S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum > Outdoor Quads
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Quads Discussions about outdoor quad skates and any discussion relatd to skating on quad roller skatse outdoors.

Old March 17th, 2015, 11:43 PM   #141
oldspeedskater67
"Old school style"

I bought a set. I called and talked to a person. She said they are kinda hard, prolly 94a. Time will tell, it sure would be nice, if they are like the old velocity wheels.
Old March 18th, 2015, 02:55 AM   #142
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldspeedskater67 View Post
I bought a set. I called and talked to a person. She said they are kinda hard, prolly 94a. Time will tell, it sure would be nice, if they are like the old velocity wheels.
They look like they have the same oversize 12-spoke hubs as the MAGNUM wheels.
They are extremely lightweight, but much too hard, and at 94A, the grooves will wear off in no time, shrinking the OD down to 62mm in a hurry, and leaving too little urethane thickness.

Keep them for indoor if they have any decent grip.

Get Zombie Hawg 76mm 84A and they will outperform nearly all outdoor wheels.
Plus, they last 2-3 times longer as well.

-Armadillo
Old March 18th, 2015, 05:19 PM   #143
HoneyBeeoftheValley
Return beginner

But don't those have to be cut down? What if you don't have the tools? Also are those good for noobs? Why not the 78A?
HoneyBeeoftheValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2015, 05:24 PM   #144
oldspeedskater67
"Old school style"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
They are extremely lightweight, but much too hard, and at 94A, the grooves will wear off in no time, shrinking the OD down to 62mm in a hurry, and leaving too little urethane thickness.

-Armadillo
For the price I'm going to try them. I have a lot of indoor wheels. All my rinks I skate have grip, and I use 97 and up. I'm using a set of early 80's Blazers outdoor now. I also have a set of poisons coming I'm going to use outdoors. I don't care for the real soft wheels. The lady I talked to said they were firm, and she liked road hogs for outdoor, which are nice, but really soft for me. I contacted a guy on eBay, and he said he sells a lot of them to guys who skate outdoors. I'm 195 and currently skating avenger plates outdoors. Considering going to a probe for vibration. I know the harder the wheel the more vibration. Trying to find that happy medium. Need to find a smooth place to skate.lol
Old March 18th, 2015, 10:08 PM   #145
steadyeddie
Ed Stednowski

Has anyone used Poisons outdoors?
Old March 19th, 2015, 05:15 AM   #146
oldspeedskater67
"Old school style"

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadyeddie View Post
Has anyone used Poisons outdoors?
I have a friend that uses them all the time outside. Usually buys the derby girls wheels when they get worn. I got a deal on a new set of the aluminum cap poisons. 69.00 shipped. Prolly should have stuck with the all plastic hub, but for the same money I picked the aluminum cap.
Old March 19th, 2015, 06:01 AM   #147
Armadillo

Quote:
For the price I'm going to try them. I have a lot of indoor wheels. All my rinks I skate have grip, and I use 97 and up. I'm using a set of early 80's Blazers outdoor now. I also have a set of poisons coming I'm going to use outdoors. I don't care for the real soft wheels. The lady I talked to said they were firm, and she liked road hogs for outdoor, which are nice, but really soft for me. I contacted a guy on eBay, and he said he sells a lot of them to guys who skate outdoors. I'm 195 and currently skating avenger plates outdoors. Considering going to a probe for vibration. I know the harder the wheel the more vibration. Trying to find that happy medium. Need to find a smooth place to skate.lol
If you time yourself on a closed loop, I doubt that any wheel firmer than 86A will roll faster than a a high rebound quality wheel like the Z-Hawgs 76mm.
Rebound is the key for having a soft wheel be able to out roll a hard wheel.
Got to be narrower too with 30-32mm near optimum (heavier skater => wider wheel)

-Armadillo
Old March 20th, 2015, 12:30 AM   #148
okcskater
Still rollin' @ 57

Maybe should have read thru this thread earlier. Just got in so Atom Pulse 65mm 78A wheels to put on my R3's to get outside, for now. Not sure if any bigger would have fit. Still plan to piece some things together in the future for out door skating, but other than switching wheels back and forth, these should get me going for now. Also got all the needed gear including a bum saver to protect this old body!
okcskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2015, 02:38 PM   #149
oldspeedskater67
"Old school style"

I tried out the cheap wheels that look like velocitys. They are hard. They skate ok. I sprayed some carb cleaner in the bearings a little to remove some of the grease. It is a double sided closed bearing. It improved the roll. They do have some big grooves on them. Lol. They are about 1/2 gone now. They seem to improve after the grooves starting wearing. They have plenty of grip for me. Decent speed. The bearings are ABEC 5. Can't expect much for 25.00.lmao the loop I skate has it all. Some smooth, rough, gator back, lots of gravel from a kids play area getting kicked on the trail. Some 90* right angle turns. Even have to cross the road twice.lol They ran right over small sticks no problem. anyway for 25.00 they skate ok.. Somewhere that is smooth I'm sure they would do better. Didn't go all out, because of debri. Gps said max speed 16 mph. If you have kids that skate outside they would be fine. I skated 6.5 miles on them, and I'm going to keep skating them on the crappy trail I'm currently skating.

Armadillo if I keep skating outdoors, I will get me some zombie hawgs. The poisons came, but almost seems like a waste to skate them outside. They are soft though.
Old March 23rd, 2015, 05:21 PM   #150
Armadillo

Quote:
I tried out the cheap wheels that look like velocitys. They are hard. They skate ok. I sprayed some carb cleaner in the bearings a little to remove some of the grease. It is a double sided closed bearing. It improved the roll. They do have some big grooves on them. Lol. They are about 1/2 gone now. They seem to improve after the grooves starting wearing. They have plenty of grip for me. Decent speed. The bearings are ABEC 5. Can't expect much for 25.00.lmao the loop I skate has it all. Some smooth, rough, gator back, lots of gravel from a kids play area getting kicked on the trail. Some 90* right angle turns. Even have to cross the road twice.lol They ran right over small sticks no problem. anyway for 25.00 they skate ok.. Somewhere that is smooth I'm sure they would do better. Didn't go all out, because of debri. Gps said max speed 16 mph. If you have kids that skate outside they would be fine. I skated 6.5 miles on them, and I'm going to keep skating them on the crappy trail I'm currently skating.

Armadillo if I keep skating outdoors, I will get me some zombie hawgs. The poisons came, but almost seems like a waste to skate them outside. They are soft though.

Seems like they did well for as hard as they are, but realize they will wear out a whole lot faster than a softer wheel, because the more abrasive outdoor rolling surface can dig in and shred harder urethane faster than softer urethane, which squirms away from being penetrated as easily as hard urethane allows.

At least they must have been good for their light weight. The Z-Hawgs cant compete in that category.

-Armadillo
Old March 23rd, 2015, 07:25 PM   #151
HoneyBeeoftheValley
Return beginner

Aren't poisons indoor/outdoor? I'll most definitely do the same, switch wheels until I can afford separate pairs of skates. Still plenty of snow on the ground here so I have time to save up.
Old March 23rd, 2015, 08:07 PM   #152
oldspeedskater67
"Old school style"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBeeoftheValley View Post
Aren't poisons indoor/outdoor? I'll most definitely do the same, switch wheels until I can afford separate pairs of skates. Still plenty of snow on the ground here so I have time to save up.
Snow, yuk. I think we are done with snow. Might get a few flurries, but spring is here. Trees have some buds, grass is getting green.

Yes poisons are indoor/outdoor wheels. They feel nice and soft. Great for a slick rink. A lot of derby girls use them for the grip. I have a friend that is very fast on them outdoors, BUT they are still small diameter wheels. On smooth blacktop, tennis courts I think they would be excellent. Where I'm skating I think I like the taller wheels. After a couple of laps I didn't even think about rolling over little sticks. I did hit one good size rock. Left about a 14" scrape in the concrete. I also skated a few laps around the B Ball court. "Concrete". that was nice, and smooth. The place I'm skating is less than 10 min from my house, so hard to beat.
Old March 23rd, 2015, 08:38 PM   #153
HoneyBeeoftheValley
Return beginner

Looks like I might need to get a couple of outdoor sets then, because there's a nice concrete rink/skate park right up the street from my house that I'd like to use to practice dance/jam (which one is it that Roller Dance Man, et al do? I get confused.) But then I also would like to do some skating on local bike paths and roads. I assume these need different wheels.
Old March 23rd, 2015, 09:36 PM   #154
steadyeddie
Ed Stednowski

Quote:

-Armadillo
I can't fit 76mm wheels on my plates, so I'm thinking of getting the 2013 Mini Zombie Hawgs 70mm. I found a site that has the 84A's for $30 a set of four, and free shipping.

http://www.nordboards.com/landyachtz...hannelid=FROOG
Old March 23rd, 2015, 09:49 PM   #155
HoneyBeeoftheValley
Return beginner

I can't even find the info on how large a wheel I can fit on my plate (PowerDyne Thrust). Did you just measure something yourself? Or try a set?
Old March 23rd, 2015, 10:08 PM   #156
oldspeedskater67
"Old school style"

Quote:
I can't fit 76mm wheels on my plates, so I'm thinking of getting the 2013 Mini Zombie Hawgs 70mm. I found a site that has the 84A's for $30 a set of four, and free shipping. [/url]

I bought some too. Thanks for the link. For 60 bucks hard to beat.
Old March 23rd, 2015, 10:20 PM   #157
Armadillo

Quote:
I can't fit 76mm wheels on my plates, so I'm thinking of getting the 2013 Mini Zombie Hawgs 70mm. I found a site that has the 84A's for $30 a set of four, and free shipping.

http://www.nordboards.com/landyachtz...hannelid=FROOG

Quote:
I bought some too. Thanks for the link. For 60 bucks hard to beat.
Be aware that the Mini-Hawgs often must be machined on BOTH the inside and the outside because they are only partially "side set" on the inside and protrude inward there enough to hit the truck platform.

If you have extra long axles you can space them out wider to prevent truck contact, but this will increase your wheel spread.

So for optimum outdoor performance, many will need to narrow the wheel on BOTH sides -inside a bit for trucl clearance and outside for narrowing thecontact patch & reducing the weight.

-Armadillo
Old March 23rd, 2015, 11:06 PM   #158
oldspeedskater67
"Old school style"

No problem. They are to wide anyway. I will cut them down. I was also looking at the ABEC 11 flywheels. They seem to have the similar reviews. 76 mm is the smallest they come. I could turn them down, besides narrowing them. I just don't think I will be comfortable with a 76mm wheel.
Appreciate the heads up tho.
Old March 23rd, 2015, 11:17 PM   #159
steadyeddie
Ed Stednowski

Quote:
Be aware that the Mini-Hawgs often must be machined on BOTH the inside and the outside because they are only partially "side set" on the inside and protrude inward there enough to hit the truck platform.

If you have extra long axles you can space them out wider to prevent truck contact, but this will increase your wheel spread.

So for optimum outdoor performance, many will need to narrow the wheel on BOTH sides -inside a bit for trucl clearance and outside for narrowing thecontact patch & reducing the weight.

-Armadillo
Thanks for the heads-up. Why cut the outside? How wide is the contact patch? Can't find any info.

Time to invest in a lathe. Mrs. Steady is going to be thrilled.
Old March 23rd, 2015, 11:20 PM   #160
Armadillo

Quote:
No problem. They are to wide anyway. I will cut them down. I was also looking at the ABEC 11 flywheels. They seem to have the similar reviews. 76 mm is the smallest they come. I could turn them down, besides narrowing them. I just don't think I will be comfortable with a 76mm wheel.
Appreciate the heads up tho.
If you can turn down the OD, then I advise you use the 76mm Z-Hawgs and take them down to whatever OD is the max you can handle.

I doubt that the ABEC-11 will perform as well, but I haven't tried them.
The many skaters for whom I have narrowed the Z-Hawg so far have all reported that they did not believe how well they roll outdoors, and that they never even considered it could possible to reach this level of quad skate wheel performance outdoors.

-Armadillo