person a rash of $h!t (praise, c'mon you know me, since I'm the spell-check NAZI).
Old March 22nd, 2008, 03:52 AM   #31
eighteen_psi
Falcon Heavy

ths pst wz rn thru da bld en speel chekr - sems dat allmst evry wrd iz currect snc et undrlinze dem fur mi
eighteen_psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 04:41 AM   #32
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default You remind me of a man's brother

Hi 18 pounds per square inch,

Quote:
Originally Posted by eighteen_psi View Post
ths pst wz rn thru da bld en speel chekr - sems dat allmst evry wrd iz currect snc et undrlinze dem fur mi
Quite cute..

Back in the 70's I worked under a former navy meteorogist (in his 50's) who had forcasted for the battle of Midway. He was a GS and lead trainer in the US Army when I knew him. His brother sent him entire letters just like yours and also used symbols and shapes.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave

Edit-01: Gee what an outrage since here I am correcting my original spelling of new to knew

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; March 22nd, 2008 at 05:28 AM. Reason: spelling of knew
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 05:49 PM   #33
okie

Lightbulb Its Ok??? SPell Check and Grammer???

Okie Dokie,so all you english majors etc. Me being a degreed engineer(USC 1967) and I have been doing Military quality fabrication reviews for over 37 years @ Boeing Aircraft company. It ain't going to work? Here. So I gotta talk the talk and walk the plank? Spit and not wear underarm deodorant. Bathe ever other day. Cut my own hair. NO VANITY Required. Locals will ignore you if your clean neat and semi well behaved?

The Women? You put your hand on there shoulder and their pants fall off?????? Maybe there looking for a cheap meal? Wild and Crazy. Never a dull minute. Biggest hinderance is they only know about a hundred words?

I retired here to Oklahoma. They don't talk right,spell right and most quit school in the 9th grade. The women chew tobacco,because its cheaper than smokes. The guys hunt and fish to eat. Third largest city in state,but newpaper circulation is only 19,000 daily.

BUT:::::::: THEY ALL ROLLERSKATE!!!!!!!!!!!! BEST PLACE I HAVE EVER BEEN FOR WEEKLY ADULT SESSION SKATEING!!!!!!! Rinks are older and been paid for for years,and they listen to there skaters,what we want and how we want it if we are going to spend our $3.50 to skate.

Spell check? I think and type,sometimes my hands are faster than my brain or vice versa. I could use Jam skate Smitty sk8. Text messeging? Would that be better??????

Okie in Muskogee
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 09:18 PM   #34
quadbob

Thumbs up know problem katie

but i kind of liked being compared to faulkner! thanks bill.

quadbob
quadbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 11:13 PM   #35
Alan

There is a spell checker to the right of the screen. Spelling is an easy fix...just "check" it out.

Ah ha heh ho ha...yeah. Ok

nevermind.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 02:34 PM   #36
Tremor
I tastes like chicken!

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie View Post
Third largest city in state,but newspaper circulation is only 19,000 daily.
OMFG, is that true? Where I live, the Athens Banner-Herald is the worst newspaper you've ever read. Sometimes it reads like forum posts. Funny, since it's the city newspaper in the town that houses the University of Georgia!
Old March 23rd, 2008, 03:33 PM   #37
Wolfgang

Criticizing spelling and grammar in any online environment is kind of like moving to Greenland and complaining about cold winters......
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 11:04 PM   #38
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremor View Post
Funny, since it's the city newspaper in the town that houses the University [sic] of Georgia!
Pretty appropriate, really.

(Bachelors of Chem Eng from Ga Tech, 1991. :-) Go Jackets!! )
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 01:26 PM   #39
Tremor
I tastes like chicken!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
Pretty appropriate, really.

(Bachelors of Chem Eng from Ga Tech, 1991. :-) Go Jackets!! )
Smart-a$$
Old May 16th, 2008, 06:27 PM   #40
Code Monkey

He's a ramblin wreck from Georgia Tech, but a hellava engineer.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote