S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Hockey and Other Roller Games
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hockey and Other Roller Games Discussions about hockey played on inline skates, quad roller skates, and ice skates. Also includes discussions about other games played on skates such as roller basketball and rollersoccer.

Old August 26th, 2008, 05:16 AM   #1
dukeofism

Default Hockey Skates

Right now I only own a pair of Fitness Skates (some k2 mens from about 2 years ago). In terms of use for roller hockey, what advantage does having "hockey skates" give you over using fitness skates like I have?
dukeofism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 01:21 AM   #2
leetamm

I think the main advantage of hockey skates is maneuverability, and I believe this comes from having generally shorter frames and from either a hi/lo or tri-di wheel setup. For example my Mission hockey skates have a hi/lo setup meaning the 1st 2 wheels are 76mm and the back 2 are 80mm. A tri di setup I think would be something like 72mm, 76mm, 76mm, 80mm front to back. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I actually don't play hockey, if only because I haven't found any other guys yet in this town who are interested, but I love my skates...they are indeed very maneuverable.
leetamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 05:05 AM   #3
inlina
ABEC42

There are a number of differences between a rec and a hockey skate which may or may not make a difference to your game.

- overall geometry - hockey skates tend to have optimised deck height to keep your foot close to the ground and more forward pitch for sprinting (although that can vary a lot from brand to brand).

- boots - Usually quite stiff through the lower areas to ensure they are responsive. The support around the ankle is also generally stiff for control but that varies from boot to boot. The boots are also not as comfortable as your aveage rec skate, and finding one that suits your foot (which should be your most important consideration in slecting a skate) can be a challenge. The higher end stuff is heat moldable, but that doesn't always help.

- wheels - hockey skates typically come with soft, grippy wheels with low abbrassive resistance. They have terrible life if you use them outdoors and may only last a season indoors. You can easily add hockey wheels to your rec skates for a quick hop-up to your game.

- frame - usually as short as possible to ensure it is responsive for tight turns. Also usually aluminium alloy or similar for speed, stiffness and strength to weight.

- general - the strength, durability and weight are usually optimised towards the type of abuse they take in play. This doesn't really translate to good durability for much other than hockey. They are also designed for short spribnt and turns. If they were your only skates, they are not ideal for touring on bike paths etc.

Whether these differences will really change your game depends on the level you are at. If you are still a beginner, you may find it not worth your while. If you are advancing throuhg the hockey ranks the differences may help you take your play to the next level.

CG