S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Hockey and Other Roller Games
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hockey and Other Roller Games Discussions about hockey played on inline skates, quad roller skates, and ice skates. Also includes discussions about other games played on skates such as roller basketball and rollersoccer.

Old June 7th, 2008, 11:13 PM   #1
Derek

Default Any ice hockey players??

I browsed around the forum and found that mostly everyone here plays inline hockey. I played inline hockey for about 2 years and just switched over to ice in December. Anyone have good tips/recommendations regarding skating/shots/equipment?
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 11:03 PM   #2
insig

Talking Ice Hockey Players

Hey Derek,

My story is the exact opposite. I grew up with ice hockey and only started playing roller last fall when I moved to a place that doesn't have an ice rink.

It seems to me there are certain things that I did when playing ice that either people don't do as much or are more difficult to do in roller. One being stopping on a dime. Because ice hockey has an onside/offside rule, sometimes it is necessary to stop quickly at the blue line because your team mate hasn't taken the puck into the zone yet. That being said, you then have to dig in hard and fast to break towards the net. So, I would mainly suggest getting good at stopping and starting quickly.

I don't notice players stopping quickly as much in roller, and frankly, I find it very difficult to do.

Also, learn how the puck moves on the ice. The puck is heavier in ice hockey and has a different ("faster") response to the surface than a puck on a sports floor. You'll have to get used to shoulder pads, which a lot of inline hockey players don't wear. You need the extra protection from a heavy, hard puck and sharp skates.

This may sound funny, but I would also practice falling. The ice is harder than the floor, plus you WILL slide. You need to practice to not hurt yourself if you slide towards the boards, especially head first.

Have fun and be safe! I miss ice hockey, but I do like roller alot.
insig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 03:48 AM   #3
Derek

Thanks for the tips. I think practicing falling would be pretty useful seeing that I race back to block shots quite often.....sometimes sliding too close to the boards
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote