S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old February 22nd, 2017, 08:57 PM   #1
Rollmazicon

Default Titanium axle swaps

I'm looking into replacing the axles on my Pro-Octane plates with titanium. They came bent from the warehouse, so I figure I may as well get an upgrade if I'm going to go through the trouble of replacing them. The trucks are just cast ones. I have access to a metalshop (a maker space), including a 12 ton press, lathes, mills, etc. I was just going to buy a length of 8mm titanium rod and cut it to length, then cut the threads into it (no real need for flips). Does this plan sound feasible?
If this goes well, I'm thinking of doing the same for my girlfriend's Arius axles (red). They're not bent, but I'm always trying to get her setup as light as possible, because she's a 125 lb jammer. Can both of these axles be pressed out? Thanks!
Rollmazicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2017, 07:19 PM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default No and yes.

I would bet money that the trucks on your Pro Octanes are cast into the truck. In other words, they will not press out. You will need to bore them if you are looking for a project. Wes Wild does stuff like that.

Since you will have all that work to do, may as well go to 7mm....

The Arius is easy..... Push out the old, push in the new.
Old February 24th, 2017, 03:21 AM   #3
Rollmazicon

Thanks Doc.
Do you know of any trucks I could replace the bent pro-octane trucks with? (Apart from $37 proline trucks)
Ones that could be pressed out would be a plus
Rollmazicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2017, 05:53 PM   #4
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollmazicon View Post
Thanks Doc.
Do you know of any trucks I could replace the bent pro-octane trucks with? (Apart from $37 proline trucks)
Ones that could be pressed out would be a plus
My Pro Octanes roll with the Reactor Pro adjustable pivot trucks. Not a perfect fit but certainly close enough. I believe those will press out but cannot say for sure.