S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Other Forums > Off-Topic Discussions
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic Discussions You can use this forum to talk about any non-skating topic you want.

Old November 6th, 2008, 05:01 AM   #1
Sk8GodFather

Default Skaters party for Obama in San Francisco

On Election night I brought the big park stereo port-a-party and a 27 inch TV and set them up on batteries. I showed up at about 7:15. There were about 3 skateboarders and a few people milling around. I was thinking that maybe this wasn't a good idea. Then John skated up. I knew I wouldn't be alone. Then David showed up. Jill road up on her bike. Soon there was a group of skaters and others that gathered to watch the returns.

I was playing music, but at one point I turned the music down and put the microphone next to the TV and turned up the sound. The sound of the news could be heard throughout the Embarcadero. I had began making declarations of a new president at about 7:40. More people began to stop and gather. There were over 100 people. At 8 PM when the polls closed Barrack had about 220 electoral votes. The announcement of California's 55 electoral votes putting him over the 270 needed to win the presidency sent the crowd into a roar. People were cheering, hugging dancing and just exuberant with joy. The TV was showing pics of people in Chicago doing the same thing. We watched as they showed people in Kenya celebrating and other people celebrating all over the world. We were fortunate enough to do it right here on skates!!!!

What a wonderful moment that was!!! What happened yesterday was historical on a global scale never before seen. There is a lot to be done. Change has come!!!!!

Keep Rollin',

D. Miles Jr.
The GodFather of Skating
http://www.cora.org
Sk8GodFather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2008, 11:25 AM   #2
Dec8rSk8r

Default What a beautiful story!

Thank you for sharing that!
Dec8rSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2008, 01:52 PM   #3
biffsk8er

Cool!

What is an 'Embarcadero'?
Old November 6th, 2008, 01:55 PM   #4
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

http://www.embarcaderocenter.com/ec/

I visited there once. Too bad I wasn't a skater then
Old November 6th, 2008, 01:57 PM   #5
biffsk8er

So, it is an ice skating rink??

I never thought of ice skaters posting here. I guess it makes total sense. Thanks for the quick answer, Foot.
Old November 6th, 2008, 02:00 PM   #6
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Yeah there's a ice rink there, but there's all manner of sweet spots to bomb for boarders and skaters.
(and all I had was this cheezy moped that wouldn't even get out of it's own way. LOL)
Old November 6th, 2008, 06:31 PM   #7
Sk8GodFather

The Embarcadero is a boulevard that runs along the San Francisco waterfront. It includes AT&T Stadium, the Ferry Building and all the waterfront piers. It runs under the Bay Bridge and goes to Fishermans Wharf. This is where we meet every Friday night for the Friday Night Skate. Check it out in the beginning of the Napa video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZSRoDfNeh4

We skate through here every Friday night.

D. Miles Jr.
Old November 6th, 2008, 09:20 PM   #8
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8GodFather View Post
On Election night I brought the big park stereo port-a-party and a 27 inch TV and set them up on batteries. I showed up at about 7:15. There were about 3 skateboarders and a few people milling around. I was thinking that maybe this wasn't a good idea. Then John skated up. I knew I wouldn't be alone. Then David showed up. Jill road up on her bike. Soon there was a group of skaters and others that gathered to watch the returns.

I was playing music, but at one point I turned the music down and put the microphone next to the TV and turned up the sound. The sound of the news could be heard throughout the Embarcadero. I had began making declarations of a new president at about 7:40. More people began to stop and gather. There were over 100 people. At 8 PM when the polls closed Barrack had about 220 electoral votes. The announcement of California's 55 electoral votes putting him over the 270 needed to win the presidency sent the crowd into a roar. People were cheering, hugging dancing and just exuberant with joy. The TV was showing pics of people in Chicago doing the same thing. We watched as they showed people in Kenya celebrating and other people celebrating all over the world. We were fortunate enough to do it right here on skates!!!!

What a wonderful moment that was!!! What happened yesterday was historical on a global scale never before seen. There is a lot to be done. Change has come!!!!!

Keep Rollin',

D. Miles Jr.
The GodFather of Skating
http://www.cora.org
Dee,you always make it happen!way to go!. we got it right this time, no court decision, thats what I was worried about , the people decided. the road a head is unknown, but we can do it.I'll see you at the rink soon.
bill aka skaterbill.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2008, 01:07 AM   #9
Dec8rSk8r

Smile a couple of links I wanted to share with Barack's supporters

http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/200...sky/index.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/...08/7710020.stm
Dec8rSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2008, 01:22 PM   #10
skaterdog

What a cool way to celebrate that moment in history.
skaterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2008, 04:45 PM   #11
Sk8GodFather

I had a video camera, but in the excitement, I forgot to get some footage of the event.

D