S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Aggressive Skating Forum > Buying Skates
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Buying Skates Tips and advice about buying aggressive skates plus information and opinions about all of the different aggressive skate models.

Old July 6th, 2009, 01:53 PM   #1
musicmad

Default Advice On Choosing The Right Outdoor Speed Quad

Hi to all skaters

Could anyone! help me out here? I'm an outdoor semi aggressive quad skater who enjoys speed, and I'm trying to find the right Riedell outdoor speed quad to fit my style, could any advanced skaters out there suggest what boot or bearing would be the right one for me?

I've had my eyes on the..

Riedell 265 Ronin outdoor speed skate.

Kiwi Abec-9 bearings,

Wheels 66mm Radar pure outdoor wheels,

Nova Material wheel with urethane hub.

But have been told on this boot to downgrade the Abec 9 bearing to 5 or 7 to suit outdoor skating better, is this right ? Or better still what is the best bearing to use! for outdoor skating, 5-7 or 9 ?
musicmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 07:16 PM   #2
biffsk8er

I'll be honest with you......as long as I have been skating, I have never really cared about which abec to use. As long as you service your bearings often, clean them and relube them, you'll be fine.

I agree with your boot choice; especially any boot that has an ankle strap to firm up the support for your ankle! I also like the padding around the back of the ankle on these boots.

What type of skating do you do? That can make a big difference on my wheel choice. Outdoor skating can be really tough on wheels, depending on what you do. Jumps? Ramps? Parking garages? Hockey? Distance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmad View Post
Hi to all skaters

Could anyone! help me out here? I'm an outdoor semi aggressive quad skater who enjoys speed, and I'm trying to find the right Riedell outdoor speed quad to fit my style, could any advanced skaters out there suggest what boot or bearing would be the right one for me?

I've had my eyes on the..

Riedell 265 Ronin outdoor speed skate.

Kiwi Abec-9 bearings,

Wheels 66mm Radar pure outdoor wheels,

Nova Material wheel with urethane hub.

But have been told on this boot to downgrade the Abec 9 bearing to 5 or 7 to suit outdoor skating better, is this right ? Or better still what is the best bearing to use! for outdoor skating, 5-7 or 9 ?
Old July 7th, 2009, 01:16 PM   #3
musicmad

Hi biff

Basically I'm an semi aggressive outdoor skater who likes speed, maybe the odd jump here & there or one or two tricks but nothing too intense. The other boot I've been looking at was the..

Riedell Celebrity 120 Outdoor Quad Skate

Leather Lined Boot Power dyne Nylon Chassis,

Kiwi Abec-7 Bearings

Radar PURE Black Wheels 66mm 78A (black)

PD Round Black Toe Stops.

Price: $249

These dudes along with the Riedell 265 RONIN boot are the only two boots from the Riedell store that I like.. I know the CELEBRITY 120 is a lot cheaper then the RONIN 265 priced $399 but I'm only looking out for the best boot here.. really don’t know which one to go for in terms of best outdoor quad, advice! anyone..
Old July 7th, 2009, 02:49 PM   #4
cliff

Default Bones Reds bearings

I use Bones China Reds bearings for outdoor quads. I have had no problems after about nine months with three sets of bearings in three sets of wheels.

I cleaned them about a month ago, and it looked like all I really needed to have done would have been to apply some lubricant (Bones speed creme).
cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 08:00 PM   #5
biffsk8er

Cliff, it appears that maid is trying to buy a comprehensive skate package. An outdoor skate sold already put together. Judging from the two options, I'd have to go with the Ronins :

& not the Celebrity :

Unless, you are someone who prefers a high ankle boot. Besides the fact that the Ronins, and the wheels are a higher quality product.
Old July 8th, 2009, 02:28 AM   #6
Armadillo

Default Get the cheapest decent boot skate & scrap wheels

None of the skates you are considering come with good outdoor wheels.
So, go cheaper & use the savings to upgrade your wheels to Velocity Race.

Wheel quality has more affect on outdoor skate experience than anything else.

-Armadillo
Old July 8th, 2009, 10:56 AM   #7
musicmad

Are all bearings of a standard fit for quads ? meaning if i go for the RONIN 265 and in the future want to upgrade to a better bearing, will all bearings fit without checking dimensions etc ? Which is the most popular boot style for men, is it the ankle boot or the high boot, or is it a case of personnel preference ?

biff that was not the Celebrity 120 Outdoor Quad Skate i ment, this! is the one i was talking about.

http://www.skates.com/PhotoDetails.a...120B-CELEBRITY
Old July 8th, 2009, 11:54 AM   #8
cliff

Default 7mm and 8mm

Quote:
Are all bearings of a standard fit for quads? . . . . will all bearings fit without checking dimensions etc?
No. There are two main bearing sizes. These sizes relate to the diameter of the axle. The "7mm" size is found in high-quality indoor artistic skate setups and in many others as well. Many outdoor setups have the "8mm" axle, but some outdoor plates have the 7mm axle. And some indoor plates have 8mm axles. Both sizes of bearings are widely available. But you have to pay attention when replacing bearings.

There is the standard No.2 American pencil test. I think it goes like this: If such a pencil can slide inside the bearing, it's a 7mm bearing. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Both sizes of bearing will fit into the same hole of the wheel itself.

Last edited by cliff; July 8th, 2009 at 11:57 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old July 8th, 2009, 03:10 PM   #9
biffsk8er

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff View Post
There is the standard No.2 American pencil test. I think it goes like this: If such a pencil can slide inside the bearing, it's a 7mm bearing. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
I've never heard this. I'll have to test out this theory!

Clip axles are almost always 7mm from my experience. If you are using 7mm axles and bearings, and skating aggressive at all in the great outdoors, you will bend your axles. Go with 8mm outdoor axles and bearings.

Quote:
biff that was not the Celebrity 120 Outdoor Quad Skate i ment, this! is the one i was talking about.
http://www.skates.com/PhotoDetails.a...120B-CELEBRITY
I'd still go with the speed boot, unless you like the high ankle support.
Old July 8th, 2009, 03:50 PM   #10
RS Dave
YOU'RE GONNA LOVE MY NUTS

Bearings of any real quality will have the size stamped on the side of the shields.

627 - 7 mm bore
608 - 8 mm bore

Don't get 688 or 698 bearings. They require special wheels with a larger hole in the hub.

If you see a Z or ZZ following the number that just means they are shielded (which you absolutely have to have for outdoor use).

As for ABEC ratings they have nothing to do with the quality of a bearing or how fast they spin. It is simply a standard for how close to the blueprint size the components of the bearing are made to. (We're talking in .0001 of an inch increments here).

The most important factor in the speed of a bearing is the lubricant used. Oil is the fastest but you'll spend most of your time taking your bearings apart and cleaning and reoiling them. Use a good quality grease, gently wipe the dust off the outside of the bearings on a regular basis and they'll last for years of regular duty skating. If you do a lot of heavy jumping sometimes the bearing shields will get dented. A big dent will make a discernible noise as the bearing balls pass over it.

"Of course I talk to myself. It's nice to talk to somebody sane."
RS Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 04:02 PM   #11
biffsk8er

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS Dave View Post
If you see a Z or ZZ following the number that just means they are shielded (which you absolutely have to have for outdoor use).
Great info, Dave!!! I never knew most of that stuff. I just looked for the modestly priced bearings. Makes me want to go check to see what my current bearings say!!

I do take the covers off my bearings on one side. I replace the bearing oil with lithium grease normally used for boat trailers. When done right, and then replaced with the open side of the bearing inside your wheel, it will last a long time and be practically water proof. Leave a little excess grease on the open side of the bearing so that any dirt stuck to this 'outside' grease becomes a new shield, and does not enter the bearing. Resist the urge to clean off this dirt barrier.

I know some of you are cringing, but I swear by this! I've done it for years with major success. Do keep your outer shields on, though.
Old July 9th, 2009, 11:48 AM   #12
musicmad

How do I find out what the bearing size is for the RONIN 265 there doesn't seem to be an axle size shown in the boot description online?

Quote:
Cliff: Both sizes of bearing will fit into the same hole of the wheel itself.
Meaning! even though there's only two bearing sizes "7mm" & "8mm” both of them will fit on to the same axle ?
Old July 9th, 2009, 12:04 PM   #13
cliff

Quote:
How do I find out what the bearing size is for the RONIN 265 there doesn't seem to be an axle size shown in the boot description online?

Meaning! even though there's only two bearing sizes "7mm" & "8mm” both of them will fit on to the same axle ?
No.
1. The metal axle that is attached to the skate plate has a diameter -- about the same as a pencil.
2. The urethane wheel has two diameters:
a. the diameter of the outer surface that touches the floor;
b. and the diameter of the hole in its middle.

I was saying that item 2b, the diameter of the hole in its middle of the wheel, is the same for most quad wheels.

So, ordinary bearings will fit into most wheels when you put together the bearings and wheel.
But these bearings have two common sizes as far as sliding the bearing-wheel assembly onto an axle.

Last edited by cliff; July 9th, 2009 at 12:08 PM. Reason: clarification
Old July 9th, 2009, 12:17 PM   #14
musicmad

Dave! Bear with me I'm new to skate dimensions, but I'm a little confused.. Cliff said there are only two main bearing sizes "7mm" & "8mm" but you go on to say..

Quote:
Bearings of any real quality will have the size stamped on the side of the shields.

627 - 7 mm bore
608 - 8 mm bore

Don't get 688 or 698 bearings.
What is this ? or better still could anyone educate me by providing an axle/bearing dimension chart ?
Old July 9th, 2009, 12:46 PM   #15
ursle
Street Skater

Outdoor skates all use 8mm axels
if on the odd chance you bought a used setup with 7mm axels you could get a sleeve that slides on the axel to make it an 8mm axel, all outside and most inside wheels have the same size bearing cut out, both 7 and 8mm bearings will fit in all outside and most inside wheels
yer after outside skates- till yer after inside skates don't concern yerself about 7mm axels and bearings
apples and oranges

7 and 8 mm bearings have an o.d. of 7/8" or 22mm

698 or Mid Size Bearing 3/4" or 19mm O.D.. 688 or Mini Size Bearing 5/8" or 15mm O.D
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2009, 03:35 PM   #16
RS Dave

Quote:

The 7 mm and 8mm refers to the bore or hole in the middle of the bearing that slides over the axle. A 7 mm hole will obviously not fit over an 8 mm axle, and an 8 mm hole would be too sloppy on a 7 mm axle.

The online store you are looking to buy from will have an email address and likely a phone number so you can contact them to find out the specs of the skates you're interested in.

Old July 9th, 2009, 05:12 PM   #17
biffsk8er

Quote:
If the skate is sold as an outdoor skate, I'd bet dollars to donuts that it has 8mm axles and bearings. Or you could contact the website via phone or email and ask them! I'll bet they have a contact page with that info.

Quote:
No. The hole in the middle of the outdoor bearing will be 8mm wide. An 8mm bearing will only properly fit an 8mm axle; It would be too big for a 7mm indoor axle and would cause your wheel to be loose if placed on the smaller axle.

An indoor bearing, 7mm, would be too small to go onto an outdoor 8mm axle at all.
Old July 9th, 2009, 09:42 PM   #18
RS Dave

Horton gets beat up by a Who??

Old July 9th, 2009, 09:50 PM   #19
musicmad

Guys thanks for all your helpful advice!! Sorry to have been a pain over all the axle diameter business, but I've recently found a website which has provided me with the whole anatomy of the quad skate, Oohh!! What a relief.. now i get the picture.

Thanks
Musicmad.
Old July 9th, 2009, 09:56 PM   #20
biffsk8er

You are welcome!