S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old June 2nd, 2012, 12:14 AM   #1
BlackLace
Beautiful Snowflake

Default 10-20-30 Training

Was wondering what you guys thought of this:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0531102205.htm

Experiences?
BlackLace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 12:45 AM   #2
online inline

not impressed.
a workout as described in the study consists of up to 20 minutes of total running (not including the rest periods).
What are you supposed to do with that? Maybe i could use it for my warm-up. That;'s about it.
I think they need to consider that if they are noticing improvement, it is not becuase they have devised a training plan which actually builds much of anything. A standard taper period is about 4 weeks. Their study period is only slightly longer, at 7 weeks. So, a taper period, is by definition, supposed to prepare the athlete for competition. BUt it does not build anything - it just lets you rest up and maintain what you've already built up. So, this study just looks to me like a slightly elongated taper. And if the runners are so rested, which they would be by these terribly brief workouts, of course their performance will increase - just because they are so rested. But i think it is ill conceived if they think it will improve performance over the long term.
This year has been enlightenining for me becuase i run with a group and we have a coach. I am amazed at the science behind the training for runners. It is very methodical, and they disect what you need to do to prepare for your event, and they set about doing it for months in preparation.
Some simplistic piece of crap training plan like the one sited here is not worth the time it takes to read it, imo. And it is geared to get your attention in the only way it can. How likely do you think it would be if the headline was 'train harder and improve your performance.' That's what the headline ought to be, but it's not what people want to hear, and no one would notice it.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 09:56 AM   #3
kiwimaster

had a read of this..there is 200sec of near maximal running in this work out...A bit more than a warm up don't you think?
Old June 2nd, 2012, 10:01 AM   #4
kiwimaster

Default you tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2N0Vn9hT0E
Old June 2nd, 2012, 04:55 PM   #5
online inline

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwimaster View Post
had a read of this..there is 200sec of near maximal running in this work out...A bit more than a warm up don't you think?
Yes, it is exactly 3 minutes and 20 seconds more than a warm up. But that is little max effort spurts interspersed between minutes of light and moderate running, within an ample amount of 2 minute rests mixed in.
This looks like a very light workout devised for beginner runners that need some kind of plan that involves a little variety- light, moderate, and a little sprinkle of an interval. But it does not give the runner enough of any one type of workout. If anything, it is gearing itself up to be an interval workout, with far too little intervals. And it totally wipes off the face of the map any concept of tempo work or any endurance work. This author is saying they are worthless, and are not necessary. And i am saying, if you want improvement over the long term (more than 7 weeks), stick with established training strategies.

So, what does this author base this profound reversal of training strategy on? This is a study done on eighteen (18) runners. A miniscule study of 18 runners that flies in the face of common sense. It has not been replicated. It does not track runner progress for more than these few weeks. It does not involve advanced runners. It's just about worthless, imo. And i say that based on the fact that today's training strategies have been based on years and years of expereince based on millions of runners.

Do this for 7 weeks and waste a season, becuase you will not be getting what you need to improve over the long term.
But really, choose for yourself, as it should be.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 12:17 PM   #6
phicoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
So, what does this author base this profound reversal of training strategy on? This is a study done on eighteen (18) runners. A miniscule study of 18 runners that flies in the face of common sense. It has not been replicated. It does not track runner progress for more than these few weeks. It does not involve advanced runners. It's just about worthless, imo. And i say that based on the fact that today's training strategies have been based on years and years of expereince based on millions of runners.
It makes sense that it works for their group of runners. They are described as 'moderately trained'. Typically that means that they have the endurance to run 5K but they are not sharp enough to get a good time. Adding a bit of interval training can easily provide these results.

Of course, it doesn't do anything for well trained runners, as they already do enough speed work.

For an average person, if you keep doing this every day, then it may not be a bad workout for 5K. But I doubt you can keep it up for more than a couple of months. It breaks the training into too many small parts.
phicoh is offline   Reply With Quote