S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum > Outdoor Quads
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Quads Discussions about outdoor quad skates and any discussion relatd to skating on quad roller skatse outdoors.

Old May 30th, 2011, 03:08 PM   #61
jbgerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed freak View Post
Indeed! Does anyone here know of any place that has 698 micro bearings that are of a higher standard then the ABEC 5 bearings that come with these wheels? Its amazing how fast these wheels are with the standard bearings in them. Imagine if Bones made a 698 Bones swiss/Ceramic micro bearing! the speed would be insane!! Also Are these wheels so fast because of the tire or because they take 698 micro bearings?
Because I use 7 mm axles, I had to get "607" bearings for the Twister. Got some from SKF, one side shielded. After I have cleaned and re-lubricated them - very fast.
jbgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2011, 04:40 PM   #62
Elysarian
Ex-Pat Wiganer

Quote:
Indeed! Does anyone here know of any place that has 698 micro bearings that are of a higher standard then the ABEC 5 bearings that come with these wheels? Its amazing how fast these wheels are with the standard bearings in them. Imagine if Bones made a 698 Bones swiss/Ceramic micro bearing! the speed would be insane!! Also Are these wheels so fast because of the tire or because they take 698 micro bearings?
Here's some with ceramic balls - ABEC 7 rating but fairly expensive at $24.95 each (or close to $400 for a full set)
Or would you prefer full ceramic? (I hope you're ready for the price though... $69 per bearing or a shade over $1,100 a set if I got the math right).

That was just a cursory googling though, may find better prices elsewhere (doubt you'll find them made by any of the skate bearing makers though, they tend to stick to the bigger sizes).

Now with added Daughter!
Elysarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2011, 06:58 PM   #63
Speed freak

jbgerman - Comparing just the bearings, whilst trying to leave out the other factors e.g. different plates (7mm and 8mm) and boots. Is there a major difference in speed etc between the 607 (7mm) SKF bearing and the ABEC 5 bearings that come with the twisters? I know its difficult because your 7mm plates are probably better then your 8mm and you probably dont have identical boots that they are mounted on.

Elysarian - I did come across those as well, but the price is insane! Plus I like skate bearings.
Speed freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2011, 08:03 PM   #64
jbgerman

[QUOTE=Speed freak;509129]jbgerman - Comparing just the bearings, whilst trying to leave out the other factors e.g. different plates (7mm and 8mm) and boots. Is there a major difference in speed etc between the 607 (7mm) SKF bearing and the ABEC 5 bearings that come with the twisters? I know its difficult because your 7mm plates are probably better then your 8mm and you probably dont have identical boots that they are mounted on.

Before I tried the Velocity Race with the original bearings and shims to reduce the diameter. The SKF have a better "roll" and less bearing clearance. - in my subjective observation.
Old May 31st, 2011, 08:17 PM   #65
Elysarian
Ex-Pat Wiganer

Quote:
jbgerman - Comparing just the bearings, whilst trying to leave out the other factors e.g. different plates (7mm and 8mm) and boots. Is there a major difference in speed etc between the 607 (7mm) SKF bearing and the ABEC 5 bearings that come with the twisters? I know its difficult because your 7mm plates are probably better then your 8mm and you probably dont have identical boots that they are mounted on.

Elysarian - I did come across those as well, but the price is insane! Plus I like skate bearings.
I also prefer skate bearings, my "outdoor" wheels are an old set of Variflex so I can get away with more normal 608 bearings in mine.

Now with added Daughter!
Elysarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2011, 02:35 PM   #66
Speed freak

[QUOTE=jbgerman;509150]
Quote:

Before I tried the Velocity Race with the original bearings and shims to reduce the diameter. The SKF have a better "roll" and less bearing clearance. - in my subjective observation.
where did you get your 7mm bearings from? and were they 607 or 697?
Old June 2nd, 2011, 02:50 PM   #67
jbgerman

[QUOTE=Speed freak;509825]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgerman View Post

where did you get your 7mm bearings from? and were they 607 or 697?
You need size 607. E.g. http://www.thebigbearingstore.com/se...al-Ball/Detail

I found the SKF at a specialized retail store for bearings and other mechanical parts in Germany.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 08:22 PM   #68
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

[QUOTE=jbgerman;509829]
Quote:

I found the SKF at a specialized retail store for bearings and other mechanical parts in Germany.
Now, that bearing is the same size other than the inner race diameter? Cool. Gonna definitely get some `cause these:

are awesome!! with the exception of the 8mm + sleeve thingy
Old June 2nd, 2011, 08:33 PM   #69
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

[QUOTE=jbgerman;509829]
Quote:

Not sure about the quality of this bearing but can`t argue with the price.
http://cgi.ebay.com/20-Bearings-607-...#ht_2188wt_905

Just noticed something. The 688 is 8x16x5 while the 607 is 7x19x6 so I`m not so sure the 607 will work in the hub.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 11:17 PM   #70
jbgerman

[QUOTE=gotsk8s;509917]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgerman View Post
Not sure about the quality of this bearing but can`t argue with the price.
http://cgi.ebay.com/20-Bearings-607-...#ht_2188wt_905

Just noticed something. The 688 is 8x16x5 while the 607 is 7x19x6 so I`m not so sure the 607 will work in the hub.
The 688 won't work in this hub, because the bearing must be 8x19x6. This is size "698". Same size with 7 mm inner diameter for 7 mm axles - 7x19x6- is size "607".

688 are micro-bearings used in some inline speed skates. 698 are "mini-bearings", also used in some inline wheels and also in the Velocity Race or RD Twister wheels.

Executive Summary:

Velocity Race or RD Twister need "mini-bearing" with 19 mm outer diameter and 6 mm width. For 8 mm axles the size is "698". For 7 mm axles the size is "607".
Old June 2nd, 2011, 11:40 PM   #71
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

[QUOTE=jbgerman;509986]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsk8s View Post

The 688 won't work in this hub, because the bearing must be 8x19x6. This is size "698". Same size with 7 mm inner diameter for 7 mm axles - 7x19x6- is size "607".

688 are micro-bearings used in some inline speed skates. 698 are "mini-bearings", also used in some inline wheels and also in the Velocity Race or RD Twister wheels.

Executive Summary:

Velocity Race or RD Twister need "mini-bearing" with 19 mm outer diameter and 6 mm width. For 8 mm axles the size is "698". For 7 mm axles the size is "607".
Oh, so its 698`s in there. My eyes are shot. lol I thought they were 688`s. okay, cool, again lol
Old June 4th, 2011, 02:05 AM   #72
Speed freak

[QUOTE=jbgerman;509986]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsk8s View Post

Executive Summary:

Wouldnt that mean that the 7mm is 697. Where are you getting the '0' in the 607 from? I thought it was 7x19x6 just like 698 i.e. 8x19x6. I dont know as I do not have them, but that would make more sense to me, but i may be wrong.
Old June 4th, 2011, 02:47 AM   #73
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

Quote:

Wouldnt that mean that the 7mm is 697. Where are you getting the '0' in the 607 from? I thought it was 7x19x6 just like 698 i.e. 8x19x6. I dont know as I do not have them, but that would make more sense to me, but i may be wrong.
Check the link in post #69. It is what it is.
Old June 7th, 2011, 02:17 AM   #74
cass38a

[IMG][/IMG]
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 02:22 AM   #75
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

Default ^^^^^^WOW^^^^^^

NICE
Old June 7th, 2011, 03:32 AM   #76
cass38a

I skated on worn a set of these about 12 months ago, they fly. These are the most expensive wheels I have ever bought and will only be used for racing. I have had them since the 9th April but havent rolled them yet, next race is on the 17th July so they need to wait a while still.
Old June 7th, 2011, 04:08 AM   #77
kiwimaster

What hardness??
I have 99a in CG and some 96a
box fasters I have 99a and I think 95/96 a
My favourite wheel for the momment is a set of Box faster doubles,91a on the inside with 89a on the outside,very smooth and fast on carpark type circuits
I am on the lookout for wheels in the 92-95 range...and trying to guess what will be the go on the new Timaru track

Quote:
Originally Posted by cass38a View Post
I skated on worn a set of these about 12 months ago, they fly. These are the most expensive wheels I have ever bought and will only be used for racing. I have had them since the 9th April but havent rolled them yet, next race is on the 17th July so they need to wait a while still.
Old June 7th, 2011, 04:51 AM   #78
cass38a

Not 100 percent sure (not stamped on the back) but think they are 84, they are the same wheels that Alan Fleming and Peter Edmonds have been using.

I had the option of 6 spoke 96a or these but couldnt spring the $$$ for both.

I was using a set of 84a laser lite racing wheels (same as a vanilla trackstar/scribble) and loved them until a big chunk of one wheel decided to part company with the hub. The poor things died at the exact time as my avatar pic was taken crossing the line in the 200 TT.

I vary between 69 - 73 kg depending on how much I have been working so the softer wheels seem to suit me.

I am planning on a January 2012 trip if work and $$ permit.
Old June 8th, 2011, 01:49 PM   #79
Speed freak

cass38a and kiwimaster - have you guys used the velocity race/ Roller Derby twister? how do the wheels you are using compare?
Old June 8th, 2011, 09:54 PM   #80
cass38a

I haven't skated either of these wheels. I have skated wheels of the same dimentions and my opinion is that the taller narrow 70mm wheels are faster if you are skating long distances with no real need to crossover or sprint.

So if skating a trail is your thing then get them if you can (and get me a set too.