S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old January 23rd, 2012, 12:27 PM   #141
inlina
ABEC42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
I'm not a fan of WD 40 or Silicone grease / spray for skate bearings.. Silicone is intended to aid sliding not rolling... But give it a try.. You never know, you might just have the next big thing..
+1. Silicone lubricant is usually intended for journal bearings and sliding mechanisms (great in a bike brake cable outer). Rolling element bearings need oil, either as a straight oil or in grease.

WD40 is a mixture of solvent and oil. The oil component is fundamentally the same as 3-in-1 (same company too) but the solvent thins it out. Not ideal for our bearings.

CG
Old March 1st, 2012, 01:34 PM   #142
rollin76

Default Anyone Used WD40 to clean bearings?

I've heard thru the grapevine that WD40 works well or even silcone spray to clean and lube but just wanted to get an expert opinion?
rollin76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 03:04 PM   #143
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollin76 View Post
I've heard thru the grapevine that WD40 works well or even silcone spray to clean and lube but just wanted to get an expert opinion?
If you have nothing else for cleaning WD40 can help. I use it sometimes when resurrecting ancient treasures.. However, I NEVER lube bearings on sk8s with either..
Old March 2nd, 2012, 07:50 PM   #144
Elysarian
Ex-Pat Wiganer

Quote:
If you have nothing else for cleaning WD40 can help. I use it sometimes when resurrecting ancient treasures.. However, I NEVER lube bearings on sk8s with either..
I used to use WD40 as a lube when I didn't know any better, probably killed a few bearings that way (anyone know what the solvent base is in that stuff?)

As stated previously, I used trichloroethelyne for cleaning and changed to this stuff after CFC's became "A Bad Thing" (leaves no residue and is often sold as a cleaning fluid for video/audio heads) and 3 in 1 or sewing machine oil as lube.

Now with added Daughter!
Elysarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 08:28 PM   #145
bolivia

Are the plastic translucent shields used on some Fafnir 8-ball bearings easily removed? Need to clean a couple of sets and don't want to ruin any of these shields.
bolivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 09:32 PM   #146
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolivia View Post
Are the plastic translucent shields used on some Fafnir 8-ball bearings easily removed? Need to clean a couple of sets and don't want to ruin any of these shields.
I know of no translucent shields on Fafnirs... I think you are referring to the crowns that space the balls out. I have heard of it being done but I have not..
Old March 16th, 2012, 09:39 PM   #147
bolivia

In that case I'll clean around them with a cleaning agent and carefully applied compressed air.

Thanks Doc
Old March 16th, 2012, 10:41 PM   #148
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolivia View Post
In that case I'll clean around them with a cleaning agent and carefully applied compressed air.

Thanks Doc

Tooth brush too..
Old March 16th, 2012, 10:54 PM   #149
bolivia

Quote:

Tooth brush too..
Yep, got a small dedicated toolbox drawer for those......
Old March 24th, 2012, 07:16 PM   #150
Stumpynash
Dead Lea Moonshine

anyone know if you can get replacement rubber shields for Qube juice bearings? I'm skating on a really filthy concrete floor and the constant cleaning is taking it's toll on the shields.
Stumpynash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2012, 09:59 PM   #151
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolivia
Quote:
I know of no translucent shields on Fafnirs... I think you are referring to the crowns that space the balls out. I have heard of it being done but I have not..
Back when I didn`t know any better I popped one of those retainers out and cleaned the bearing, real good. Put it back together and it rolls today just fine. What I didn`t know then was that when that retainer is removed the balls are free to do whatever they want to up to and including falling out of the races. I got lucky. I`ve not done it since. Got into a scuffle with a couple of forum members about this method of cleaning, about what the retainer actually does and so on and so forth and blah blah blah ... I got lucky, end of story. The little argument was dropped, thank goodness cause I was losing lol.
Word of advice, leave the retainer retained. They`ll clean good enough without having to remove it.
Old April 7th, 2012, 01:52 PM   #152
Ricky

I use mineral spirits in a jewelry cleaner for about 4 hours then let them dry out and add 1 drop of full synthetic oil.
Ricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 10:37 AM   #153
Skatecat

got a new suggestion for lubing bearings. We used to use graphite powder in our old skateboards 35 years ago. worked a treat and a side benefit was that because it's dry it does not attract dirt and bind it. Have not tried it on quad skates though
Skatecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 12:09 PM   #154
Elysarian
Ex-Pat Wiganer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatecat View Post
got a new suggestion for lubing bearings. We used to use graphite powder in our old skateboards 35 years ago. worked a treat and a side benefit was that because it's dry it does not attract dirt and bind it. Have not tried it on quad skates though
Never been a fan of dry lubricants in ball bearings myself, have used graphite powder for lubrication of locks and other sliding surface items though.
One of the functions that oil/grease perform along with helping the bearings slide is as a coolant.

Now with added Daughter!
Elysarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2012, 08:59 AM   #155
scubask8tr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatecat View Post
This has been done to death. Use the search function.
scubask8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2012, 05:48 AM   #156
jenningsthecat

I used to favour mineral spirits, (Varsol and the like), but my skin is starting to get a bit sensitive to it, and I hate using gloves. I also don't like the smell, and the fact that, when I use it in the house, the vapour condenses everywhere and I end up smelling it all over again when I turn on the stove or use the toaster.

I started using 99% isopropyl alcohol, but it left a patina on the bearings that looked suspiciously like rust. I think it probably was rust, given that alcohol is hydrophilic, and also evaporates fast, which cools the bearings, which can lead to condensation. And in my experience, some bearings seem to acquire a coating of oxidation really fast - I'm talking minutes.

Now I use isopropyl alcohol mixed with oil, about 5% to 10% - I'm not too picky about the exact ratio. This leaves a thin film of fresh oil that protects the bearings, and leaves them shinier than alcohol alone did.

As for lube, I used to use 90-weight gear oil, and it seemed to be fine. But my 3-month-old Qube 8's, (which I haven't cleaned yet, so they have the original factory grease in them), roll so much better than my old bearings that I'll try to get something as close to factory-original grease as I can when I clean them. (Speaking of which, does anybody here know what kind of grease is used in the Qube 8's, and where I can get some?)

I thought my old bearings, (a mix of Swiss Bones and Fafnirs), were fairly good, but when I started skating on the Qube 8's they rolled so much better that it actually took a couple of sessions to get used to them. I used to believe oil was best, and figured grease was just for outdoor skating, but now I've had to reconsider...
jenningsthecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2012, 01:37 PM   #157
cass38a

I just use plain old axle grease used for lubing car bearings, works a charm, lasts 10 times longer than oil too. I don't think there is all that much difference between all the oils despite what the little special bottles say.

99 percent of the stuff they say about skate bearing lube is just to get people to part with their money.
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2012, 03:00 PM   #158
jenningsthecat

Quote:
99 percent of the stuff they say about skate bearing lube is just to get people to part with their money.
I agree fully - that's why I used gear oil at $7 per quart, rather than specialty skate bearing 'voodoo potion' at 7$ per ounce.

Still, I'm thinking there may be something special about the white, almost-translucent grease used in my Qubes. It's far thinner than the automotive bearing grease I've used in the past, (and that I still use on bicycle bearings), and while it's white, it doesn't look at all like lithium grease. Maybe they've found a viscosity 'sweet spot' for skating-type bearing loads. Or, it could just be that the bearings are really good, and the lube isn't critical... I guess I'll find out in a few months when I clean and re-pack them.
jenningsthecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2012, 07:44 PM   #159
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

http://www.klueber.com/en/products/lubricating-greases/
Old October 9th, 2012, 08:17 PM   #160
cass38a

Quote:
If you drill down thru the products on this site which product did you come up with?
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote