S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Other Forums > Off-Topic Discussions
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic Discussions You can use this forum to talk about any non-skating topic you want.

Old September 25th, 2008, 09:28 PM   #21
roller_dudette
skate addict!

wow, not sure what to believe. like i said i receive good care, but my appts here in the US are like 5 mins w/ the ortho dr. more if i'm lucky and the bill is $300 for that time. i write things down just in case. they maximize their time here too.
roller_dudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 03:26 PM   #22
cheezyridr
sandwich samurai

in the states:

oct 17th 2003 a blood clot destroyed my entire small intestine. it was found accidentally by a doctor being thorough and managed to save my life in the nick of time. i had 3 surgeries, spent a month in intensive care, and 4 months after that in an extended care facility. the whole time, i could not eat, so for 6-7 months following my surgery i was fed through a tube that went into my chest by a bag of nutrients that cost $1000 per bag. this was followed up by 4 months of home care, another week in the hospital because of an infection and then one more outpatient surgery to remove the hickman cath when i didn't need it any more. i had first rate care, no one ever once asked me for a penny while i was in the hospital amd didnt see the first bill until i was out for several months. the initial cost of the whole deal was nearly 1/2 a million. my share of it, after insurance (which was paid by my employer) was $2800.

in canada:
this happened to my leg being run off the road by a car while riding my bicycle

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...y8original.jpg
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...y7original.jpg

the surgeon brought in a drywall repair guy with an 18V cordless drill to do this to my leg
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...ridr/xray3.jpg
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...ridr/xray1.jpg
what i didn't mention in my last reply was that i spent almost 4 hours after surgery with NO PAIN MEDS because the nurse hooked up my IV wrong, and i had to repeatedly convince her the proper way to do it untill she finally did.
she never consulted a doctor to check.

a year later, i still don't walk right, have alot of soreness, and was told this week by the surgeon that eventually i will get arthritis so bad the joint will need to be fused. my leg is still so swollen i can't strap on my skates without the aid of a velcro band.

i won't even get started on my wife's cancer treatments. when the economy stabilizes in the u.s. we are sooo out of here.
Old September 29th, 2008, 04:32 PM   #23
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezyridr View Post
in the states:

oct 17th 2003 a blood clot destroyed my entire small intestine. it was found accidentally by a doctor being thorough and managed to save my life in the nick of time. i had 3 surgeries, spent a month in intensive care, and 4 months after that in an extended care facility. the whole time, i could not eat, so for 6-7 months following my surgery i was fed through a tube that went into my chest by a bag of nutrients that cost $1000 per bag. this was followed up by 4 months of home care, another week in the hospital because of an infection and then one more outpatient surgery to remove the hickman cath when i didn't need it any more. i had first rate care, no one ever once asked me for a penny while i was in the hospital amd didnt see the first bill until i was out for several months. the initial cost of the whole deal was nearly 1/2 a million. my share of it, after insurance (which was paid by my employer) was $2800.

in canada:

the surgeon brought in a drywall repair guy with an 18V cordless drill to do this to my leg
what i didn't mention in my last reply was that i spent almost 4 hours after surgery with NO PAIN MEDS because the nurse hooked up my IV wrong, and i had to repeatedly convince her the proper way to do it untill she finally did.

a year later, i still don't walk right, have alot of soreness, and was told this week by the surgeon that eventually i will get arthritis so bad the joint will need to be fused. my leg is still so swollen i can't strap on my skates without the aid of a velcro band.

i won't even get started on my wife's cancer treatments. when the economy stabilizes in the u.s. we are sooo out of here.
omg, i'm so sorry! thanks for posting the pics and ur story. my break would have been a fraction as bad if i got attention immediately. i get so much flack now for sk8n, most people are clueless how dangerous, if not more so, cycling can be. thats why i sk8. its a timebomb waiting to get hit by a car. doesnt matter if you are the best cyclist in the world. i almost got killed sitting at a stoplight in my car. nowadays people dont even look while they are driving. at least w/ sk8n, i can learn better how to fall safely. thats why the old guys choose vert. well, i just hope its about healed and maybe i can move into a soft cast. i dont mind the pain if its healing.... aches lifelong, i accept that but they shouldnt be as bad as it healing. it aches all the time, sometimes its bad, other times i can pretty much tune it out.

this job totally lied to me. its not even the type of work i do but they offered me no money either. i will stick in my field wh/ i enjoy if noone is offering money. but only w/ good medical, w/in 3 months!!
Old September 29th, 2008, 05:25 PM   #24
biffsk8er

Quote:
in the states:

in canada:

cheezyridr, these are both your stories?! You did not just copy them off the internet? Dang! I've had trouble with medical treatment before, but you are the poster child for bad luck. You should immediately go HERE.
Old September 29th, 2008, 07:49 PM   #25
roller_dudette
skate addict!

when i can, guess i will move to oz!
Old September 30th, 2008, 12:14 PM   #26
cheezyridr
sandwich samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffsk8er View Post
cheezyridr, you are the poster child for bad luck. You should immediately go HERE.
hahaha!!!! i totally got a good laugh from that, thank you!
truth is, for the first "incident", something really really good came out of it all.
it was worth going through it. the 2nd one.... not so much
Old September 30th, 2008, 02:39 PM   #27
biffsk8er

Quote:
hahaha!!!! i totally got a good laugh from that, thank you!
truth is, for the first "incident", something really really good came out of it all.
it was worth going through it. the 2nd one.... not so much

How could that first incident, worth half a mil, have had something really good come out of it?? Do tell.
Old September 30th, 2008, 03:05 PM   #28
BleeckerSt_Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller_dudette View Post
i get so much flack now for sk8n, most people are clueless how dangerous, if not more so, cycling can be. thats why i sk8. its a timebomb waiting to get hit by a car. doesnt matter if you are the best cyclist in the world.
Actually, your chances of serious injury are higher when traveling on foot or in a car as opposed to riding a bicycle. Merely crossing the street as a pedestrian in a crosswalk can be viewed as a 'time bomb' too.
And of course if you practice smart defensive traffic cycling, you can increase your safety level way above the average cyclist who is in fact often rather clueless in traffic. Most bicycle vs. car injuries happen because cyclists put themselves into a dangerous traffic situation they could easily have avoided if they did some reading and research. And again, even with all the dumb cyclists making safety mistakes left and right, most bicycle injuries are not serious or fatal as many fear mongerers would have you believe.

This is a very good article with quite a few eye-opening statistics on the dangers vs. benefits of cycling:
http://www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/health/risks.htm
(You have to read more than just the first paragraph or two to understand the article's information fully.)
Overall, regular cyclists live longer and healthier lives than non-cyclists.

I have ridden about 7,000 miles over the past 3 years....ALL of it on public roads, right in traffic (no sidewalk or bike path riding here). I regularly ride 30-40mph on highways, I also ride in congested town traffic conditions, and i ride much of the way through winter. I have not fallen once or had any accidents or injuries whatsoever (knock on steel).
Old September 30th, 2008, 06:59 PM   #29
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleeckerSt_Girl View Post
Actually, your chances of serious injury are higher when traveling on foot or in a car as opposed to riding a bicycle. Merely crossing the street as a pedestrian in a crosswalk can be viewed as a 'time bomb' too.
And of course if you practice smart defensive traffic cycling, you can increase your safety level way above the average cyclist who is in fact often rather clueless in traffic. Most bicycle vs. car injuries happen because cyclists put themselves into a dangerous traffic situation they could easily have avoided if they did some reading and research. And again, even with all the dumb cyclists making safety mistakes left and right, most bicycle injuries are not serious or fatal as many fear mongerers would have you believe.

This is a very good article with quite a few eye-opening statistics on the dangers vs. benefits of cycling:
http://www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/health/risks.htm
(You have to read more than just the first paragraph or two to understand the article's information fully.)
Overall, regular cyclists live longer and healthier lives than non-cyclists.

I have ridden about 7,000 miles over the past 3 years....ALL of it on public roads, right in traffic (no sidewalk or bike path riding here). I regularly ride 30-40mph on highways, I also ride in congested town traffic conditions, and i ride much of the way through winter. I have not fallen once or had any accidents or injuries whatsoever (knock on steel).
yes, true. same thing many vert sk8rs will say, just need to learn how to fall then its fairly safe.

i know a cyclist that died from making a left turn on a bike. motorist didnt see him. probably wouldnt have died being in a car. if 2 wheels were safe i would be riding a scooter. just making a point all these activities pose danger. i'm not sure if ur a mom but ur a good one!
Old September 30th, 2008, 07:26 PM   #30
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

----Never seems to cover enough !!!
Old September 30th, 2008, 10:06 PM   #31
BleeckerSt_Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller_dudette View Post
yes, true. same thing many vert sk8rs will say, just need to learn how to fall then its fairly safe.
I agree, learning how to fall well does reduce injuries.

Quote:
i know a cyclist that died from making a left turn on a bike. motorist didnt see him. probably wouldnt have died being in a car.
Probably wouldn't have been hit at all in a car. Bikes are often hard to see, so cycling defensively and safely means assuming that the cars around you don't see you, ....and riding accordingly. Also, many bikers get hit by cars during left turns because they A) pull up alongside of cars at the intersection (in their blind spots, thus creating an extra lane on the right where there is none) and B) proceed to turn left from the right hand side of the lane, thinking they are safer that way. Cars won't see them there. And just because one has the right of way doesn't mean others are going to give it to you.

Quote:
just making a point all these activities pose danger. i'm not sure if ur a mom but ur a good one!
Yes, I'm a mother and I have taught my two daughters (27 and 30) well in terms of safety.
Old September 30th, 2008, 10:28 PM   #32
roller_dudette
skate addict!

well i'm adhd, so for me i would be more at risk on the road. and i was never taught defensive cycling..... esp w/ the cell phone crazied drivers out there.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 08:06 PM   #33
cheezyridr
sandwich samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffsk8er View Post

How could that first incident, worth half a mil, have had something really good come out of it?? Do tell.
basically they told me i was going to be handicapped, unable to eat and digest regular food. God had other plans for me. turned my whole life around.
Old November 4th, 2008, 05:06 PM   #34
patience77

Default check your policy before you choose

as was said each is different and most have a pre-existing clause but if you dont go to the doctor for you arm the entire time you are on your arm then you have to see adoctor for it it is possible it may be covered may be not all depends on the ins co. if you had any coverage through a spend down card or other state funded medical assistance program they may cover it since it covered it. make some calls and ask around. most companys consider medical assistance program coverage prior to private insurance coverage none the less so ask questions.
Old November 10th, 2008, 04:12 PM   #35
cheezyridr
sandwich samurai

interesting how all the sigs and avatars are mixed up