S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Aggressive Skating Forum > Quad Vert
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Vert All kinds of aggressive skating on quad roller skates including quad vertical roller skating, quad bowl skating, quad skatepark tricks, and street skating tricks in quad skates.

Old October 23rd, 2012, 06:19 AM   #1
Apocalypse

Default interested!!!!

Hi I am a 46yr old woman that has done many crazy ass sports over t he years and recently have joined the sedate world of roller derby.
I thought that I could supplement derby with some vert skating, so went to local park. Well I geared up and all these young kids smiling big ass smiles but encouraging me that I could do it. Unfortunately my brain wasnt working.

I found myself at the BIG end of the park and didnt even think of skating around to the small side of the park. Afterall what's a pithy 12' drop of a ramp, ha I can eat that for breakfast. Well I proceeded down with great confidence the 1st run an upon hitting the flat at bottom found myself flat on my back halfway to other side of ramp(aprox6'). Now my arm swung back and smashed pretty hard into the concrete, it hurt like mad. I pulled and twisted it and thought nope not broken just sprained.

So I crawl back up and attempt a 2nd time with confidence yet again but with a little hesitation but lots of encouragement from the peanut gallery. WHAM!!!! it happens again, almost identical spot and with similar force and similar fall, arm swinging back. Now I am MAD! I quickly pick myself up and crawl back up. As I am getting ready I pummel the peanut gallery for as much help as possible and attempt again.

Yup, this time I get past that dreadful spot in bottom of bowl(ramps) and am just about ready to ascend the facing rampp when WHAM, it gets me same as before. my whole body hurts. So, red face I finally crawl over to the small side which one of the kids pointed out to me and continue just doing some small jump stuff and learning to go down a small 4'ramp. Needless to say, a week later I go to doctors and we discover the thumb is broken. Badly! Needed surgery and 3pins and 2.5months to heal.

Now, I still want to learn vert for something rad to do, but am very leary of reinjurying my thumb or even the other one which has been in a sprained state for 2months now. unfortunately I have noone cool enough to join me at park and I hate doing things all alone now. Are there some little tricks to learn vert? Is there some books or pamphlets on it?
Old October 23rd, 2012, 06:33 PM   #2
RS Dave
YOU'RE GONNA LOVE MY NUTS

1) Start with small ramps

2) Wear wrist guards. Learn to fall with your hands open so the plastic splint hits the ground. Don't fall with stiff arms. That's how things get broken.

3) Talk to Biff about the bigger stuff.

"Of course I talk to myself. It's nice to talk to somebody sane."
RS Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2012, 08:50 PM   #3
biffsk8er

Slide down into the bowl and start from the bottom. Once you can skate up to the top of a bowl, only then, will you most likely be ready to drop in from the top.

Btw, you were probably standing up too much. Keep your body perpendicular to the surface that you are riding on. It goes against wht your brain is telling you, but physics is a bi**h!
Old April 5th, 2013, 11:30 AM   #4
Blizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
Are there some little tricks to learn vert? Is there some books or pamphlets on it?
YES! Read this: aggressive roller skating 101 PDF by RollerGirl, available from RollerGirl.ca

It gave me the instruction and confidence to drop in the first time (youtube vid). I succeeded! Second time I fell on my bum but had crash pants on so it's was ok. I think my body needed to fall to learn not to fall as it did not happen since. I always wear my full derby gear plus crash pants when park skating as it gives me confidence to try out stuff without having to worry about hurting myself.

Good luck!
Blizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 10:36 PM   #5
Lil Rev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizz View Post
YES! Read this: aggressive roller skating 101 PDF by RollerGirl, available from RollerGirl.ca

It gave me the instruction and confidence to drop in the first time (youtube vid). I succeeded! Second time I fell on my bum but had crash pants on so it's was ok. I think my body needed to fall to learn not to fall as it did not happen since. I always wear my full derby gear plus crash pants when park skating as it gives me confidence to try out stuff without having to worry about hurting myself.

Good luck!
Well done! It's really daunting the first few times you drop in. Wish I had crash pants the time I did that Once you've got your boots sorted, get practising some stalls. Doesn't look a bad set of ramps, is there many more there?
Old April 7th, 2013, 09:17 AM   #6
Blizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Rev View Post
Well done! It's really daunting the first few times you drop in. Wish I had crash pants the time I did that Once you've got your boots sorted, get practising some stalls. Doesn't look a bad set of ramps, is there many more there?
Thanks! Those clips were from Horfield skatepark (pic). And another nice one is Hengrove skatepark (pic) - that's where I went yesterday for this year's first skatepark session! Did those bowls mostly. It had been more than 6 months since I last did it. I did hesitate at the top a little but then dropped in and it was great! My shoulder is grazed, my palm is purple and it hurts to sit but it was worth it I would not go without full set of protection including the crash pants because I like having a good go. I do fall over a lot but I think it helps my progress. It's kind of fun?
Blizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 05:34 PM   #7
CrazeeDave
Geriatric Quad Class

Good for you Apocalypse!!!
Vert will definitely improve your Derby and vica-versa.
Most of us need to crawl b4 walking so maybe balance and stance is best practiced on the smaller slope transitions b4 dropping into the big bowls

Yes, sk8'n with buds is what it's all about.
Maybe you can talk a few of the Derby team into at least dropping by if not in.

60 secs of Quad Vert Fun http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYJgY2PJ_vk
CrazeeDave is offline   Reply With Quote