S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old July 10th, 2012, 07:26 PM   #1
73skater

Default Minnesota Half-Marathon...?

I'm considering skating in the Minnesota Half-Marathon (August 4th). Based on the results it appears the event (plus the running races) is well attended. I would like to hear from those who have been to this race.

How's the course? Organization of the event? Please give me the typical feedback and review of this event.

Normally I would just jump in with both feet when attending a new event. However, I will have just returned from a 10 day vacation a few days prior to the half-marathon. I truly would like to attend this event...but is the event worth the extra travel (about 7 hours drive)? The only other event I am signed up for is the NSIM. I like to add a new event whenever possible but my schedule and geographical location make it tough to add too many events other than a staple like the Northshore.
73skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 08:52 PM   #2
SkateMO

This is a great event...it's well run, the course is pretty decent (as far as pavement goes and layout)...I highly recommend it.

In terms of the course, the pavement is good, not great (probably better than average). Parts of the course are pretty flat, and other parts are pretty hilly. I can't think of a super steep downhill that I would consider really dangerous, but there are some "hard climbs." The downhills seem to be more gradual (and longer). For a 1/2 marathon, I think it's a pretty tough course (if you're really racing hard and trying to break away).

Overall, it's a great event. Again, one of my favorites.
SkateMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #3
Alyosha

I'll second it being a great race. The course is pretty in a "city-scenic" sort of way. The pavement has a few rough spots but, over all, it's nice to roll on. With their being a running race as well, the numbers (and, thus, money) are pretty high which leads to a well run event. The hills are just enough to make the course interesting, and you go down as much as up, so it's not a brutal race.

I've done it for a bunch of years now and have never been disappointed.
Old July 11th, 2012, 04:09 AM   #4
K2Sk8er
Professional Bike Chaser

I did it last year, it was my first skating event ever. Had an absolute blast! For me personally though; I can't justify the cost of traveling to skate for 45 or so minutes when there are so many full marathons to choose from. But if you can, then it's a really great race. I enjoyed it.
K2Sk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2012, 03:19 AM   #5
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

I will be there this year. We have family in the Twin Cities which helps with the cost.
Old July 15th, 2012, 04:40 PM   #6
sxevegan

It is a great race. The road condition is good and the turnout is great. There is a lot to do before/after the race in the twin cities area so it is a nice vacation spot.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it there this year.
sxevegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 12:42 PM   #7
Alyosha

It's coming up this weekend already. The forecast looks promising, hopefully we'll get a good turnout. Anybody else coming now?

http://www.minnesotahalfmarathon.com/
Old August 1st, 2012, 01:04 PM   #8
ThePerambulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyosha View Post
It's coming up this weekend already. The forecast looks promising, hopefully we'll get a good turnout. Anybody else coming now?

http://www.minnesotahalfmarathon.com/
I'll be there. Hoping to really crush it!
ThePerambulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 01:34 PM   #9
Alyosha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePerambulator View Post
I'll be there. Hoping to really crush it!
Are you skating open or pro? If pro, maybe I'll try to find you at the start, we seem to end up finishing with pretty close times. Then we don't have to go solo when we get dropped half way through
Old August 1st, 2012, 02:01 PM   #10
ThePerambulator

I'm skating pro. Feel free to find me at the start! Look for this guy

Old August 1st, 2012, 06:08 PM   #11
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

I will be skating in the Open division, but I wonder if this is the best place for me. I think so since the winners last year did it in the mid-35 minute range. I can't hope for any faster than 40 minutes, though 42 minutes is my goal. Should be a couple of people from Team Rainbo racing there also.
Old August 1st, 2012, 06:58 PM   #12
Alyosha

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDonnybrook View Post
I will be skating in the Open division, but I wonder if this is the best place for me. I think so since the winners last year did it in the mid-35 minute range. I can't hope for any faster than 40 minutes, though 42 minutes is my goal. Should be a couple of people from Team Rainbo racing there also.
Shooting for 42 is solidly in the open division; hopefully that will even keep you up towards the front. Good luck to you.
Old August 1st, 2012, 09:17 PM   #13
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

That is what I thought. I hope I can keep up with the front of the division. I had a good race at the Chicagoland last weekend, but I will be skating on less sleep for this race.
Old August 1st, 2012, 11:36 PM   #14
Alyosha

http://www.minnesotahalfmarathon.com...479954-parking

The parking page has a printable voucher for $5.00 parking at the Science Museum of MN ramp which is directly across the street from the starting line.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 05:15 AM   #15
Jim

I'll be there doing the duathalon. I might be biting off more than I'm gonna want to chew with this one since I've only got 3 skate races under my belt plus I've only added running to my routine this year after 15 years of not running, but I don't care, I'm going for it.

Soooo, if I understand what I read on the website correctly, I skate the half and then keep the throttle wide open after the finnish line straight ahead into the transition area and look for my chair and gear bag. Then its off with my skates, helmet, and wrist guards, and on with runnings shoes, and run out of the transition area to mix in with the half marathon runners who will be coming around about that time. Then leave the runners at the 5K turnaround and mix in with the slower half marathon skaters on the way back.

Sounds like a ton of fun if I can stand it. I've never done a duathalon or anything like this before, so any tips from those who have will be welcome.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2012, 07:18 PM   #16
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Jim, how did you do? You make it through both parts of the race?

Glad the rain held off. There were a couple of wet spots, though. Ended up being a fun race. I did the best I could to stick with the lead pack in the open division. I lost them on the hill 9 miles in because I was at the back of the pack and couldn't hold on. Managed to finish around 43 minutes, which was just a little slower than I was hoping. Still a great race, though.
Old August 4th, 2012, 08:48 PM   #17
Alyosha

Inline Skate Mpls Write-up
Results

The pace in the pro race was "relatively slow" for the first 6-8 miles of the race. Noone wanted to burn themselves out pushing the pace up the hills so I was able to hang with the main pack the whole race. In the last mile I ended up in a little group that got gapped off of the main pack and never caught up. I tried to make a push to catch them but ended up running out of gas in the last 500 yards and finishing at the very back of the main pack. Can't complain too much about that, though; a few better tactical decisions and I'm right up in the pack.

I also ended up right at the front on the starting line, so I lead one of the monster pacelines for the first mile or so. That's basically the only time I'll be skating neck and neck with Sarmiento
Old August 4th, 2012, 09:33 PM   #18
Alyosha

Oh yeah, and, "ThePerambulator", great to meet you - and great race.
Old August 4th, 2012, 09:48 PM   #19
ThePerambulator

This was a great race. For me, and just in general. I don't have any regrets after this one in terms of tactics, effort, etc. 36:51

Nice to meet you too, Dale! Just realized I don't even think I gave you my name (Chris).
Old August 5th, 2012, 12:47 AM   #20
INRI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePerambulator View Post
This was a great race. For me, and just in general. I don't have any regrets after this one in terms of tactics, effort, etc. 36:51

Nice to meet you too, Dale! Just realized I don't even think I gave you my name (Chris).
Wow Chris that's a blazing fast time!! Congratulations!!Do you log your skates with an app such as Endomondo or Strava, etc? If so perhaps you could post your skate online? I for one would be very interested to review your skate and to learn from it.
INRI is offline   Reply With Quote