S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Hockey and Other Roller Games
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hockey and Other Roller Games Discussions about hockey played on inline skates, quad roller skates, and ice skates. Also includes discussions about other games played on skates such as roller basketball and rollersoccer.

Old October 6th, 2008, 02:07 AM   #1
Curious Cat
Hockey Nut

Default Thinking of Taking Up Inline Hockey

Hello,

I've just started to learn how to skate (had 3 lessons so far), and was thinking of taking up inline hockey. No one seems to be able to give me a straight answer about how good a skater one should be before they should realistically think about learning how to play.

That leads me to my question, what skills should one have down pat before they contemplate picking up a stick and attending a skills/dev sesison? (I cant find any total noob sessions, so Id be mixing it with people who know what they are doing)

Cheers

(Note: Im from Oz, hockey is very big here at all. You wont find a game happening outside of our 2/3 skating rinks which advertise it)

Last edited by Curious Cat; October 6th, 2008 at 03:36 AM.
Curious Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2008, 11:57 AM   #2
peter

The best hockey players will not be thinking about theirskating - it will all come naturally to them. But that is years of practice for you.

However, as long as you can accellarate, turn and stop, give it a go. I remember my early days of roller hockey, As soon as I got on the rink I tended to forget that I was no good at skating and found myself doing moves on skates l would not have attempted if I'd thought about it.
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2008, 03:23 PM   #3
leetamm

I think a lot of it depends on the guys you'll be playing with and if they are willing to be patient with you and help you along. It also of course depends a great deal on how determined you are to learn and improve.

I just started playing myself and though I'm not a newbie skater I was really worried about how it would go since I've never played hockey before, so I e-mailed the guy over the league and was totally honest about my lack of experience and just asked if it was still ok for me to come out and play. He said yeah, it's a developmental league and the guys who can play well tend to help the guys just starting out, so I went out and everyone seems to be very accepting and willing to help me overcome all my rookie mistakes. I think they're all just glad to have another person to play as hockey is also not big at all in this town.

It is true that when you're playing and focused on the puck you tend to be able to do things on skates you might not have thought you could, but I would recommend practicing as much as you can on the fundamentals that Peter mentioned plus learning to skate backwards. Youtube has a lot of great instructional videos by the way.

Let us know if you start playing, I'd be curious to hear your experience. I for one am glad I went for it, 'cuz it's a blast to play.
leetamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 05:56 AM   #4
Curious Cat
Hockey Nut

Thankyou for the answers.

Im guessing the most practical stop in inline is the tight turn? (Are there any quick stops from speed besides that one?)

Ill spends some time on youtube and keep hammering the skating lessons.
Old October 7th, 2008, 02:58 PM   #5
leetamm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Cat View Post
Im guessing the most practical stop in inline is the tight turn? (Are there any quick stops from speed besides that one?)
It depends on the situation really. When I'm playing hockey I don't think that much about how I'm gonna stop or turn in any given situation, I just do. Having said that then I think it's good to practice all the different types of stops and turns so that they start coming naturally to you when you're playing.
Old October 10th, 2008, 02:40 AM   #6
Curious Cat
Hockey Nut

Good point. Thankyou.

Hockey lessons wont be starting up for a few weeks yet, lots of time to practice stopping and skating backwards.

I cant wait to get off the crappy hire skates and into something of my own. It will be interested to see whether my skating takes a step forward or backwards.

Skate prices here are insane. A pair of Mission Wicked 1s, for example, retail for $1200+. (I wouldnt buy wickeds tho, maybe something from the syndicate lineup)
Old October 10th, 2008, 07:14 PM   #7
leetamm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Cat View Post
Skate prices here are insane. A pair of Mission Wicked 1s, for example, retail for $1200+. (I wouldnt buy wickeds tho, maybe something from the syndicate lineup)
Holy Crap! I have the Mission DSX myself, which you can see in my avatar. I'm happy with them, but then they're my 1st ever hockey skates so I can't compare them to anything else. They were stiff as boards when I 1st got them, so I baked them which helped. They've gotten more and more comfortable over time. I think that is normal with hockey skates in general.

Last edited by leetamm; October 10th, 2008 at 07:23 PM. Reason: mispelling
Old October 13th, 2008, 01:09 AM   #8
Curious Cat
Hockey Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by leetamm View Post
Holy Crap! I have the Mission DSX myself, which you can see in my avatar. I'm happy with them, but then they're my 1st ever hockey skates so I can't compare them to anything else. They were stiff as boards when I 1st got them, so I baked them which helped. They've gotten more and more comfortable over time. I think that is normal with hockey skates in general.
The DSX looks like a good pair of skates. Im definately thinking of getting an entry level skate.

Im hoping that the mission line is the same size across the different models.

Thanks for the info about the stiffness, Ill remember that when im skating around with sore feet (it cant be much worse than hire skates!)
Old October 17th, 2008, 01:11 AM   #9
Curious Cat
Hockey Nut

Looks like I will be going to my first hockey lesson next week. I checked out the beginner's class last night. There wasnt any real need to be able to turn and stop on a dime yet, so I should be able to learn to skate and learn hockey at the same time.

By the looks of things, Im at least twice the age of the rest of the students and the only female.

Now to sweet talk my boss into letting me shift my hours so I can go to classes!