S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old January 9th, 2018, 04:10 AM   #1
markwphoto

Default The Zen Of Rollerskating

So for the past few years I've been analyzing my skating as well as others and taking detailed notes on what I can do to improve. I finally decided to make sense of all of these notes and put them together in a cohesive format. I've tested my findings on myself as well as used them with my wife and it's really helped make us both better skaters practically overnight. I started a website/blog with my findings and I do believe I'm on to the secrets of roller skating. This is not a finished site and I'll be adding more examples, images and videos to it as I have time but for now I thought I share what I have thus far with everyone here. Let me know what you think and if any of it helps you with your skating! Start with history page and go on from there.

https://skating.learningwithmarkwarren.com
markwphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2018, 07:46 AM   #2
larryoracing

Smile Excellent Blog...Horray! Check out the enclosed links, below:

Part 1, American Dance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2lWFVDSQ1M

Part 2 American Dance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgRua6RuTas

Dear Mark,

Excellent Blog or website. I really enjoyed it and I think it is helpful. I don't always agree with what you say, but it's because I don't think I really understand it all. Like you said your wife takes you and your coaches comments literally not fully grasping the meaning. Over time she realizes what you say and what your coaches say is the same thing, but it takes time to fully ingest it and understand it and put it to practical use. I will fully understand your explanations in do time and fully appreciate them. It's called learning and learning is not learned the first time or overnight!

I have included a link to the first definitive teaching of American Dance.

If you view it, I think what you are teaching is what is known as "Posture Baseline". An imaginary line that goes through employed shoulder, down through the body and hip, legs and finally ending at the ankle.

Thanks for the link.

Sincerely,

Larry O

P.S. I look forward to meeting you at the 2018 SW Pacific Regionals. But I don't think I will be doing a freestyle this year???? I would skate Novice Men Freestyle anyhow...lol! Since you are younger than me, I don't think we will ever skate the same event. I'm 63.
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2018, 01:00 PM   #3
Ancient1

Default Nice blog posts that you have

Hi Mark,
Nice blog and very helpful. I added a response to the one foot topic on a strength technique I would use at the beginning of my practice to give my ankles and legs extra strength. It isn't a balance move but more of a muscle strengthening move.

One more topic you might consider adding is that on the physics or momentum (you touched on some aspects but there are more to touch on). This to concentrate on is non canceling actions and canceling actions such as: In jumping you want everything going up at the same time and in time with each movement your body part makes. In rotation you don't want bending at the waist which will slow the rotation and look terrible at the same time. Also how movement down the floor can translate into height and hang time and aid in rotation.

I think you would be great at describing the physics of skating along with what you already have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwphoto View Post
So for the past few years I've been analyzing my skating as well as others and taking detailed notes on what I can do to improve. I finally decided to make sense of all of these notes and put them together in a cohesive format. I've tested my findings on myself as well as used them with my wife and it's really helped make us both better skaters practically overnight. I started a website/blog with my findings and I do believe I'm on to the secrets of roller skating. This is not a finished site and I'll be adding more examples, images and videos to it as I have time but for now I thought I share what I have thus far with everyone here. Let me know what you think and if any of it helps you with your skating! Start with history page and go on from there.

https://skating.learningwithmarkwarren.com
Old January 9th, 2018, 03:03 PM   #4
Derrick

Default So far I got through the balance section

After further review I have remove my original post ��

Last edited by Derrick; January 17th, 2018 at 09:47 AM. Reason: never mind
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2018, 06:21 AM   #5
Oicusk82huh

Markwphoto, you seem like a natural teacher. I think you may even be doing it when you're not aware (for example in this, and your other post about knee injury/recovery). You are very resourceful. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and love for the sport.
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2018, 03:19 AM   #6
BPTS
I made your Mom blush....

Great blog and thank you for taking the time to do such.
I am in no way shape or form a figure skater (former speed skater, fast shuffler) but some great information.