S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum > Outdoor Quads
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Quads Discussions about outdoor quad skates and any discussion relatd to skating on quad roller skatse outdoors.

Old May 5th, 2015, 09:20 PM   #1
Jeltz

Default Walking errr rolling the dog

Only done it once so far but we have a cycle path near where I live and I decided to take the dog out along it.

She was on an extendible lead and I was skating. It went really well only one time were she crossed straight ahead of me which caused a wobble.

I took a video with my GoPro and edited it to a few minutes if anyone is interested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6J1uxZoFB0

Anyone else exercise their dog while skating?
Jeltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 02:57 AM   #2
Armadillo

Bike path plus leashed dog is a danger to both your dog and people passing by you, especially ones moving at higher speeds.

Bikes can go quite fast and quietly too, and if one comes past you from rear and dog crosses laterally in front of it - big trouble.

-Armadillo
Old May 6th, 2015, 08:12 AM   #3
Jeltz

Thanks for your concern, I know the local cycling infrastructure very well as I use it often. Its open to any non motorised means of getting about so that's people on foot, on bicycles and on horses.

All users are expected to show respect to one and other and its not a place to ride fast, and you have to be prepared to stop occasionally as you can easily come round a corner and find a group of parents with prams and buggies, some horses or people walking dogs.

If I'm heading out to put 60+ miles on the clock not a lot of it will be on cycle paths as its hard to get your average speed up to a level where you can do that in a reasonable time.

Occasionally there are idiots chasing their personal best on a Strava segment but they are every bit as unacceptable as the people with loose uncontrolled dogs and the joggers plugged into their iPods who don't hear your bell or you calling out that that you are passing them on their left and veer across your path.
Jeltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 05:25 PM   #4
okcskater
Still rollin' @ 57

Looks like a good time!
okcskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2015, 06:17 PM   #5
coolryder68

Default Skating with my dog

Hi
I go skating with my dog at least a couple of times a week. I am fortunate because nearby is paved railroad beds that are perfect for skating. I try to go at off times and we always stop for approaching or passing people. Honestly when he is fresh and pulling hard we go by most people. Then he will jog next to me when he is tired. we stop and rest with water breaks every mile or so. Typically we do around 5 miles. Its lots of fun. People for the most part like to see us and he is known as the skating dog. Thanks Bill
coolryder68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2016, 07:46 AM   #6
District31

Love this. It's a great idea. I have a dog trainer friend who regularly skates with his larger dogs.

Great way to get some good exercise for all parties
District31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2016, 03:32 AM   #7
Chilli Jam

Default Good Dog!

Hi Jeltz, what a well-behaved dog!
Misty only crossed over in front of you the once? I didn't see her stop to sniff other dogs or say hello to other people in your video. So this idea would be okay for a dog with long legs and who is well trained. A smaller dog like a Dachshund or Bichon Friese probably couldn't commit to running in a straight line. Brave man to try, but you know your own dog well, and Misty will get used to you on wheels I imagine. Thanks for sharing the video
Old May 7th, 2016, 05:26 PM   #8
htcruiser

Would you consider a regular leash? Extendable leads, while popular, are very dangerous even on basic walks.
htcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote